“What an incredible, unspoiled, natural phenomenon” 5 of 5 bubbles

US$ 78.98*
and up
Rio Secreto Underground River Tour with Crystal Caves
More attraction details
Owner description: Mexico reveals its newly-discovered underground river: Very few places in the world boast conditions that make it possible to witness the extraordinary beauty of an underground river. Rio Secreto is a fantastic journey into a unique system of underground rivers and ancient caverns that reveals both the astonishing interaction of time within the interior of our planet and the miraculous existence of our lives. Come and experience this magical journey with us on your next vacations in Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Raleigh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What an incredible, unspoiled, natural phenomenon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This portion of one of the underground rivers in the Yucatan was only opened to the public in 2006. I can't begin to describe how beautiful it is. What's really special about it though, is the effort the staff puts forth to make sure it stays unspoiled.

And I thought the lunch was delicious, especially the lime chicken soup. And the Xtabentun liquor is DEFINITELY worth buying, it is fantastic!

1 Thank Erik D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

My mom, brother, sister-in-law, and I had a great time at Rio Secreto. We booked the last tour of the day. The staff was very hospitable and knowledgeable. Many of them spoke excellent English. The 15-minute van ride to the cavern entrance was bumpy, but that's what it feels like on an unpaved jungle road. The wetsuits and helmets do smell faintly of mildew, but through similar water-sport excursions I've experienced, I think that's just what rentals smell like.

Our tour guide, Alfredo, did a bilingual tour, and his translation was impressively precise. He's also just a really personable guy. The tour wasn't too strenuous. If the idea of hiking and swimming (life jackets keep you afloat) your way along a guided tour of some incredibly beautiful caverns appeals to you, I recommend Rio Secreto.

I'm not sure why previous reviews complained about the lunch. I thought it was delicious. I can understand why people complained about the photos. I do agree with the no-photo policy. It would be irresponsible to allow tourists to bring their own cameras into the cavern, not only in terms of conservation, but also safety. But the pricing of the professional photos ($25 for one, $69 for all, $100 for all + 3 souvenirs) so encourages you to purchase the whole package, that it you do feel manipulated. Still, the pricing is on par with similar excursions, and it does benefit the conservation of the cavern, so I can't complain.

Cancun
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not crazy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I would much rather go to the other one (not going to give name) but last year I went to other similar big excursion in riviera and it was much better than this one.

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Excursion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

This is a great opportunity to swim in an underground cave. My wife and I went and had a great time!

Bogota, Colombia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cool experience but too long and terrible lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The underground river tour is cool, but gets old fast and they try to sell you overpriced photos around every turn. However, the formations are beautiful and unique. The lunch was a sorry excuse for lunch with a meek lime chicken tortilla soup. warm salad, fruit and some sort of cream cheese filled tamales. We paid for the tour with transportation and definitely overpaid- $109 each which meant we spent $40 each on transportation- $80 for a crappy ride in a van with 10 other people on the way back which ended up taking an hour and a half!