Banyan Tree Mayakoba
US$ 589
US$ 495
US$ 425
BlueBay
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 1,932
US$ 1,781
Hotels.com
US$ 849
US$ 452
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 687
US$ 363
  • Beachfront
US$ 480
Ocean Maya Royale(Playa del Carmen)
US$ 1,096
US$ 1,001
US$ 534
US$ 223
TripAdvisor
2,308 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villabreakfast buffetvilla bbqbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartbeach club
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was the perfect spot for a vacation with my husband and 16-month old son. We had a lovely time. The hotel was SUPER accommodating with our son -- they had his crib waiting in the villa at our arrival (normally we have to call for it at any other hotel we stay at). They had a full package of kid products for his bath, etc. The villas was amazing and just as pictured. What can I say about the service...it was UNBELIEVABLE!!

Most all of the hotel employees knew my son's name within the first few days of us staying there. We did have a small hiccup with my husband's golf plans, but they resolved it and he was able to play for 2 days at a discounted price. For anyone that is traveling with kids...this is a great spot. They have great pools and the beach is also amazing.

If you are going for a long period of time, such as 5+ days, you will run out of dining options - as there are only 3 restaurants on the property -- all of which serve simply amazing food, but you may be a bit bored of it by the 5th or 6th day. However, we did hear that there are some nice restaurants in town...Playa del Carmen which is a few minutes from the property. We would have to compare this property very closely to the hotel we stayed at in the Maldives, in terms of service, food and setting. We couldn't believe we were in Mexico, it almost felt as if we were in Bali or somewhere in the Far East.

The only slight drawback was there are not a ton of kid actives, if you have older children...they may be bored somewhat. We did hear about a few excursions, including swimming with dolphins...which is about a 20 minute ride from the hotel.

Room Tip: Staying in the 400's (we were in 412) -- right across from the main hotel lobby building...which was easy to get to the other pools and to breakfast and all the restaurants. Otherwise, you'd have to wait for a golf cart to pick you up to go anywhere.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Deepali V
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear Deepali

We are deeply pleased that you have come to Banyan Tree Mayakoba for your vacation and that you have encountered our service and installations amazing.

Thank you very much for your nice notes on your stay with us. We do look forward to welcome you and your family soon again.

Wishing you a lovely day,

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed in a spa pool villa in early May 2011 for our honeymoon; perfect spot for that kind of thing.

Pros:

-Privacy (high fence around entire suite, private pool, jacuzzi, outdoor bath with tea candle wall, do-no-disturb switch beside the bed that warns staff outside the front door...). One minor warning--you may be visible from the upstairs outdoor shower during the day--use the downstairs indoor or outdoor showers.
-Suite size: yes, you really do get that entire space to yourself. And it's very nice to have the entirely separate sitting area--one person can nap in the bed while the other relaxes in the pavilion.
-Thai restaurant: Fantastic. I wish I remembered the name of the mini-appetizer the chef sent out the first day. One of the best things I've ever eaten. And we ordered the massaman curry two nights in a row--it was that good.
-Massage services: Had a couple's massage with my wife--her first massage. Both masseuses were excellent, both trained in multiple styles. Our massage room was in a stand-alone building on stilts over the water; much nicer than having someone in the next room. (DIdn't use the spa tables on the 2nd floor of our suite--really too hot in May for that, and I found the massage rooms much more comfortable anyway).
-Room & resort appearance/style: Asian simplicity with hints of Mexican flair. Comfortable beds, choice of pillow types, etc.
-Rain shower/steam shower: nice combo in your room.
-Wifi: worked well in the rooms. Nice when you're taking a break from the sun or looking at excursions. Don't count on Netflix or the like working--those are blocked off in this part of the world by those services.
-Service, cleanliness: both excellent.

