Checked out a couple days ago. Friend had laptop and cash stolen from her room. Security checked the key card data on her door to see if anyone besides her or the maid had access to the room. Management discovered someone had been able to get a copy of a key to her room. Whether this was done by staff or another guest, the fact that they had easy access to a key for a room that didn't belong to them was MESSED UP (fyi everyone that has a master key to rooms like housekeeping and maintenance has their name pop up whenever it is swiped. A printout of every swipe that day showed the normal ins and outs by staff who had legitimate reason to be there except for that key that had just been made as replacement for a "lost" key).
Thankfully it was just stuff missing, but what if this person was disturbed or violent and physically attacked them? They had access to their room the whole time we were there and could have come back at any time.
Hotel protocol was to search their room and mine- I understand they have to cover their own butts. But, once they had evidence that someone had gone down to the lobby or meeting point and got a copy of their key, they said they would interview staff and try to figure out what had happened.
Dude that was helping us was friendly and I think genuinely concerned and stressed because he knows this makes them look really bad. He was honest with us letting us know that it is a process and could take awhile to investigate which we understood because their staff is massive. But, damage is done. No one should feel like their safety should be compromised- especially in paradise. Hopefully whoever this individual is gets caught and gets what's coming to them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos