“*Almost* perfect”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Marin County, California
“*Almost* perfect”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Such an amazing hotel generally - the grounds, the villas, the pools and the restaurants. Design-wise I cannot even imagine finding fault with this resort. The rooms are gorgeous, and who doesn't love having a personal pool (even if it was too cold to be used when we visited earlier in the year)?

Carts were plentiful, if we didn't want to walk or bike around the grounds, but we actually enjoyed doing just that. As I was there with my four-year old son, we tended to spend the majority of our time at the main and children's pool, but the infinity pool is lovely as well.

The only flaw in our otherwise brilliant vacation occurred when one of the waiters at breakfast mid-week angrily admonished me while I was walking from the buffet to the table to "take care of my child". A young boy was running around the restaurant, almost causing collisions. The waiter apparently thought that my son (who was sitting quietly at our table) was the unruly child. The waiter pointedly watched my son the next three mornings at breakfast, which made me quite uncomfortable.

I know this was only one of many interactions with an otherwise fantastic staff, but even months later, it's actually the one that stands out. In fact, that one interaction resulted in my booking our next trip to Playa del Carmen at another Mayakoba resort.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank qwertysv
, Director de Recepción at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear qwertysv

I am very glad to read that you and your family had enjoyed yourselves during your trip to Banyan Tree Mayakoba and thank you for writing about it on Trip Advisor.

In regards of the breakfast, please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings from our side during your stay with us. The misunderstanding you described is under analysis with the personnel involved.

I do wish to have the opportunity to bring back your trust into our Banyan Tree Mayakoba or any Hotels of our Banyan tree chain on your next stay.

Wishing you the best,

Livia Martinez
Room Division Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
upper marlboro md
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Great resort, best staff ever at a hotel or resort , Top quality food and service. we had a garden villa wonderful pool in our garden, complete privicy. housekeeping was great villa cleaned twice a day and wonderful turndown gifts. can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

1 Thank cheftate
, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear cheftate
Thank you for providing us with your complimentary feedback regarding your stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba. I am happy to read that you had a wonderful time at this hotel. And are looking forward to welcome you back at your second visit.

All the best,

Area General Manager.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Classic Thai service. Land of a thousand smiles. Thai masseuses on property. Wow! I've been to a few spas, and Thais masseuses imho are the best.

Was surprised by how kid friendly the property was. Take your kids! There's enough room. Loved the tranquil breakfast setting. Loved the conservation theme.

I know most just veg out on property for the whole stay, but it would be mistake not to take a cab into town at least one night. European flair in La Playa.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Roger___H13

Your rewarding notes are very much appreciated by the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Family. Thank you for highlighting the Massage therapist skills and we have passed your comments to her.

I am so glad to hear that you had a good time during your visit and hope we are given the opportunity to welcome you back again.

With best regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This hotel is unreal. If you are going to Mexico because you love Mexico - I'm not sure this is the place for you. Once you are on the grounds you feel like you are somewhere in Thailand. Or in heaven. The poolside chips and guacamole was delicious...and that's about as Mexico as it got.
I honestly have nothing bad to say about this property. The bikes were a blast. The buggy's were always right there. The food was delicious. The staff was incredible. The rooms were impeccable. The spa was lot nothing I have ever experienced.
The pool was a teensy bit chilly. There. I said it. But everything else was exceptional. Don't hate me Banyan Tree...just warm up that pool!
Oh, and in case there are any Miami Vices left...get one of those. I drank my weight in those. Yummy!

Room Tip: If you don't want to ride the bikes, I would suggest a room close to the main area. If you don...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HavKidsWilTravel
, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Dear HavKidsWilTravel

On behalf of all the Banyan Tree staff I would like to thank you for staying with us, and for letting us know the points that have impressed during your stay and for providing other readers with your recommendations.

Your comments have been shared with all staff. We look forward to welcome you back.

With best regards,

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I am sure that this hotel is Mexicos best and probably ne of the best hotels in the world. Great service and a beutifull place in the rivira maya.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear viajero de BanyanTree.com

I wish to thank you for your complimentary comments about our hotel. It is very gratifying to know that the Banyan Tree Mayakoba team’s efforts could meet your expectations.

I look forward to welcome you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba,