“Wonderful stay in the PH”

The Elements Oceanfront & Beachside Condo Hotel
Ranked #98 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Wonderful stay in the PH”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My review is a few months late but hey, better than never. I was in Playa for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years and spent the first week at this condo. We had the PH unit with gorgeous ocean views and a balcony. I have stayed in many places in Playa and this was by far the best.

Pros: most condo units that I have rented only provide maid service once but Elements provided it daily which was great. There was also a w/d in the unit, welcome basket upon arrival and a private Jacuzzi upstairs on the roof. We used it daily. The unit was clean and comfortable and the a/c worked like a dream. Also free wifi.

Beach: there is a roped off area in front which is rather boring. No music, service etc but at least you have a place to lay your head. Our favorite beach club is right next door so we never really hung out in front of the condo beach. We did however get the best massages here! $20 for a hour- amazing. I had three in the seven days I stayed.

Cons: the gym here sucks. It’s a tiny room with not a lot of equipment. Not a big deal.

Overall: love this place and can’t wait to come back again for Christmas

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank RoxxyGirl
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We looked at the Elements the year before and thought we would love it there, we did but...

I have vacationed in Playa del Carmen many times. We always rent a high end condo. Wow to my surprise they have a cockroach infestation that needs to be taken care of. We stayed seven weeks Jan/Feb 2012 and it just got worse and worse. They would spray but then back they would come. I was told it is the tropics and that is to be expected. Excuse me, I've travelled throughout the carribean and not had this problem. This is the first negative post I've written in 30 years.

Imagine stepping on a cockroad in your bathroom yuck. It made our stay very uncomfortable... The Elements could easily be a 5 star but lack to care is causing it to go downhill. The pool got murky and dirty for two of the seven weeks. We had to call maintenance several times for repairs. Frankly we paid for a top end place and only got an average one.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MiMifromWI
PlayaMayaGuy, Director of Sales at The Elements Oceanfront & Beachside Condo Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Hello Mim,

We're glad to hear, that overall you loved your experience at the Elements! We're sorry that you had an isolated bug problem in your unit. The Elements has a regular spraying program in effect so this is was an unusual event. All Elements units include daily maid service to assure that they are always clean. But as you're aware, in the tropics one will find a dead bug on the floor from time to time. We are always working hard to make sure our units are in 5 star working condition so we very much appreciate your input. We hope to see you again when your return to Playa!
Blainville, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Stay of 9 January 2012 to February 20, 2012, at 15 penthouse.

This is our second stay at the Element. We are a couple with a child 2 ½ years.

The tenants before us had not left the previous day and they were expelled in the morning of our arrival. We waited 3 hours to integrate our condo. We were disappointed to find our condo poorly cleaned when we arrived and were forced to redo the whole household to be comfortable.

We have not had our welcome basket.

Sylvia our maid did not clean our condo the first two weeks of our stay but after Damien superintendent of the situation, she did a good job.

Compared to past years where we were at pH 14, there was not a lot of towels and we were only three people. No bath mat, one wash cloth and linen for bedding were stained and withers. We had to buy wine glasses as there were none. No flat plastic or glass leftover food which is not practical when we cook every day.

By cons, public areas and grounds are well maintained, we enjoyed the beach monitoring. The past year anyone could use the chairs. This year, the guards made sure that people who used the chairs were many customers Element.

Very disappointed maintains the pool compared to last year. Last year the employee who took care of the pool doing a great job. For observing the employee for six weeks this year, it was very bad job. What caused the water to the pool to be quite blurred for a week. Then one day they had to empty the pool with pomes and bring in tanker trucks to fill it!

We did not appreciate having ant colonies throughout the kitchen and living room, or cockroaches we found in the laundry room.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, the concierge Damien dedication is greatly appreciated, it offers an efficient service in case of trouble and without him it would be difficult to have such a good service.

I still recommend the place especially for families with children as the pool is well suited for them and the private beach.

But I give as a three star rating overall.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tino643
Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed here the last week of February, 2012. I'm a little surprised about a bad review here I just read and am, frankly, skeptical of some things said. In any case, here is my experience.

We went with another couple and rented a "penthouse." A penthouse unit includes a rooftop area with your own freestanding hot tub and sitting areas. It is very private and we enjoyed having the extra amenities there. In fact, I watched the sun come up several times with a cup of coffee in the hot tub. The unit was quite nice with two bedrooms and two baths. The kitchen area has a full size fridge, microwave, stove, and everything you would need. A trip to the Mega grocery store and we had snacks and the makings for breakfasts. A dishwasher and washer/dryer for clothes are also in each unit. There is a great balcony and wall to ceiling windows facing the water. There is a road between the hotel and the beach but it is more like a service road. It is not busy at all and quite safe even for kids to cross. It is made of paving stone and not very wide. We didn't really view it being there as a negative.