Cons (or potential drawbacks depending on your tastes):

-Quiet resort: This isn't the place to party, although the bartenders at the beach/pool bars make great beach drinks. If you don't venture out to the ruins/towns, I'd keep the stay five nights or less. They'll be wonderful, relaxing days and nights...but that's about all the relaxation I can handle. No on-site night life, although you can go to the main complex and have a drink in the open-air bar up top.
-Not on the beach: The beach is nearby--you could walk (long walk), take a bike, take the boat from the lobby, or call a golf cart to take you. Didn't bother us a bit--we took the boat the first day and mostly called a cart for the rest of our stay.
-Limited number of restaurants: we loved the Thai restaurant and the breakfast buffet, thought the poolside restaurant was fine. Room service has a limited menu; tastes fine, but I prefer the restaurants. You can go eat in town or at one of the other resorts in the Mayakoba complex. To me, this is more of a "duration of stay" item.
-Wouldn't take kids: this just isn't the place for them--and by "kids" I mean anything from infants through early teens. I think they might have some kid-related programs during the high season, but given the resort setup and eating choices, I just wouldn't recommend it.
-Cleaning time: ok, this is nitpicking, and some people will love it. The suite is big, and you have your own pool, and they keep both very clean (and put away your shoes, etc.)...which takes a while (even though they send in a couple of people at a time for the room and another for the pool and grounds). And then when they come in for the turndown, I swear they do a quick second clean/straighten. Just be prepared to switch between the pavilion and the bedroom if you happen to be in the suite when they come (i'm sure you could get them to come back, but there's really no need--huge couch/day bed in the pavilion, plus table and chairs. You'll need breaks from the sun).

Final word--we loved the place from the moment we arrived. Really, couldn't pick a better quiet honeymoon spot.

Room Tip: Spa pool villa is excellent choice even if you don't plan to use the upstairs for a massage.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank M2NC

Dear M2NC

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon stay. It was with a great pleasure to read your review and complimentary comments. I am sure that your suggestions and observations are also valuable for other readers.

We look forward to your return to Banyan tree Mayakoba and I wish you all the best.

Wishing you a lovely day,

Remaining at your disposal,

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights At the beginning of our honeymoon and although the place is amazing and I really really want to give this place an excellent review there is something just holding me back.

I'll start with the good.

The room we stayed in was a courtyard room and it was more than ideal. A huge room with everything you can ask for. An amazing comfortable bed, great aircon, peaceful and an great nights sleep. More than enough room for 2 and I can't really see the point of going for a better room ( except for the hot tub).

The resort was clean and perfect but you could have been anywhere really. Although its so nice that you don't really want to leave (well not to go to playa del carmen anyway).

The service was great at all times if a little bit formal and scripted but I suppose that's what is expected at this sort of place.

And the breakfast buffet was amazing. By far the best I have ever had.

But I felt that the overall value was pretty average especially on food and drink. The food options were quite limited and the quality was not as good as expected. Especially the Thai food which, being a Thai brand, I was expecting to be much better. I know that it was never going to be cheap but there is a difference in paying for an amazing room and just being ripped off on little things such as the price of water (up to $10 a bottle).

One other tip is that the private pool was freezing and unusable because of the time of year and it wasn't heated so consider this if you're going in winter.

I would stay here again without a doubt but maybe for a shorter period so the food doesn't get boring.

Oh and there are some mean mosquitoes around the mangroves but no problems in the villa.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank skill123

Dear skill123

Thank you for choosing our resort, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a part of your honeymoon and that you liked your stay so much that you did not want to leave us.

Thank you for writing your valuable impressions on the food and drink prices which have been considered by our Food and Beverage Managers.

Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are planning to come again to this Sanctuary of the Senses.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at Banyan Tree Mayakoba for four nights during a mini-honeymoon after my wedding in June 2011. It is by far the best resort that I have ever visited. The service at Banyan Tree was amazing. From the green juice they serve when you arrive at the resort, the turn-down service every evening, the keepsakes they leave in your room every night, the amazing beach service and the out-of-this world breaskfast buffet, everything about the hotel was amazing. Pure relaxation at its fine. We initially had plans to visit Cozumel and Playa del Carmen town during our stay but we didn't even bother stepping outside the resort after we got there.
I will love to visit Banyan Tree Mayakoba again in the future.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 406. Great room location because of its proximity to the hotel lobby and spa.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tman23
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Tman23

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I would like to thank you for choosing this hotel to celebrate you honeymoon and moreover for taking the time to display your notes about your stay with us.

