“Great time but beds were hard.”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Playa del Carmen and the Sandos Playacar resort. My girlfriend and I spent 5 wonderful nights at this all inclusive resort. Overall our experience was great but there are a few cons. First and foremost was the room. We upgraded to a better room to have a balcony but ended up on the first floor of a 10 room Hacienda. It turned out ok and was semi-private with our own small pool.

The biggest issue we had was the bed. It was just a mattress on a cement slab, which made it very hard. The pillows were like bricks, too. We asked for softer pillows at the desk but just got four more of the same hard pillows. We had friends that traveled with us that were in a different section of the resort who said their bed and pillow were the same.

We do have to give credit to the staff. Everyone was very friendly and did their best to be helpful. Manuel at the pool bar was always cheerful and smiling. The only exception was the bike rental guy. Bikes were included but when we decided to ride into town we were told there were no bikes avaiable and that you couldn't reserve them although there were two bikes sitting right there. When we asked, the guy seemed to not understand what we were saying. He told us to come back in about a half hour, which we did only to find the two bikes that were there gone and no more bikes had come back. At that point we decided to just take the cab. It was much quicker and only cost $7.00.

The food was great and there was always plenty of it. I am sure I gained weight on this trip. The drinks, however, were obviously a little watered down. The strawbberry margaritas tasted like they were made with cool-aid. Even the wine and beer seemed "light.". We quickly learned that a few dollars in tips got you better drinks and the mudslides were pretty good after that.

For the price we paid it was a great trip. The beach is beautiful, the staff does a great job in keeping people entertained and there is plenty to see and do. But if you have back or neck issues, i wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definately ask for an upgrade. Our friends went with the standard rooms and ended up very far from...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dennis1189
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Checked out a couple days ago. Friend had laptop and cash stolen from her room. Security checked the key card data on her door to see if anyone besides her or the maid had access to the room. Management discovered someone had been able to get a copy of a key to her room. Whether this was done by staff or another guest, the fact that they had easy access to a key for a room that didn't belong to them was MESSED UP (fyi everyone that has a master key to rooms like housekeeping and maintenance has their name pop up whenever it is swiped. A printout of every swipe that day showed the normal ins and outs by staff who had legitimate reason to be there except for that key that had just been made as replacement for a "lost" key).
Thankfully it was just stuff missing, but what if this person was disturbed or violent and physically attacked them? They had access to their room the whole time we were there and could have come back at any time.
Hotel protocol was to search their room and mine- I understand they have to cover their own butts. But, once they had evidence that someone had gone down to the lobby or meeting point and got a copy of their key, they said they would interview staff and try to figure out what had happened.
Dude that was helping us was friendly and I think genuinely concerned and stressed because he knows this makes them look really bad. He was honest with us letting us know that it is a process and could take awhile to investigate which we understood because their staff is massive. But, damage is done. No one should feel like their safety should be compromised- especially in paradise. Hopefully whoever this individual is gets caught and gets what's coming to them.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank yumi876
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I had the opportunity to experience Sandos Playacar resort this month and was pleasantly surprised. This 4 ½ Star Family resort is on a prime location south of Playacar in the Riviera Maya and their beach is one of the nicest in that area.

The resort is geared to families catering to them in many ways including the larger rooms with pull out sofas, lots of activities for the kids including animals on the resort (children love seeing the iguanas and even monkeys in the trees), the multiple pools, great dining options and wonderful Entertainment crew. I was only there for a day so only got to see the rooms. They are large and well appointed even with pull out racks on the balconies to hang wet swimsuits (nice touch!) I understood that the beds are quite hard but everyone has different tastes on bedding.

I experienced lunch at the Grand Buffet and it exceeded my expectations. Very fresh and a lot of variety. Drinks by the pool were also very nice. The two families I spent the day with had children aged 9 to 17 and stayed in the Riviera section. Even the teens had good things to say! I would recommend this resort to families and it’s a great value

1  Thank cruisewoman
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We recommend SANDOS to anyone who wants the following: Beautiful beach, gorgeous pool, world-class entertainment and beautiful grounds and surroundings. On the first day, my kids (ages 5/7/9) went crazy as we walked to the beach from our room and encountered Poncho the mule, a 2 foot iguana and two little monkeys swinging from palm tree to palm tree. The wildlife is just one part of this tropical place. Although the landscaping is amazing the beach is breath taking. Beautiful clear turquoise water with soft white sand on the bottom...just perfect! The pool is gorgeous too! I was especially impressed with the entertainment! Every night the performances were top notch, very authentic and true to Mexican culture. They really go out of their way to entertain and make people happy. Every night there was a special event and the PLAZA was decorated to that theme.
The food and drinks were very accessible with great variety. Drink stations were everywhere. I have read the several reviews saying the the food was mediocre well...I was happy because every meal at the Festival Buffet provided me with a fajita station and fresh salsa with a bowl of fresh cilantro to top it! YUM!
Now for the service...it was THE BEST! The workers were very happy...always smiling and eager to please. I especially loved our server at the FESTIVAL named MARGARITA. She was so happy and loving towards my children. My 5 year old daughter loved Margarita and cried when we had to say goodbye. We added a picture of Margarita to our book of memories as she really made a great impression.
Some of activities at the KIDS CLUB included: Tennis Lessons, Performance in DISNEY SHOW, and Fashion Show and water olympics. The kids loved it!
The only thing that needs improvement to this resort are the beds. I felt that they really should upgrade the mattresses and sheets.
I really didn't know what to expect of Sandos as we selected it because it was the best value for a family of 5, well I was so pleasantly surprised. We have been to 7 different all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and SANDOS is one of our favorites. We hope to return soon.

3  Thank rebecca M
Reviewed 27 April 2012

SANDOS WAS A WINNER FOR OUR FAMILY! It is very difficult finding the perfect place for 3 children (5,7,9) and 2 adults, but we found a true treasure in SANDOS. We vacation at all inclusive resorts every year seeking beautiful beaches, landscape, poolside. We also seek great entertainment and special events. Sandos gave us all of these and more!

First, my kids went crazy over the monkeys in the trees, the 2-3 foot iguanas and the donkey named Poncho. They also loved the kids club which included 2 performances at night and tennis lessons. My husband and I loved so many things about this place from the great atmosphere and happy staff which included the worlds NICEST SERVER NAMED MARGARITA at the Festival Buffet. We made sure to sit in her section all 6 breakfasts and lunches. My 5 year old daughter cried when we had to say goodbye and Margarita embraced her with a small gift (a bracelet that she hasn't taken off her wrist).
As far as the entertainment.... you will NOT be disappointed with the evening events that take place in the Plaza/theater/and Disco. The entertainment crew really puts great effort to make each evening event special and theme oriented. I felt like my children really had a taste of the mexican culture!

The beaches were beautiful (turquoise water), soft sand and plenty of chairs. The poolside could get crowded but then again I was there during the most hectic week (Easter). The food had great variety and the drinks were as strong as you wanted them to be. The only down side was the beds. I think they could use better mattresses and higher thread count sheets. But that is my only suggestion.

I highly recommend SANDOS for anyone especially families. I was introduced to it because the price was soooo reasonable (at first I was scared of what I was going to get because it was significantly lower than any other resort) I was so extremely surprised to have had one of my favorite vacations.

We hope to return to SANDOS next year!