I was at Sandos Playacar April 13-21 2012 for my desitination wedding with 43 friends and family. We had two kids (6m and 3 yr) and then 3 teenagers (13, 14, 17) and then the rest adults ranging from 18-76.
Everyone enjoyed Sandos. The food was great (especially our wedding reception at the Mediterranean!) and there was always something for everyone. Here is my detailed review, tailored to those considering a destination wedding as Sandos.
CUSTOMER SERVICE - excellent. there were hiccups with room assignments and so I had to be patient and work with the hotel staff to resolve some issues throughout the week. Bottom line - they will not refun anything but they will work with you to re assign rooms. Room service was slow (about 40 min) but its a big hotel. Also, the golf cart service was not as long of a wait as some said, there was always a vehicle within 10 min.
LOCATION - great! It was a short 15 min. walk to a market and starbucks if you wanted trinkets etc, or a 70 peso (7$usd) cab ride to 5th avenue in playa del carmen. Beach was good, hotel has everything you need and tours pick you up from the meeting point.
FOOD- Great. typical fair for all inclusive but my favs were the meditteranean for our reception (we had cream of asparagus soup as one option and people ordered seconds!) and the filet steak was AMAZING. best steak I have had in mexico (this was my 7th trip to mexico and I usually find steak mediocre) Other favs. was italian buffet for custom pasta (but there is always a line up there), steak house was good as well, you can custom your side options and sauce for the steaks). Breakfast we ate at the adults only option being the steak house.
Rooms - We were in a Rivieria Suite in the Adult section. Definitely nicer than the beach side rooms or the hacienda jr. suites. Reason is riviera rooms (8000 or 9000 blocks) are newer, twice the size, flatscreen tv jaccussi tubs, walk in showers, couches, beds on real bed frames (vs. concrete blocks) and just nicer overall. We went into hacienda units and beach units visiting some people and there were still nice just not as nice.
WEDDING PLANNER -lupita was excellent. She made everything seemless. we got married on the beach with simple linens and had the sandos symbolic wedding package (free with 5 rooms booked 7 nights or more). I had to pay for the wedding comissioner (350) the fee to get married on the beach (125 i believe) and then 4 boquets of flowers (211). Total was 681 for my wedding.
PHOTOGRAPHER - I used the photograher on site (lillo from hotel shops) and got the most expensive package (1700usd) which I dont regret. Photos were amazing, he knew his stuff and made the process easy for everyone involved. it also included 4 photo albums with photos (professional ones done by computer) which we got the day after we selected which images we wanted in them, and 110 photos. Also we got a disc of all our pictures.
ENTERTAINMENT - there is a disco on site and tons of nightly things for people to do and see. Most spent time at one of the bars (there are quite a few) at night to chat and hang out. The mini bars in the rooms were aso stocked daily. No complaints with being bored. I didnt have a private reception or cocktail reception nor disco. Our party went to coco bongo after dinner at 10pm for dancing and the bouqet toss! Super awesome night!
Any questions feel free to message me!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos