My party of 8 stayed in condo's 417 (2 bed, 2 bath penthouse) and 413 (3 bed, 3 bath penthouse) for 10 days in May 2012. From the minute I made the initial enquiry on the website, every single member of staff I encountered was helpful, informative and quick to respond to any of our needs.
I personally stayed in 417 and the condo is decorated tastefully with touches of Mayan furniture and a clean, fresh look. The bedrooms and beds are a great size with plenty of cupboard space. Ipod docks throughout are a great addition and the kitchen is exceptionally well equipped. Unlimited free purified water which can be hot or cold and a huge fridge. The rooftop is excellent in this condo, large enough to host barbeques for a party of 8 (and probably a lot more!) The view is spectacular and you are not really overlooked as you are one of the highest condo's. Plenty of towels and a choice of types of maid service is great- you can choose from just towel replenishment through to a full clean. Some of our party are used to staying in 5 star resorts so this was a first for them and they loved it.
413 is a much bigger condo spread over 3 floors so plenty of indoor space. The rooftop there has all the same features (jacuzzi, barbeque etc but it is much smaller than 417 and does only have a partial sea view but is more than adequate).
There are no lifts in these condo's so if you choose a penthouse you will have to walk up the few flights of stairs. Staff are quick to carry your bags up and we never found the steps to be a problem at all although we are all adults so if you had babies and small children you might want to choose a lower floor.
The complex of the Maya Villa is stunning and the gecko pool isn't the kind of pool for swimming lengths but fab for a refreshing dip after a day at the beach! True, the pool area is mostly shaded but it provides a lovely retreat from the scorching sun and if your idea of a holiday is laying by a bog standard square pool which could be anywhere in the world then you probably would think its not adequate. But with the beautiful beach about a 40 second walk from the Maya Villa why would you want to lie by a pool anyway!?
Some previous reviewers have commented on the beach and the boats in front of the Indigo Beach being a problem but in our opinion, it added to the style, look and culture of the country and we found it to be picturesque and interesting. If you walk about a minute either way of the beach club you can go in the sea minus boats, no problem. The sand is pure white and yes, there is some seaweed around the boats and at some points along the beach but at 8am every morning we saw people out on the beach, collecting it and making it perfect for the day. Indigo Beach Club is amazing, the beds are comfy and the staff exceptionally attentive and really friendly. They constantly make sure you are ok and help you with umbrella's, drinks and food. The food itself we all found to be excellent, moderately priced and tasty (we often had breakfast and lunch there). Big thanks to Roberto who looked after us every day and made us laugh : )
The condo's are about a 2 minute walk to 5th Avenue where there are lots and lots of shops, bars and restaurants. You can't hear any noise from these condo's at all and we found the atmosphere of the 5th Avenue "strip" to be fun, interesting and part of our visit. Yes, it can get annoying that the staff of the shops and restaurants try and shout to you to come in their shops but you have to remember that tourism is the reason they survive so of course they'll try and sell to you. We found a polite shake of the head or a "no thanks" was enough. Failing that just keep walking! They aren't pushy and wont harass you down the street.
Finally, to put this review in perspective, we are a group of 8 from London ranging in age from 21 to 53. Between us we have holidayed in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Florida and various European countries staying in anything from 2* b&b's to 5* luxury hotels. We all found Maya Villa to be exactly as described, a safe, clean, spacious place within immediate walking distance to everything you could need. If you are looking to stay at a fully luxurious complex where you don't need to walk past the hotel reception for food, drinks and a massive pool then this isn't for you. But if you love the feel of a boutique style villa complex with personable staff, excellently equipped condo's, your own personal outdoor space and a location that cannot be beaten then you need to book this place. I cannot recommend it highly enough for a brilliant holiday and already I'd love to return!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immerse yourself in a unique combination of modern luxury and Mayan magic at this exquisite condo hotel located steps from the white sand beach. Seventeen spacious condominiums are nestled among lush vegetation that make this condo hotel your own tropical oasis. The condominium is surrounded by Mayan art, handcrafted by the region's most talented Mayan artists. Enter trough the great Mayan arch, and find yourself in the midst of greenery, cascading waterfalls, and a sparkling heated pool made of jade-colored and gecko-shaped mosaic and glass that give it the name of Jewel of Playa. Some of the penthouses offer amazing views of the Caribbean sea which is just half of a block away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maya Villa Condo Hotel And Beach Club
- Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen