“A five star resort with two star service”

Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Moscow, Russia
“A five star resort with two star service”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I spent our third wedding anniversary at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba. We were really hyped to stay here because our friends highly recommended this luxury resort. Our friends stayed here when the resort first opened; unfortunately, things seemed to have changed in the past couple of years.

The biggest issue we had with this resort was their customer service (skip to the end of this review for a list of specific examples). A couple of minor service issues occurred our first day. We didn't think too much about it until our second day rolled around. More service issues occurred and then we started to question the quality of the resort. As we met more staff at the resort, we realized that a lot of them were new hires and perhaps that explains some of the service issues we had. There were some employees that went above and beyond. And then there were others who couldn't fix an issue to save their job. It seems that most of them were from a large hotel that closed in Cancun. Some of the service issues we experienced are listed at the end of the review so a reader or Banyan Tree management will understand what I am talking about. A resort like Banyan Tree should ensure that their guests’ needs are always met (or at the least strive to meet them upon first request, as opposed to second, third, or fourth).

Ironically, we did not get to speak to our resort host, Cheri, until breakfast on the third day of our stay. She asked us how our visit was and I responded "we have had issues". She just giggled in response and I looked at my wife in shock. I’m not sure if she just was not accustomed to having a guest express that they had had problems with the resort or what. So we took fifteen minutes to elaborate on the problems we had experienced at the resort up to that point. We later found out that she did not even communicate to her management about the poor service that we received (lack of communication between and amongst employees appears to be a problem).

Later that day we ended up talking to Pedro (food & beverage manager) and spent another thirty minutes repeating the service issues we explained to Cheri. He was very considerate and apologized for the service issues we had. Also, he was the only person to ask us "what do you want? / What can we do?" to make up for the bad service (interestingly Pedro had worked for a number of years at various Ritz properties and I presume he acquired his can-do service attitude there). Our response was we wanted a romantic dinner without any problems. Before our trip my wife had planned a surprise dinner on the beach to celebrate our anniversary. That surprise was out of the bag when we spoke with Pedro. But Pedro immediately called Alejandro (restaurant manager) to make sure no problems occurred with our beach dinner. Five minutes after the call we met Alejandro at the Copa Bar. He introduced himself and guaranteed we would have a perfect dinner. (We did!) Our trip did a 180 after speaking with Pedro. And that was the trip we expected but only a bit too late (we were leaving the next day).

If you remove the service issues, Banyan Tree would be the ideal Honeymoon/ Anniversary/ Get-a-way/ Perfect vacation spot. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The rooms are spread out enough to make you feel like you are the only guest at the resort. It gets better when you enter the room. We stayed in a Garden Pool Villa. The room is spacious with a bathroom to match. The only thing the room is missing is a dining / sitting area. If you order room service, there is no place to sit and eat except on the bed. Also, it would have been good if our private pool was heated (when it rains or is even overcast or cloudy, the private plunge pool is too cold to actually go in!).

I would like to thank the following staff members for doing an outstanding job. Christiano and Carlos did an excellent job at the beach and pool side assisting with towels, chairs, umbrellas and magazines. William provided hours of great conversation at Copa Bar (and made killer drinks). Cecilia also was great help at Copa. Arturo and Fernando made our beach dinner one of the best meals ever.

If the Banyan Tree can provide 5 Star service we will be back for another anniversary. Until then here are some of the issues we experienced:

1) No one employee can make a situation right. For example, if you need something at breakfast you must tell your waiter. Don't ask the runners because they have to go through the waiters to make your request happen. Also, don’t assume if you tell someone you have an issue that it will be reported up-line to a manager or more senior person so that it can be rectified.
2) Staff at reception not helpful and far from service oriented. For example, our Continental/United package included a spa treatment. However our resort reservation did not reflect that. My wife had printed out our reservation and brought it with us. The front desk was to call our agent to confirm the spa treatment and return our copy to our room. By the second day we did not have an answer to whether the spa was included nor did we have our copy back. We had to make 3 separate requests to follow up on the information. We did not have confirmation regarding the spa service until the night before we were set to check out which meant my wife had to cram in the spa service the morning we were leaving. While my wife thoroughly enjoyed the spa, it would have been nice if she could have done the spa service earlier in the trip as opposed to “fitting it in” right before our departure. We had other similar issues that chipped minutes away from our vacation.
3) Little or no communication between employees. We did not see that many visitors at the resort. Why not build a portfolio of each guest and properly address the guest’s issues or needs? For instance, my wife communicated with the hotel concierge for several weeks before our arrival to organize several things during our stay (champagne in our room, romantic beach dinner – all at a fairly significant cost) and noted in the various exchanges that we were celebrating our anniversary. However, when we arrived no one at reception had a clue it was our anniversary. There seemed to be a clear lack of communication between the reception staff and the concierge. This lack of communication is also noted in other places in this review.
4) Long waits for golf carts from the beach to the main resort. It would make sense to have carts waiting at the beach like they do at the lobby. Instead, often times the beach staff have to call the lobby to have to send a golf cart, which is about a 10 minute wait.
5) We had issues at check out. We had over $200 in inaccurate charges. It was a painstaking process to get them corrected and took quite a bit of time to check out. More time chipped away.
6) Food and beverage service issues at both breakfast and the pool. For example, a waiter forgot my order at breakfast. I placed an order of eggs for my wife and myself. My wife got her omelet. I didn't get mine until she was done with her plate, and that was only after asking a runner, another waiter, and then finally the manager to check on my food. Also, the wait for food and drinks was incredibly long at the pool (which was not at capacity). Cocktails took too long to order and receive (you would think they were all-inclusive). One afternoon we waited at least 40 minutes for an order of ceviche, which we finally received but then had to wait another 10 minutes to get chips/crackers to eat with it.
7) Minor but still inconvenient – the power went out at Tamarind restaurant while my wife and I were in the middle of having dinner. Strangely, the rest of the resort had power while we did not. The power was out for at least 20 minutes and no one could explain why the power was out, or why the rest of the resort had power.

