“Fantastic Time”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Australia
“Fantastic Time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed at the Banyan Tree for 6 nights after 3 weeks in Peru. The service at this hotel was amazing. We were greated with a refreshing drink at checkin and quickly taken to our villa and were shown the features of the villa. We ate at all the restaurants, the Tamarind and Saffron were both good although quite expensive. We also ate the Fairmont as we wanted to eat Mexican food.

Cristiano at the pool was fantastic. He remembered our names and set up our loungers to our preference. He got an extra umbrella so we both had shade and cleaned our sunglasses. When i was swimming in the pool he offered a floatation device so I could relax in the cool waters.

The buffet breakfast was very good. There is a daily sparkling wine cocktail which is quite good. The staff remember what we like to drink and of course our names. It was a joy to go to breakfast each morning.

In room dining was also very good, we ate in one evening and we had excellent service. Our food was set up outside near our pool and our waiter asked when he should come back and collect the plates. We said 1 hr, exactly 1hr later he came and cleared everything.

The turndown service was also nice, each evening there was a small gift left along with informatino regarding resort activities.There is a bath menu you can select, I can recommend the milk bath. I ordered this to assist with sunburn one evening, when it was ready there were rose petals floating on the bath and also scattered througout the villa.

We also attended a wine buffet, another activity I can recommend. We were the only people at the buffet which had 15 wines from around the world you could sample. We had excellent service and got to try some interesting Mexican wines.

Overall a fantastic resort, we stayed at the St Regis Bali and thought no resort could surpass their service although the Banyan Tree has done just that!

Room Tip: Villa 101 was close to main facilities.
1 Thank aussietraveller74
BTGroup, Vice President, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear aussietraveller74

It is of our great satisfaction to read that you enjoyed yourselves during your 6-day stay at this Sanctuary of the Senses.

The whole Banyan tree family is grateful that you have taken the time to describe your experience. We appreciate that you have highlighted the name of the employee who have impressed you. Your recap has been shared with all the staff.

We sincerely hope to have the honor to welcome you back to our hotel.

Best wishes,

Area General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I were in Mexico for 9 days on our Honeymoon. We stayed at a Westin for the first 5 days and at the Banyan Tree for the last 4. The Banyan Tree resort and staff blew us away from the moment we arrived to the minute we left. They went out of their way to ensure we had a memorable experience. The staff is incredible and the facilities/rooms are far and away the best I have ever had the leasure of experiencing. The natural beauty at the resort is amazing and the resort is impeciably designed to blend in with the surroundings and put you at ease. We left so relaxed when we left. They took care of us like we were family the entire time we were there. It's not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear viajero de BanyanTree.com

It is great that you have chosen BanyanTree Mayakoba to spend the second part of your honeymoon. We are happy to read your kind notes on Trip Advisor about your stay with us, we are delighted to know that our facilities and services have left a memorable experience.

Hoping to be able to welcome you back again,

Best regards,

Walnut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at several Banyan Trees before, and we were all pleased by their service. All of our personal hosts were great and we assumed it will be the same at Mayakoba. But no, we had the worst service ever.

We arrived at around 8pm and were welcomed by our host Susana at the lobby and she took us to our villa by buggy. Once we walked in to our villa, we realized that the room is not cleaned yet, the housekeeping lady is still in the villa cleaning while we walked in. We were disappointed by that already, so we told our host that we will go straight to dinner first and go back to our villa later. And that's that's the only time we see our host until the very very last day with an even worst treatment from her.

We stayed there for 3 nights, and at the very last day when I was packing, I saw the welcome letter sitting on the table and realized we got a complimentary 90min spa. So we walked to the reception and trying to see if we can still use it after we check out, but Alejandro said it's only good for "during our stay" and can't be use after. So we explained to him that we didn't know about it until that morning, and that our host didn't tell us about it on the first day. (From my experience with other Banyan Tree before, our host should introduce the Villa and the hotel together with all the activities that we can do on the first day) Here than Alejandro tried to call the spa and see if there are availability for us to use it at the moment.

But our host Susana sat next to Alejandro jumped in and started telling me that she welcomed me on the first day and we decided to leave the villa without giving her enough time to introduce us. Also she said that the welcome letter is sitting on the table in our villa and it's our problem that we didn't know about the complimentary 90min spa, because it was in the letter. I was shocked that she jumped in to my conversation with Alejandro, and also very mad that she tried to made it sounds like is our fault that we didn't give her enough time to introduce the villa to us. So I can't help asking her back to see if she thinks is our fault that the room is not ready when we checked in. I don't think I should stay in a non-ready for guests room to listen to the introduction. If she is responsible enough, she can check back after our dinner, or next day at breakfast (that's what other host does at other Banyan Tree), but she did not. At the end Alejandro helped us to get an appointment before we leave that day.

But to be fair, there are many other ppls that provided good service at the hotel, such as the waiter at the breakfast I think his name is Francisco, he helped us to get information for the hotel tour (which I think that should be our host's responsibility) Fernanda from the Spa, she was great, the service she provided was excellent. And also Alejandro I think he did tried to help solving the problem, unlike our host just trying to defense and not helping the case at all.

