Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
  • Beachfront
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
2,308 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villabreakfast buffetvilla bbqbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartbeach club
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I were in Mexico for 9 days on our Honeymoon. We stayed at a Westin for the first 5 days and at the Banyan Tree for the last 4. The Banyan Tree resort and staff blew us away from the moment we arrived to the minute we left. They went out of their way to ensure we had a memorable experience. The staff is incredible and the facilities/rooms are far and away the best I have ever had the leasure of experiencing. The natural beauty at the resort is amazing and the resort is impeciably designed to blend in with the surroundings and put you at ease. We left so relaxed when we left. They took care of us like we were family the entire time we were there. It's not cheap but worth every penny in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BTGroup, Vice President, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear viajero de BanyanTree.com

It is great that you have chosen BanyanTree Mayakoba to spend the second part of your honeymoon. We are happy to read your kind notes on Trip Advisor about your stay with us, we are delighted to know that our facilities and services have left a memorable experience.

Hoping to be able to welcome you back again,

Best regards,

Maximilian Lennkh
Vice President
Area General Manager

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed at several Banyan Trees before, and we were all pleased by their service. All of our personal hosts were great and we assumed it will be the same at Mayakoba. But no, we had the worst service ever.

We arrived at around 8pm and were welcomed by our host Susana at the lobby and she took us to our villa by buggy. Once we walked in to our villa, we realized that the room is not cleaned yet, the housekeeping lady is still in the villa cleaning while we walked in. We were disappointed by that already, so we told our host that we will go straight to dinner first and go back to our villa later. And that's that's the only time we see our host until the very very last day with an even worst treatment from her.

We stayed there for 3 nights, and at the very last day when I was packing, I saw the welcome letter sitting on the table and realized we got a complimentary 90min spa. So we walked to the reception and trying to see if we can still use it after we check out, but Alejandro said it's only good for "during our stay" and can't be use after. So we explained to him that we didn't know about it until that morning, and that our host didn't tell us about it on the first day. (From my experience with other Banyan Tree before, our host should introduce the Villa and the hotel together with all the activities that we can do on the first day) Here than Alejandro tried to call the spa and see if there are availability for us to use it at the moment.

But our host Susana sat next to Alejandro jumped in and started telling me that she welcomed me on the first day and we decided to leave the villa without giving her enough time to introduce us. Also she said that the welcome letter is sitting on the table in our villa and it's our problem that we didn't know about the complimentary 90min spa, because it was in the letter. I was shocked that she jumped in to my conversation with Alejandro, and also very mad that she tried to made it sounds like is our fault that we didn't give her enough time to introduce the villa to us. So I can't help asking her back to see if she thinks is our fault that the room is not ready when we checked in. I don't think I should stay in a non-ready for guests room to listen to the introduction. If she is responsible enough, she can check back after our dinner, or next day at breakfast (that's what other host does at other Banyan Tree), but she did not. At the end Alejandro helped us to get an appointment before we leave that day.

But to be fair, there are many other ppls that provided good service at the hotel, such as the waiter at the breakfast I think his name is Francisco, he helped us to get information for the hotel tour (which I think that should be our host's responsibility) Fernanda from the Spa, she was great, the service she provided was excellent. And also Alejandro I think he did tried to help solving the problem, unlike our host just trying to defense and not helping the case at all.

6  Thank Rowina F
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at this resort last year for our anniversary, and it was fantastic. Do be warned, mosquito repellant is a must! We had an issue with bugs in our room one night, and the manager relocated is very quickly. The staff even assisted with our packing and unpacking, which was greatly appreciated. I was disappointed that he didn't offer an upgrade, but the next night we were given an excellent surprise! There was a beautiful outdoor bath, roses throughout the room, candles, and wine! It was the perfect surprise after a day at the beach!!! The breakfast buffet was wonderful, especially the services of a particual waiter. After the first day, he had our drink preferences down to a science. We would definately stay again!!! The spa was beautiful, but my masseuse was very rough. I was sore after the treatment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
BTGroup, Vice President,Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Nyra L
I personally thank you for providing us and other trip advisor users with your kind feedback and recommendations. It is nice to know that our guests take their time to express their impressions.

I am glad to know that after all your stay was a great experience and that you had enjoyed your selves at Banyan Tree Mayakoba

I will be glad to welcome you back to this sanctuary of the senses.

Wishing you the best,
Maximilian Lennkh
Vice President
Area General Manager

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just returned from a wonderful 4 night stay at the Banyan Tree. All my expectations were met. Resort was beautiful and everything I hoped for. This is a great place to stay for people desiring luxury and looking to get away from it all and don't really care to be around the touristy parts of Cancun or Mexico. I also strongly considered the Rosewood but chose Banyan Tree because of their Asian heritage, spa reputation, larger pool size, and free wifi. Looking forward to visiting other Banyan Trees around the world.

It was about 40 minutes from the Cancun airport, all on a well maintained highway in a straight shot, and was a hassle free drive. The location is probably better for people wanting to stay at the resort most of the time instead of going out to sightsee since it is inconvenient to leave and to book any tours through the hotel is exorbitantly expensive.

