“Loved every second of it!”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #3 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Loved every second of it!”
Reviewed 19 June 2012

When you discover a chain like Banyan Tree it will be hard to go anywhere else.that's why when we decided to go Mexico and Yucatan we choose Mayakoba (which by the way it's a location not the name of the hotel) two hours away from Cancun airport on a very busy highway is set on a reclaimed lagoon that hosts two more hotels. like in all Banyan Trees you wil be chaperoned around by buggies and their service is rather quick. we had a rather large villa with an annex where we took some meals and chilled. all very nice. the pool has a bit of a weird shape and doesn't really le you swim but still, due to the extreme heat, it was a blessing. the sun in mexico does not muck around. possibly one of the hurshest suns i have ever felt. food was great. breakfast as usual at BTs was a lovely experience. to us the best part was the beach. BT has a 10' away beach where most highest tier villas are concentrated. huge places for large families and staff. go there only if you are willing to travel by buggey back and forth from main restaurant area or if you have maids. having said that, the beach actually has a great restaurant where we spent most of our non-excursion days. fantastic. not going to ramble on mexico. BT is not far from Tulum, Coba and mostly Chichen Itza. i mean, these places are simply incredible and unique. worth every drop of sweat you will sweat. mexico is mexico. drivers are simply nuts! being italian i thought it would have been a bed of roses. wrong. nothing prepares you for how crazily they drive. one last thing: avoid playa del carmen. horrible place. any italian there is so fake you will die. see ya!

Room Tip: Go to the beach and try the boat trip. it's free and you will see all the different birds and an...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Enrico S
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Enrico S

On behalf of all the Banyan Tree Mayakoba associates I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience at our hotel.

I am very glad that you feel happy while staying with us and I look forward to welcome you back to the Riviera Maya.

Thank you for bringing your experience to the Trip Advisors’ attention.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

With best wishes,

Area General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We had no idea what to expect since we booked asked on information from their Internet site and Trip Advisor. We spent one week in a spa villa and loved every minute of it. Service was exceptional beginning with our check-in where we were ushered in given a cold cloth and a refreshing green herbal drink. We were then taken by golf cart to our villa. ( golf cart drivers were efficient & friendly- thanks Gilberto!). Our villa was everything seen on the website and more - turn down service each night made our room very peaceful and they always left a small gift about the resort. Do not miss the spa and the rainforest treatment facility - this was an exceptional experience for myself and husband. The Sands restaurant at the beach had great food and the pool bar was unbelievable ( thanks William- best bartender ever). Make sure to try their beach BBQ- the seafood for two was grilled to perfection. The only negative I would have is Saffron restaurant - high priced and the food was not very good. We enjoyed dinner Casa del Lago at Rosewood so much more.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beth C
Dear Beth C

Thank you for providing your kind comments about your vacation in our hotel. I am so glad to read that we have been able to exceed your expectations and that you had a lovely stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

I am sure you suggestions are going to be very well received by other Trip Advisor readers.

We hope we can have the opportunity of being at your service soon again.

Wishing you a lovely day,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Very good service and staffs very polite too. Found some of tiny aunts in the bed room. Beach house and beach are very nice within walking distance or take ride or by boat. Best season to visit between October -March

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Viajero de Banyan Tree Mayakoba

Thank you for sharing us your kind feedback and for you recommendations as well. Your note is posted on our staff notice board as these are the people who made your stay memorable.

Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are ready to come for more pampering

Kindest Regards

Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 13 June 2012

It was a perfect experience since the entrance gate until the check out.

We stayed at a Garden Pool Villa for our honeymoon and everything was outstanding:
the room, the private pool, the amenities, the breakfast, the courtesy of associates, the efficient service...

The Eco Tour on a boat in the mangrove is a must see attraction.

It was definitely the best hotel I ever stayed in my life!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

4 Thank 9979GALO
Dear viajero de BanyanTree.com

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family I want to thank you for sharing your good experiences you had during your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you here during your honeymoon and we are looking forward to welcome you back to our hotel.

With best regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I stayed at the Banyan Tree from April 2nd to 6th. The hotel was very nice, rooms, the property in general. Our problems started before we even got to the hotel... When we made our reservation (directly with the hotel) they offered transportation service from the airport and back. I did not request the service, it was offered by them (this is very important for my argument). We reserved the service at an agreed rate and requested a child seat for the car for a 1 and a half year old baby. I am very paraniod with these issues so I called about 3 times in different moments before we got there to make sure that the transportation company had the seat and it was the correct one. To my surprise, we got to the airport and the car had a seat for a newborn. We had to wait for about half an hour for them to get a seat that was the right size. I thought, OK, honest mistake, and told them to make sure to have the right seat for our trip back to the airport. What was my even greater surprise the day that we checked out and the car arrived again with a newborn car seat. In this case they did not even have a way to get a correct one, so I was stranded with no other alternative that would get me to my flight on time. They even suggested to me that I take my 1 year old daughter on my lap on the highway. One hour later, my wife and daughter sitting in the car in the heat, and I was already sure I was going to miss my flight, the driver found a car seat that worked. We barely made it to the airport on time and before I left I told them I was not going to pay for that service and they agreed. Two months later I had not received my refund so I called the hotel. They said that they were going to refund only 50% and told me that if I wanted a full refund I had to talk directly to the transportation company. This is what I do not understand, my entire business had been done with the hotel, so they should be responsible for the service they offer even if a third party provided the service. The rest of my complaints are probably some that I have read from other participants. The service in the restaurants was pretty bad when they were full. We had ants in our room that got into my daughter's milk jar, and for all the efforts we made to take them out, we never finished with all of them, so she ended up drinking milk with extra protein.
I will probably not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
16 Thank Gerardo C
Dear Gerardo C

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailed report on your experience. I am very sorry about the transportation mishaps you had during your arrival and departure of the hotel and please accept my sincere apologies for it. However the transportation service is outsourced and we only can partially influence their performance.

Following upon the refund with the service provider I was given evidence that the reimbursement was made on the 8th of June in full.

Working with 3rd parties can be a problem, but I also must say that your unfortunate incident was an isolated case and we had in all the years no experience like yours before. Dear Gerardo C I am sorry that you had reason to be upset with the services of our transportation company and I do hope you accept my apologies.

With best regards,