6 Thank Rowina F
Zachary, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at this resort last year for our anniversary, and it was fantastic. Do be warned, mosquito repellant is a must! We had an issue with bugs in our room one night, and the manager relocated is very quickly. The staff even assisted with our packing and unpacking, which was greatly appreciated. I was disappointed that he didn't offer an upgrade, but the next night we were given an excellent surprise! There was a beautiful outdoor bath, roses throughout the room, candles, and wine! It was the perfect surprise after a day at the beach!!! The breakfast buffet was wonderful, especially the services of a particual waiter. After the first day, he had our drink preferences down to a science. We would definately stay again!!! The spa was beautiful, but my masseuse was very rough. I was sore after the treatment.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
BTGroup, Vice President,Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Nyra L
I personally thank you for providing us and other trip advisor users with your kind feedback and recommendations. It is nice to know that our guests take their time to express their impressions.

I am glad to know that after all your stay was a great experience and that you had enjoyed your selves at Banyan Tree Mayakoba

I will be glad to welcome you back to this sanctuary of the senses.

Wishing you the best,
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just returned from a wonderful 4 night stay at the Banyan Tree. All my expectations were met. Resort was beautiful and everything I hoped for. This is a great place to stay for people desiring luxury and looking to get away from it all and don't really care to be around the touristy parts of Cancun or Mexico. I also strongly considered the Rosewood but chose Banyan Tree because of their Asian heritage, spa reputation, larger pool size, and free wifi. Looking forward to visiting other Banyan Trees around the world.

It was about 40 minutes from the Cancun airport, all on a well maintained highway in a straight shot, and was a hassle free drive. The location is probably better for people wanting to stay at the resort most of the time instead of going out to sightsee since it is inconvenient to leave and to book any tours through the hotel is exorbitantly expensive.

Service was excellent all around and the staff was always there and willing to help. Check in was a seated process with chilled towel and welcome drink. Staff was always there to set up loungers at the pool and beach and frozen treats were handed out at the beach pool. Everything you would expect to be done at a 5 star resort was.

Villa was great, pool was not a plunge pool and one you could actually swim in. Bed was very comfortable and plush as a cloud. Loved the walk in closet to put all your stuff away and amernities are plentiful.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and had lots of choices from American to Mexican to Thai and there were always a few new dishes every day so it wasn't just the same food day after day. It was a delight to find rambutans (an Asian fruit) served. I thought the dinner options were a bit limited. At the time of our visit only two restaurants were open any given night. We ate at the Thai restaurant Saffron our first night and the food was very good. The menu at Tamarind sounded great but it is all outdoor and our preference is to dine indoors in air conditioning and without bugs. We did have an outdoor lunch at Sands and I came away with 4 or 5 mosquito bites. So the next 3 nights we had dinner at the Fairmont. They have 3 restaurants open, all of which have indoor dining, and we thought the menus offered more variety. Transportation between the resorts was readily available and we never had to wait for a car. Since all the resorts in Mayakoba are under the same owner, you can even charge your meal at the Fairmont to your room at Banyan Tree.

The spa was absolutely amazing. I am a bit of a spa junkie, and I have gotten treatments at other Banyan Tree locations in Asia as well as other luxury hotels in Asia and always found Thai/Southeast Asian spas/massages to be the best in the world, so I was eager to try this Banyan Tree spa and it did not disappoint. It was certainly my top spa experience in North America, and ranks up there with the best I have experienced in Asia. The Thai therapists we had were both amazing, and it was really a treat to be able to get a top notch Thai massage so close to home without going to Asia. Most spas in the US don't even offer Thai or Balinese massages and I'm sure the other spas in Mexico don't either. Their selection of massages was great and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. We also did the Rainforest treatment, which was really just a series of 8 different rainshowers, steam rooms, and saunas. It was a fun and novel experience but it didn't make me relax like a massage does. I did love the "Vitality Pool" at the end. The spa was definitely the highlight of the stay for me.

Cons:

On two nights we found large spiders in the room and we never left any doors open for any length of time except to get in and out. Even though this is due to the location and not really the fault of the hotel, just be aware of it.

I sat in the hammock in the villa for less than 2 minutes and it fell because one end was just wrapped around the column with nothing supporting the rope underneath it, just the little tension created from pushing the looped rope high enough up the column. This is not a secure way of mounting a hammock. I wasn't hurt other than a very sore bottom but I could have easily injured myself and if it was an elderly guest it could have been very serious.

Neither of the pools have hot tubs. The outdoor bathtub in the villa had no jets in it. So unless you book a villa with a hot tub or the Rainforest experience in the spa where there are hot tubs inside, there are no other hot tub options. This seems very unusual for a resort that has everything else.

Room Tip: We booked via a third party website and the descriptions of the villas was unclear and we ended up w...
2 Thank caesar52
BTGroup, Room Division Director at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Caesar 52

We want to thank you for visiting Banyan Tree Mayakoba and to tell you that the notes and sincere feedback are very appreciated by all of us.

Thank you for writing your impressions and for sharing your concerns regarding the Hammock mounting, I sincerely apologize for the mishap occurred during your stay. We hope to have you back in the near future to make your stay perfect this time.

Wishing to have the opportunity to be at your service again,

Best wishes,