I was very happy to read that the service provided by the employees has gone beyond your expectations

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our resort and make your stay nothing but a amazing experience again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is my fourth review of hotels on the Mayan Riviera offering breakfast to non-staying guests. See previous submissions on Esencia, Maroma Orient Express and Rosewood Mayakoba.

I am going to repeat information about Mayakoba that I have written about in my review of the Rosewood, but this will save you from going back and forth between the two reviews.

The Mayakoba development is situated about 10 km north of Playa del Carmen. It is a large resort property built among mangroves, forest, luxury golf courses and a beautiful beach that seems to never end. The large Mayakoba entrance is well marked and you will recognize it by the wide white wall structure housing a security booth and a guard screening entries into the property.

Mayakoba is home to two of the most beautiful hotels on the Mayan Riviera: the Rosewood and the Banyan Tree. The Mayakoba beach, stretched in front of a few resorts, is a wonderful long beach with pure white sand and great surf. Beach walking, shell hunting (find them but leave them on the beach) or a swim (if it's calm) are fun to do after breakfast at one of these lovely luxury hotels.

Once through the Mayakoba gate turn right and follow a very long lane winding through the dense but manicured forest ending at the reception. Here, as at the Rosewood, you leave your car with the valet and let them know you have come for breakfast. There is no charge for parking but leave gratuities when they bring back your vehicle upon departure.

Banyan tree Mayakoba

Architecturally stunning, this new hotel is a welcome addition to the line of few true luxury resorts on the Riviera Maya. The Banyan Tree is situated south of the Rosewood (with the Fairmont in between) at the end of a long, winding driveway through the "tamed" and cleared jungle. The hotel lobby rises past a pool of water afloat with water lilies, water fountain and two stone walls that frame the view and lead your gaze through the stunning lobby and beyond. The Asian overtones in the architecture and furnishing is mixed with indigenous stone and landscaping and simply takes your breath away. As in the Rosewood, there is no main structure housing the guests. Rather, villas are dispersed throughout the property, built around the lagoons and mangroves and visible only when driving along the path connecting the various parts of the hotel, yet hidden behind the landscape. To get a sense of the scale of this resort (about 130 rooms), go to the rooftop patio in front of the reception. You will see the tops of the villas around and see the scale of the development.

We are here for breakfast and breakfast is served at Oriente, located in the front main building on the ground floor, beside the pool and lobby canal. It's a fairly large restaurant, offering both indoor and open air dining at beautifully appointed well-spaced tables. The breakfast is served buffet style and is quite special. Eggs can be prepared to you liking or pick the offerings from the hot buffet, from scrambled eggs or poached eggs to various meats, sausages, pancakes and waffles. Freshly made breads and pastries are tempting in the centre section and fruits, cereals, smoked fish and a good selection of cheeses is offered on the left side of he buffet. An interesting item that I haven't seen elsewhere is served on the centre section near the cereals. These are candied vegetables, like sweet potatoes and other roots. They seem to be offered more as a condiment along some jams and stewed fruits. They are sweet and tangy, chewy bits, quite delicious alongside other breakfast items. Another special feature is the Mayan hot chocolate, prepared and served in large hot chocolate pots that line one area. The chocolate is thick, authentic, not too sweet and quite delicious. It's a nice salute to local tradition and cuisine.

After breakfast we catch a ride on the electric boat to the beach (the boat departs every 30 minutes) for our customary walk on the Mayakoba beach. It's an opportunity for beach photography as well as discovering new hotels that are being built along the beach. Back after a few hours to the Sands restaurant by the pool for a lunch experience that may include their fabulous roasted baby vegetables salad and catch of the day, followed by the chilled fruit "soup" for dessert. The Banyan Tree is a feast, for the eyes and the palate.

If you are spa connoisseur you do not want to miss the spa experience at the Banyan Tree. More on that later.

Enjoy your Banyan tree Mayakoba experience.

Dina Honké

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank OliveOilandLemons

Dear Ms. Honké

It is really nice to read the detailed feedback you had placed at this Webpage. We do appreciate the time you had taken to share your valuable impressions to other users.

We are also more than glad to know that you had a pleasurable time at our outlets, and that you found our food we offer wonderful,

Once again I do thank you for sharing with us your kind notes.

Looking forward to host you in the near future,