All of our concerns above were communicated to one or more Banyan Tree employees. We wanted to give our feedback to make the next vistor's stay better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John V
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear johnv

I wish to thank you very much your feedback in regards to your experience with us. I have taken note of all the comments that of course are discussed with the involved department heads.

I sincerely apologize that you did not have a perfect stay at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and that we felt short of your expectations.

Once again, I really appreciate your constructive comments which highlight specific areas that we need to rectify to improve our standards, and to reach for a perfect service.

In Banyan Tree Mayakoba we all work with that goal in mind and we will not stop until we have achieved it.

Best Regards,

Area General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was the perfect spot for a vacation with my husband and 16-month old son. We had a lovely time. The hotel was SUPER accommodating with our son -- they had his crib waiting in the villa at our arrival (normally we have to call for it at any other hotel we stay at). They had a full package of kid products for his bath, etc. The villas was amazing and just as pictured. What can I say about the service...it was UNBELIEVABLE!!

Most all of the hotel employees knew my son's name within the first few days of us staying there. We did have a small hiccup with my husband's golf plans, but they resolved it and he was able to play for 2 days at a discounted price. For anyone that is traveling with kids...this is a great spot. They have great pools and the beach is also amazing.

If you are going for a long period of time, such as 5+ days, you will run out of dining options - as there are only 3 restaurants on the property -- all of which serve simply amazing food, but you may be a bit bored of it by the 5th or 6th day. However, we did hear that there are some nice restaurants in town...Playa del Carmen which is a few minutes from the property. We would have to compare this property very closely to the hotel we stayed at in the Maldives, in terms of service, food and setting. We couldn't believe we were in Mexico, it almost felt as if we were in Bali or somewhere in the Far East.

The only slight drawback was there are not a ton of kid actives, if you have older children...they may be bored somewhat. We did hear about a few excursions, including swimming with dolphins...which is about a 20 minute ride from the hotel.

Room Tip: Staying in the 400's (we were in 412) -- right across from the main hotel lobby building...which...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Deepali V
Dear Deepali

We are deeply pleased that you have come to Banyan Tree Mayakoba for your vacation and that you have encountered our service and installations amazing.

Thank you very much for your nice notes on your stay with us. We do look forward to welcome you and your family soon again.

Wishing you a lovely day,

North, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed in a spa pool villa in early May 2011 for our honeymoon; perfect spot for that kind of thing.

Pros:

-Privacy (high fence around entire suite, private pool, jacuzzi, outdoor bath with tea candle wall, do-no-disturb switch beside the bed that warns staff outside the front door...). One minor warning--you may be visible from the upstairs outdoor shower during the day--use the downstairs indoor or outdoor showers.
-Suite size: yes, you really do get that entire space to yourself. And it's very nice to have the entirely separate sitting area--one person can nap in the bed while the other relaxes in the pavilion.
-Thai restaurant: Fantastic. I wish I remembered the name of the mini-appetizer the chef sent out the first day. One of the best things I've ever eaten. And we ordered the massaman curry two nights in a row--it was that good.
-Massage services: Had a couple's massage with my wife--her first massage. Both masseuses were excellent, both trained in multiple styles. Our massage room was in a stand-alone building on stilts over the water; much nicer than having someone in the next room. (DIdn't use the spa tables on the 2nd floor of our suite--really too hot in May for that, and I found the massage rooms much more comfortable anyway).
-Room & resort appearance/style: Asian simplicity with hints of Mexican flair. Comfortable beds, choice of pillow types, etc.
-Rain shower/steam shower: nice combo in your room.
-Wifi: worked well in the rooms. Nice when you're taking a break from the sun or looking at excursions. Don't count on Netflix or the like working--those are blocked off in this part of the world by those services.
-Service, cleanliness: both excellent.

