“Sandos Playacar Beach Resort great for families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Signal Mountain, TN
“Sandos Playacar Beach Resort great for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed at the Sandos last fall October 2011 and are returning in June 2012. This is a great resort for all ages. There are lots of activities for the parents-tennis, yoga, water aerobics, spin classes. Activities for teenagers-game room, pottery, beach volleyball, pool games, etc. We found something for everyone in our family. The beach is absolutely stunning and lots of activities going on every day if you want to be active. The evening entertainment is not fabulous, but at least it's something to do onsite.

The food is not stellar, but we have found this to be true at most all-inclusive resorts. There is definitely variety and the ala carte restaurants are great. The Asian is definitely our favorite!
Hamburgers on the beach are really good and salads are readily available. The lobby bar has great coffee drinks and ice cream for dessert.

Be prepared to wait at check in as it is a long process. Overall, this is a great value for the money and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Beach rooms are the most convient to pools, restaurants and beach. Riviera section is a long walk!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lori B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,759)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Italia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

After reading other reviews, I feel obliged to give my feedback.
I've returned this monday from Sandos Playacar and I have to say that many of the things written by others are way far from my experience.
- Check-In : it took 5 minutes. I appreciated the multinational staff. Anna was very nice and helpful, while having also an italian lady at the desk, Francesca, helped.
- Elite Member staff : I've been there 10 days and I've NEVER been approached by any of those beige-suited persons. Even if they should have approached me, by the way, I would have simply told them in a nano-second that I wasn't interested. Easy...
- Restaurant reservations : first of all, if you didn't want to stand in line, you can just use the phone... on every desk it was well written and highlighted that the restaurants reservation was available both at the desk and on the phone, from any room. Easy. Here is my restaurants schedule:
Day 1 - Festival Buffet
Day 2 - Asiana
Day 3 - Festival Buffet
Day 4 - El Gaucho (steak house)
Day 5 - Festival Buffet
Day 6 - Mediterranean
Day 7 - Mexican (no reservation needed)
Day 8 - Brasilian
Day 9 - Dinner out (excursion)
I reserved every time for 4, me, my wife and my 2 daughters aged 5 & 7.
I had literally NO ISSUE in reserving and I also got to change the time of a reservation one day, for the Mediterranean, because I was out for an excursion and I knew I would have returned late. Ah! I had a regular blu bracelet, which means that I was no royal, no elite... just regular.
- Tour operator: no one should blame Sandos for other operators not showing up at meetings and/or for a transfer reservation made with another company...
- People at the desk: always very kind and helpful. I always tried to speak in spanish a little bit. and if it didn't work, I would switch to english (I'm Italian). With a smile (and a little attention to the watch... just avoid the "peak times"!), the service was excellent and I NEVER had to stand in a line.
- Picture people: I don't get someone comments on this issue... if the price is 21 USD and you don't want to pay that much, simply avoid buying the photos! The photographers (mostly italian girls) were nice and not pushy at all: after I understood what the price was, I just told them "no thanks" every time they politely asked me if I wanted a photo taken. I don't understand how one can pretend to decide the price of the photos or complain for that: guests are not paying ONLY for the actual print... of course... it's not about mark-up here... they ask a price for the service. That's the price: you think it's too much? Great, forget the service!
- Kids Club : the girls at the Kids Club were three (not 2), for usually 10 to 12 kids. This is much more than the teacher-student ratio of my daughters school... They enjoyed the Club A LOT and we had to "force" them to stay with us some time because they always wanted to attend the Kids Club activities. The "tiny little pool" was in fact two separate pools, one with a slide, both MORE than enough to contain the number of kids attending the Club. I don't know about any dirty toys mentioned in other reviews... what I know is that my daughters have done sand castles, olympic games, water balloons wars, eggs decoration for Easter, etc... Not to mention the Disney Show! They loved it. And my wife and I either!