This is not really a hotel. It is a condo property and all the units are privately owned and leased when the owners are not around. So, the furniture and decorating will vary from unit to unit, but I'm guessing they are all pretty nice. When we arrived late on a Friday night, we were given a welcome pack that includes a cellphone that you can use to call the concierge,Damien, at any time. Nice touch. We did call him with a couple questions and met with him the next day. He is very helpful and friendly and usually on property. I'm guessing that not all the condo-owners wish to rent their units so many units were not being used. There is no hustle and bustle that you would experience at a typical hotel and the overall experience is very personal as the help at the front desk quickly knows you and they are also very helpful. There is no in-house bar or restaurant, but there are so many options around you, including your own kitchen, that we did not find that to be a problem.

The pool area is beautiful and we found it and the grounds to be well kept. I swam in the pool and found the temperature to be pleasant and the pool clean. The beach is interesting. With the entire width of the hotel, you have a private beach area right in the middle with lounge chairs. It was never busy and there was no problem of people saving seats with towels and that sort of thing. To the left and right of the private area were public beach areas. The one on the left seems to be a staging area for fishing and diving boats. We enjoyed watching the activity over there, but I can see where some people might not. The beach itself is quite nice and the comment someone else made about smell is not accurate. When you walk the beach, as we often did, you occasionally get a whiff of something that smells sulfur-like. You get this everywhere, even in front of the most expensive resorts further down the beach, but it is just an occasional whiff and not something to be concerned about. Speaking of walking on the beach, a 10-15 minute walk takes you down to the busy mega-resorts around Constitution Avenue. It's fun to walk down there, but with the thousands of people on the beach, it makes me appreciate the uncrowded, quiet area that Elements offers.

A 5 minute walk down the beach takes you to Origenes Restaurant. This is slightly off the beach and is a great place. It is on Calle 38 and if you walk past the restaurant, it takes you closer to the 5th Avenue area. We found this to be a more desirable walk than directly from Elements. The first couple of blocks from Elements to 5th Avenue is probably safe, but looks a little sketchy and the girls weren't too comfortable with it. Speaking of that issue, cabs are always available from Elements and a quick ride for 50 pesos will have you in the heart of 5th Avenue. That's about $4.50 at current exchange. The rate seems to vary a bit from cab to cab, so it doesn't hurt to ask before you close the doors and take off. We found that if we caught a cab from 5th Avenue back to the hotel and offered 50 pesos, they were generally happy with that.

The wireless internet at the hotel did not work for our iPads. Damien recognizes that they have a wifi issue and said it is one of his main goals to get addressed in the coming months. We soon learned that the beach club a few hundred yards away had wifi and went and had a few beers and got the password information. So, I would walk over there once or twice a day to check my email.

Speaking of the beach club, it is right next to the public beach I spoke of earlier. It is three levels high with a restaurant and bar service. The food was quite good and you can order food while you sit on a lounge chair taking in the sun with a cocktail. Great place to people watch and the locals like it too.

So, we really enjoyed Elements and would go back. Next time I would like to stay longer! This is a great part of the world to vacation and Elements is a very relaxing place to do it.

Room Tip: If you have kids, you may like the ground floor rooms for quick, easy, access to the pool and beach...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott S
Yakima
Reviewed 20 February 2012

After viewing hundreds of condo rentals in the Puerto Morelos-Playa del Carmen area, we chose the Elements, as it looked great from the pictures, the reviews were good, and the booking process was easy. Also we felt that the rates were reasonable. I have to say that it is a beautiful building, the way it is designed. But we had a very bad welcome to the place. Being tired after flying all day from Washington State, enduring and ignoring the harassment near the taxi exit at the Cancun airport, we found that it was pouring rain. We had arranged taxi service ahead of time, so that worked out well. But it went downhill from there. This was Saturday evening, the day before the Super Bowl. When we arrived at the Elements, there was only one security guy at the front desk, and he did not speak English. He did have an envelope that had been prepared for us, so first he put those paper bracelets on our wrists, putting my husband's on way too tight, then took us to our condo, #118. He showed us the keys in the envelope and the security codes, then started to leave us there. My husband kept asking him to get another wristband, as his was uncomfortable. It took several charades-type sessions to get the message across. Finally he got the message, left, and returned with a new wristband. So we're standing there, not sure what to do because nothing had been properly explained to us. The envelope had Damien's number on it, but we couldn't get the phone to work. We tried walking to the beach club that we knew was next door, but it was dark and already closed. This was only about 7 or 8 in the evening. Then we tried to get back into the condo via a side door. The security code on the envelope for the side door didn't work. We went around to the front of the building and got a cab downtown to get some dinner. Coming back from town, by the way, a lot of cab drivers have never heard of the Elements, so you have to know the address! Anyway, we get back to the condo and find out there's no hot water! I tried the cell phone again, still didn't work, so I called the "front desk" on the phone that was on the kitchen counter. A guy answered in Spanish, I told him #118 no agua caliente, and he told me "manana"!!!! So the next morning, Sunday, we couldn't shower, and the cell phone still didn't work. My husband went down to the "front desk" (what a joke) and got them to call Damien. He said, oh, the breaker must have tripped, and told my husband where to find it. Sure enough, that was it. Couldn't someone have fixed that right away? We didn't get showers until that afternoon. Finally after another call from my husband, Damien came to the condo to show us some of the things we needed to know. One of the shower drains was plugged, and the kitchen faucet was loose. He did get those things fixed on Monday morning.