Cons (or potential drawbacks depending on your tastes):

-Quiet resort: This isn't the place to party, although the bartenders at the beach/pool bars make great beach drinks. If you don't venture out to the ruins/towns, I'd keep the stay five nights or less. They'll be wonderful, relaxing days and nights...but that's about all the relaxation I can handle. No on-site night life, although you can go to the main complex and have a drink in the open-air bar up top.
-Not on the beach: The beach is nearby--you could walk (long walk), take a bike, take the boat from the lobby, or call a golf cart to take you. Didn't bother us a bit--we took the boat the first day and mostly called a cart for the rest of our stay.
-Limited number of restaurants: we loved the Thai restaurant and the breakfast buffet, thought the poolside restaurant was fine. Room service has a limited menu; tastes fine, but I prefer the restaurants. You can go eat in town or at one of the other resorts in the Mayakoba complex. To me, this is more of a "duration of stay" item.
-Wouldn't take kids: this just isn't the place for them--and by "kids" I mean anything from infants through early teens. I think they might have some kid-related programs during the high season, but given the resort setup and eating choices, I just wouldn't recommend it.
-Cleaning time: ok, this is nitpicking, and some people will love it. The suite is big, and you have your own pool, and they keep both very clean (and put away your shoes, etc.)...which takes a while (even though they send in a couple of people at a time for the room and another for the pool and grounds). And then when they come in for the turndown, I swear they do a quick second clean/straighten. Just be prepared to switch between the pavilion and the bedroom if you happen to be in the suite when they come (i'm sure you could get them to come back, but there's really no need--huge couch/day bed in the pavilion, plus table and chairs. You'll need breaks from the sun).

Final word--we loved the place from the moment we arrived. Really, couldn't pick a better quiet honeymoon spot.

Room Tip: Spa pool villa is excellent choice even if you don't plan to use the upstairs for a massage.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M2NC
Dear M2NC

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your honeymoon stay. It was with a great pleasure to read your review and complimentary comments. I am sure that your suggestions and observations are also valuable for other readers.

We look forward to your return to Banyan tree Mayakoba and I wish you all the best.

Wishing you a lovely day,

Remaining at your disposal,

London
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights At the beginning of our honeymoon and although the place is amazing and I really really want to give this place an excellent review there is something just holding me back.

I'll start with the good.

The room we stayed in was a courtyard room and it was more than ideal. A huge room with everything you can ask for. An amazing comfortable bed, great aircon, peaceful and an great nights sleep. More than enough room for 2 and I can't really see the point of going for a better room ( except for the hot tub).

The resort was clean and perfect but you could have been anywhere really. Although its so nice that you don't really want to leave (well not to go to playa del carmen anyway).

The service was great at all times if a little bit formal and scripted but I suppose that's what is expected at this sort of place.

And the breakfast buffet was amazing. By far the best I have ever had.

But I felt that the overall value was pretty average especially on food and drink. The food options were quite limited and the quality was not as good as expected. Especially the Thai food which, being a Thai brand, I was expecting to be much better. I know that it was never going to be cheap but there is a difference in paying for an amazing room and just being ripped off on little things such as the price of water (up to $10 a bottle).

One other tip is that the private pool was freezing and unusable because of the time of year and it wasn't heated so consider this if you're going in winter.

I would stay here again without a doubt but maybe for a shorter period so the food doesn't get boring.

Oh and there are some mean mosquitoes around the mangroves but no problems in the villa.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank skill123
Dear skill123

Thank you for choosing our resort, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba for a part of your honeymoon and that you liked your stay so much that you did not want to leave us.

Thank you for writing your valuable impressions on the food and drink prices which have been considered by our Food and Beverage Managers.

Do not hesitate in contacting us if you are planning to come again to this Sanctuary of the Senses.

With best wishes,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at Banyan Tree Mayakoba for four nights during a mini-honeymoon after my wedding in June 2011. It is by far the best resort that I have ever visited. The service at Banyan Tree was amazing. From the green juice they serve when you arrive at the resort, the turn-down service every evening, the keepsakes they leave in your room every night, the amazing beach service and the out-of-this world breaskfast buffet, everything about the hotel was amazing. Pure relaxation at its fine. We initially had plans to visit Cozumel and Playa del Carmen town during our stay but we didn't even bother stepping outside the resort after we got there.
I will love to visit Banyan Tree Mayakoba again in the future.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 406. Great room location because of its proximity to the hotel lobby and spa.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tman23
BTMayakoba, Director General at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Tman23

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, I would like to thank you for choosing this hotel to celebrate you honeymoon and moreover for taking the time to display your notes about your stay with us.

I was very happy to read that the service provided by the employees has gone beyond your expectations

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to our resort and make your stay nothing but a amazing experience again.

Best Regards,