Service was excellent all around and the staff was always there and willing to help. Check in was a seated process with chilled towel and welcome drink. Staff was always there to set up loungers at the pool and beach and frozen treats were handed out at the beach pool. Everything you would expect to be done at a 5 star resort was.

Villa was great, pool was not a plunge pool and one you could actually swim in. Bed was very comfortable and plush as a cloud. Loved the walk in closet to put all your stuff away and amernities are plentiful.

The breakfast buffet was excellent and had lots of choices from American to Mexican to Thai and there were always a few new dishes every day so it wasn't just the same food day after day. It was a delight to find rambutans (an Asian fruit) served. I thought the dinner options were a bit limited. At the time of our visit only two restaurants were open any given night. We ate at the Thai restaurant Saffron our first night and the food was very good. The menu at Tamarind sounded great but it is all outdoor and our preference is to dine indoors in air conditioning and without bugs. We did have an outdoor lunch at Sands and I came away with 4 or 5 mosquito bites. So the next 3 nights we had dinner at the Fairmont. They have 3 restaurants open, all of which have indoor dining, and we thought the menus offered more variety. Transportation between the resorts was readily available and we never had to wait for a car. Since all the resorts in Mayakoba are under the same owner, you can even charge your meal at the Fairmont to your room at Banyan Tree.

The spa was absolutely amazing. I am a bit of a spa junkie, and I have gotten treatments at other Banyan Tree locations in Asia as well as other luxury hotels in Asia and always found Thai/Southeast Asian spas/massages to be the best in the world, so I was eager to try this Banyan Tree spa and it did not disappoint. It was certainly my top spa experience in North America, and ranks up there with the best I have experienced in Asia. The Thai therapists we had were both amazing, and it was really a treat to be able to get a top notch Thai massage so close to home without going to Asia. Most spas in the US don't even offer Thai or Balinese massages and I'm sure the other spas in Mexico don't either. Their selection of massages was great and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. We also did the Rainforest treatment, which was really just a series of 8 different rainshowers, steam rooms, and saunas. It was a fun and novel experience but it didn't make me relax like a massage does. I did love the "Vitality Pool" at the end. The spa was definitely the highlight of the stay for me.

Cons:

On two nights we found large spiders in the room and we never left any doors open for any length of time except to get in and out. Even though this is due to the location and not really the fault of the hotel, just be aware of it.

I sat in the hammock in the villa for less than 2 minutes and it fell because one end was just wrapped around the column with nothing supporting the rope underneath it, just the little tension created from pushing the looped rope high enough up the column. This is not a secure way of mounting a hammock. I wasn't hurt other than a very sore bottom but I could have easily injured myself and if it was an elderly guest it could have been very serious.

Neither of the pools have hot tubs. The outdoor bathtub in the villa had no jets in it. So unless you book a villa with a hot tub or the Rainforest experience in the spa where there are hot tubs inside, there are no other hot tub options. This seems very unusual for a resort that has everything else.

Room Tip: We booked via a third party website and the descriptions of the villas was unclear and we ended up with a townhouse when we wanted a villa. Any villa is better than the townhouses unless you have a bunch of kids. The bedrooms are on the very bottom floor and have no view and feel very closed in. The pool is on the uppermost level and not accessible from the bedroom like in the villa where you can jump directly in the pool from the bedroom. Furthermore, the pool in the townhouse is a plunge pool, not a large pool like in the villas. We moved to a garden villa and the layout is much more open. The 100 villas are within walking distance to the main area which was very convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank caesar52
BTGroup, Room Division Director at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Caesar 52

We want to thank you for visiting Banyan Tree Mayakoba and to tell you that the notes and sincere feedback are very appreciated by all of us.

Thank you for writing your impressions and for sharing your concerns regarding the Hammock mounting, I sincerely apologize for the mishap occurred during your stay. We hope to have you back in the near future to make your stay perfect this time.

Wishing to have the opportunity to be at your service again,

Best wishes,

Livia Martinez
Room Division Director

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I was fortunate enough to visit this property in May and suffice it to say they really made us feel special -- from the moment we arrived until we departed we were treated with considerable attention. The arrival procedure is truly unique and one I would not want to ruin for any reader... just know that you don't stand at a counter and hand over your credit card. There is a production behind the entire process. And prepare to gasp when you enter through the gate of your villa... you will pinch yourself that you're looking at a sparkling pool of your very own. We loved being able to lounge around in as little as we chose to wear behind the privacy of the walls knowing nobody else could see. You will feel like you're the only people on the property. We found ourselves startled that there were other people around when we ate breakfast. Definitely take advantage of the buggies they use to travel to the beach... it is a good 10 minute walk (and we got lost the first time out). And be sure to take the boat at some point. Take advantage of the educational programs they have, too (they list them on the daily program you get in the room at turn down). Splurge for one of the turn down services for the outdoor bathtub. Drink many of the Silk margaritas (the best ones we've ever had anywhere ever) and enjoy the guacamole (also the best we've ever had). We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank steph4867
BTMayakoba, Director de Recepción at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear steph4867

I want to express my appreciation for sharing with us and with other Trip Advisor Users you gracious feedback regarding your visit to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that our hotel features have really made you enjoy yourselves which means that our efforts and continuous training have achieve one of our goals.

Looking forward to have the welcome you back in the near future.

Livia Martinez