By the way... now that I've given to Sandos what's due (I can't stand unreasonably bad reviews...) let me give you guys at the hotel a few advices on things I didn't like as much as the first time I've been there (New Year's Day week 2011):
- Where have the fruit and vegetable smoothies gone? I loved to get those juicy drinks on the beach, but now they were not available at all, apart from breakfast. It's a small thing, and not a great cost for you: have them back!!!
- Food could be better at Festival Buffet: I found it not as varied and diverse as it used to be. But still... I've had only 3 dinners there in 10 days, so it's ok. There were no real themed nights, nothing special, every day looked and tasted pretty the same... Anyway the food was average to good. I'm just saying it used to be better...
- Night shows: you shouldn't repeat the exact same shows on the exact same nights every week! We've been there 10 days, as mentioned, and we had 2 nights with the same Michael Jackson show and 2 nights with the same Decades show, which by the way were the same as last year shows... (only different cast). I understand the weekly Disney show, to give each kid staying at the resort at least 1 chance to act, but the others show should vary much more!
- Hotel Extras/Beds: they are INSANELY EXPENSIVE! I know they are not Sandos, but being patronized by you, you should take care of the prices: both transfers and excursion cost up to double the price you can find in Playa del Carmen, or even only in Plaza Playacar, a short walk from the resort. You shouldn't patronize this "thieves": if people pay the whole price with Hotel Extras and AFTERWARDS find out that the price was 50 to 100% more than the "regular" price of the EXACT SAME excursion (or transfer) then you'll get some bad comments...

Anyway, Sandos is still good and many things were improved so I recommend it to everyone.
Just remember that if you want "5 STAR LUXURY", than you should look somewhere else like Mayakoba, but the rates would be double those of Sandos...!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank anto1975
Maple Ridge District Municipality, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We travelled to Sandos with my husband, two daughters (one teenager), and my parents. The resort is BIG. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. We were a long way away from the beach but it really wasn't a problem for us, sometimes we walked and other times we took the the 9 person golf cart. Hold On! They drive really fast, the kids loved it. The service was great at the buffet and the a la cartes. We LOVED the Italian buffet. The beach was beautiful however you can not snorkel here! If you wish to snorkel, go elsewhere. I'm getting rather tired of these resorts with their high pressured time share people. Every single time we walked through the lobby we were approached. A simple no thank you was never good enough, they did not let up. If you book a meeting with them to give you their sales pitch they offer you something in return. Also listening to the pitch gets you into the VIP areas that the regular customers are not privy to. Sorry you paid thousands of dollars for your family to come to our resort, but, you're not good enough to enter our VIP areas. I just did not feel like giving up my vacation time to listen to a sales pitch for something I know we would not buy into.Sorry if I sound a little bitter, I really did enjoy my time at this resort. We've been to Mexico several times and love this area. We loved taking out the bikes and riding to Playa for lunch at Senor Frogs. We went bike riding a couple of times and loved it! They also provide locks so you don't have to worry about your bike being stolen. The entertainment was great, as was the entertainment staff. The bartenders were very friendly and fast. There's a great little place right on the beach that serves hamburgers, fries, and hot dogs, the cooks were super friendly! This was a great vacation spot, we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Tammy S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

The adults only section is the only way to go if you don't have kids there is a nice area of the hotel sectioned off for adults. I did not like how you had to make reservation for restaurants. The Asian restaurant was just ok. It was the only one we tried, other than breakfast which was good. The service was friendly. The rooms were dated in dacor but clean.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elonge
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed in the adults only section April 7-15 and loved every minute. We were greeted by Alberto at the desk, he was so friendly and hospitable! He set us up in the best room available as close to our kids as possible. He really set the mood for us to have a perfect vacation, he also remembered us later on in the week to our surprise.

Our room was pristine every day, lots of towel art. Every employee we met always greeted us with a genuine smile and "Hola". Because we were with our kids and grand kids the buffet was our choice most nights and the variety surprised us,don't miss the Italian section, the waiters were always so sweet with the grand kids.

The adult section was seldom very busy so it works well if you want peace and quiet but we couldn't bring the kids there so we mostly swam and played in the family section. There is a lovely lunch bar there, lots of salads.

The main pool was very busy, I suspect you may have trouble getting a lounge chair there in the afternoon although we managed it and this was Easter week, the resort seemed packed but this was the only place we felt the crowds, there and in the evening. I really liked that there was two spots to gather for drinks and entertainment, the Meeting Place and the Theater. The quality of entertainment was so much better than I expected! At other resorts I've found this lacking but not here.

And then there's the Beach.....what can I say....

This was a perfect vacation spot for us, the eco-friendly aspect sits well with us,loved the complimentary hour at the spa every day, every small issue was dealt with easily and immediately. Thank you Sandos Playacar, I'm so happy I've found you!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family