Just got back from a wonderful trip to Playa del Carmen and the Sandos Playacar resort. My girlfriend and I spent 5 wonderful nights at this all inclusive resort. Overall our experience was great but there are a few cons. First and foremost was the room. We upgraded to a better room to have a balcony but ended up on the first floor of a 10 room Hacienda. It turned out ok and was semi-private with our own small pool.
The biggest issue we had was the bed. It was just a mattress on a cement slab, which made it very hard. The pillows were like bricks, too. We asked for softer pillows at the desk but just got four more of the same hard pillows. We had friends that traveled with us that were in a different section of the resort who said their bed and pillow were the same.
We do have to give credit to the staff. Everyone was very friendly and did their best to be helpful. Manuel at the pool bar was always cheerful and smiling. The only exception was the bike rental guy. Bikes were included but when we decided to ride into town we were told there were no bikes avaiable and that you couldn't reserve them although there were two bikes sitting right there. When we asked, the guy seemed to not understand what we were saying. He told us to come back in about a half hour, which we did only to find the two bikes that were there gone and no more bikes had come back. At that point we decided to just take the cab. It was much quicker and only cost $7.00.
The food was great and there was always plenty of it. I am sure I gained weight on this trip. The drinks, however, were obviously a little watered down. The strawbberry margaritas tasted like they were made with cool-aid. Even the wine and beer seemed "light.". We quickly learned that a few dollars in tips got you better drinks and the mudslides were pretty good after that.
For the price we paid it was a great trip. The beach is beautiful, the staff does a great job in keeping people entertained and there is plenty to see and do. But if you have back or neck issues, i wouldn't recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos