“Beyond All Inclusive”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Beyond All Inclusive”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I spent a week in January at Gran Velas as a part of a group. Alot of our activities were co-ordinated by excellent event planners, such as restaurant and tour bookings but i found the staff in the restaurants to be pleasant and professional and friendly. I found the service quite good as I fell ill about 3am on the first night and the matter was handled professionally and quickly which included them getting medication that I needed and making some changes to my room. I loved the variety of restaurants and how every restaurant had its own unique feel and menu. There were some instances were they did drop the ball, for example, one day when I went to lunch alone and I ordered lunch at the beach bar, I left to go to the bathroom and on my way back stopped to chat with a friend, whenI returned the food was sitting on the table uncovered, I had no idea how long it was sitting there and found that to disappointing, please note I was at lunch alone, the food was just on the table alone. There are other instances where some employees seemed to be having a bad day but in my opinion there were enough restaurant and room service to avoid these "spotted areas". All restaurants were open duing our stay but we were a large group and I cannot say whether all restaurants are always open. The food at all restaurants was good.( never ate at the beach bar because of the incident mentioned) I especially enjoyed their green juice at breakfast, it is quite delicious and my friends and I missed it greatly after our vacation was over.The fitness instructor in the gym, Franklyn was abosolutely fantastic. The gym is well equipped with plenty machines, balance balls & mats. All machines appeared to be working. There was also a kids club which looked very pretty and was seemingly well staffed. We did not use it so we cannot speak of how good it is. The beach is quite large and is well managed by the hotel who rakes the beach daily. The pools are quite large and plentiful. Overall it was a great stay and we hope to be back again next year.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annari_10
GVRM, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Grand Velas Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear guest,

Allow me to thank you for your wonderful comments about the prompt service of our team, facilities and the enjoyable experience you had at our Gourmet Restaurants. Rest assured that we will share your review with our team and also with Franklin. Regarding the incident you encountered at the snack bar, we are very sorry know about it since it is not the type of service that we offered, it must have been an unusual situation that we will inform about to the right people for its consideration. We truly hope that this situation has not spoiled your overall experience with us. We hope to have the pleasure to serve you in a future convention trip.
Warn regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Dallas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I would consider myself to have traveled to a fair share of destinations, and in my opinion, the service of the Grand Velas hotel was unequaled by any other I have been to. The attentiveness of the staff extended to assisting you carry your plate of food down two steps from the buffet area to a table (an act I would not have even considered worthy of needing help with). The food was excellent at each restaurant I visited. Fortunately, this trip was paid for by my father's company, otherwise, I would not have wanted to spend the money that it would have cost.

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms have sliding doors that allow immediate access to the pool and, close by, the...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Aceeker
Dear guest,

We are delighted to know that you have such an amazing experience on your most recent stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share the details that created in you a memory in your life , we will be happy to forward your review with the Grand Velas Riviera Maya Family.
Best regards,

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My sister and I traveled to Playa del Carmen for a five night vacation. We were looking for a luxury all- inclusive that didn't have that typical cookie cutter buffet/ cheap liquor feel... oh man did we find it. The hotel and grounds are breathtaking, as is the beach. The service is imppecable-polite, friendly, and the staff is omnipresent. The hotel itself is immaculate- we stayed in a top-floor suite in the adult-only (!!!) section of the resort and the room was beautiful; well appropriated, modern, stylish and clean. We were there in the off-season (June) so we didn't have to contend with any crowd whatsoever; in fact, it felt like we had the place to ourselves for the most part. The food is great, the resort offers five or six high-end resturaunts from which to choose-(reservations are required)- but stay away from Azule if you can help it- it was the only culinary experience we had that was less than satisfactory. Also, although the liquor selection is top notch, the wine included in the all-inclusive package is, in a word, terrible. So, if you're a wine connessieur, plan either to pay out the nose for the good stuff, or forego your habit for the duration of your stay. Other than that I have nothing negative to say about this resort. If you're looking for a vacation were you can do nothing in particular in luxurious, jaw-dropping tropical surroundings, look no further. We were told by our cab driver that Grand Velas was the nicest resort in the area- I have no reason to believe otherwise.
There is a spa at the resort, but I cannot speak directly to the experience. It has been lauded by critics, and I would have loved to give it a whirl but the prices (to my inexperienced eye) were staggering. Facials started at $300 and went up from there. From what I understand the spa is beautiful and has won awards for service and excellence, but it was, as they say, too rich for my blood.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room, if possible- the views are amazing. Be aware that the jungle rooms, although l...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank srfrgrl
Dear guest,