We felt that the advertising for the place was a little misleading. There was a beach club called the Royal Caribe, I believe, next door, although it seemed to close rather early in the evening. But the "beach club" in front of the condo building was nothing more than a square of roped off sand with some lounge chairs on it and a few palm trees. There was no food or drink service. One day I was walking through it to get back to the condo from the beach, and I got stopped by security, which I thought was rude, since I was obviously wearing their wristband. The little street between the "beach club" and the condo grounds was always flooded with water. You always had to walk around a big puddle. And cars were allowed to drive and park there, so that kind of ruined the ambiance. The pool was very nice, the first day. As the week wore on the water got more and more murky. Saturday when we left, you couldnt see the bottom anymore and it had a slight green tinge. "Workers" (I use that term loosely) were there every morning tending to the pool and lawn, but they spent a lot more time standing around and visiting than doing any actual work. I watched a guy spend 10 minutes mowing the same 10 by 10 foot area of grass. And it wasn't even long enough to mow. I think he was enjoying the "view" at the pool.

We finally discovered that the only way to get the cell phone to work was to go down on the ground, out of the building. The only way I could get internet service was to hang my Ipad over the railing of our balcony, and that only worked a few times. We tried using the internet in the business center, but that didn't always work either. Very frustrating! One of our last days we mentioned to Damien that the security code for the side doors didn't work, and he said, oh, you're not supposed to use that code! You use the "beach access" code! The "side door" code was only for 2 private condos! Well, how stupid of us! Why did they even give us that code if it didn't apply to us??

The elevator to our condo quit working halfway into the week, so we started taking the stairs, afraid of getting stuck!

The beach was nice, if you don't mind the smell of sewage. And the Royal Caribe had some good food and drink. However, on Thursday, all day long, they played extremely loud techno music, which made it impossible to enjoy any time on our balcony. I believe Thursday was "ladies night" but it lasted all day!

In spite of all the problems at the hotel, we still did have a lovely time. The weather was actually very good after that rain the first day. We snorkeled in Puerto Morelos, took many trips to 5th Avenue, went to Rio Secreto, and parasailed twice, just off the beach by the condo. By the way, the action of 5th avenue is quite a walk from the hotel, and part of the walk is through a kind of sketchy area. We usually took a cab.

I do want to mention that our mad, MariCarmen, was very good. She was so sweet. I didn't understand everything she said but she seemed to understand my very broken Spanish.

I don't think I would recommend this place. The condo was nice enough, although the couch in the living room was extremely uncomfortable. But we had such a bad welcome that it soured us on the place. Communication there leaves a lot to be desired. If we return to this area we will definitely stay elsewhere, maybe where the beach doesn't stink.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank diannelg56
PlayaMayaGuy, Director of Sales at The Elements Oceanfront & Beachside Condo Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Diannelg56,

We're very sorry that you experienced "Welcome" problems upon your arrival at the Elements. When a guest does not provide arrival information, the staff does not know when to expect you. In those cases, we leave an envelope with security with keys and a pre-programmed cell phone. We are the only company that provides a cell phone pre programmed with our concierge's number. We're not sure why you were unable to operate the cell phone.

The Elements does offer 2 distinctive beach clubs directly in front of the property. The Canibal Royal, which is a full food and beverage service beach club and the private Elements "Guest Only" private beach which is very tranquil in style. There is no food or beverage service at the Elements private beach because it's available directly next door . This is what is outlined on our website. The Canibal Royal and all beach clubs close at 7:30 PM by law to ensure minimal noise.

It's great to hear that after a slow start you had a lovely time and your other issues were fixed by Damien and our staff first thing the next morning. We could only have handled the other issues more promptly had you been able to contact us via the pre-programmed cell phone we provided. Unfortunately by law, the security staff is prohibited from entering the units themselves. We're sorry that Playa did experience some rain showers during your stay, many guests enjoy the respite from the sun and warm weather!

Thanks for your valuable input!

Andy @ The Elements