We are glad to know throughout your comments that you’re most recent vacation at Grand Velas Riviera Maya was full with satisfactory experiences of the attentiveness of our staff service, the beauty of our facilities, and the quality of food and liqueurs. We are also very grateful for taking the time to send your recommendations to our future travelers and providing your personal perspective regarding our all-included wine, this represents an opportunity to innovate the services we offer to our guests in every visit, we truly appreciate it. Best regards.

Guest Relation Manager
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am vehemently ANTI all inclusive....with the exception of the Grand Velas. Very 1st Class all the way around, especially the Asian restaurant and the French restaurant. Thankfully, none of the Spring Break crowd comes here, so you can relax and feel like you have access to anything and everything, or nothing if you want to hide away. Great vacation and if you have a whole bunch of kids of various ages and if you like to eat and drink!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Connecticut04
Dear guest,

We feel very honored to that you have a wonderful time with us and that your culinary experience at Sen Lin (Asian) and Piaf (French) restaurants was unforgettable! Thank you very much for your preference on this most recent visit and we hope to host you in the future. Best regards,

Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. The pools are so plentiful that even when the hotel was full it did not seem crowded. Even the restrooms were gorgeous. The room in the Grand Class was amazing. It was large, comfortable, clean and the snacks and fridge were always stocked. The bathroom had a large jaccuzi tub and rain shower. We had a beautiful balcony with a private pool and lounge over-looking the ocean. The best part about the Grand Class was the quiet. Since it was separated from the family friendly section, when we wanted to rest, it was possible.
The staff is kind and helpful but sometimes seemed unable to answer basic questions...one example was when we were booked for dinner reservations on a night when that particular restaurant wasn't open. The poolside staff was very accomodating most days. One day when we felt that we were waiting too long for service, the manager got right to straightening things out.
The food is unbelievable. There are so many choices that it is difficult to make selections. The best restaurant for food and service is the french, Piaf. The Italian restaurant would be a close second but had the slowest service. The molecular restaurant is only for the most adventurous diners.
The only drawbacks to this vacation was the lack of things to do in the evenings. The only entertainment or activity after dinner was the karaoke bar. There was a large company using the facility while we were there and we were jealous of the dance party that they had at the beach. Even if once a week, they had a dance party or theme night of some sort, it would be nice. When choosing an all inclusive resort, I didn't want to venture out into town every evening to seek out and pay for entertainment. Maybe even having some music piped into the area outside the piano bar for some dancing....something.
So, it was ALMOST paradise.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank aamirabella
Dear guest,

We are grateful for having opportunity to serve you on your recent stay with us and to know that you got the relaxation and pleasant time you were expecting on this vacation. We always strive to do our best in every detail of our service. Your comments about the experience you had with our staff at the pool motivate us to keep up with it.
It is satisfactory to know that your culinary experience at Piaf, Lucca and Cocina de Autor restaurants fulfilled your expectations and created a memory in your life.
As per the situation you encountered with the misinformation from our staff we find it very unusual since that is a very basic information that all of our staff should know, we are very sorry if this represented an inconvenience to you and rest assured that your report will be forwarded to the right people for its consideration.
We also appreciate your kind suggestions regarding evening entertainment; they will be taken into consideration since this encourages us to improve the variety of services we offer in order to provide a different experience in our guest’s stay.
We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you in a future Grand Velas Vacation.
Warm regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
11.1 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.4 km away
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus by Melia Playa Del Car...
#31 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 km away
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
21.8 km away
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
Now Jade Riviera Cancun
#8 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Grand Velas Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK