“Amazing and breathtaking”

and up
Rio Secreto Underground River Tour with Crystal Caves
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mexico reveals its newly-discovered underground river: Very few places in the world boast conditions that make it possible to witness the extraordinary beauty of an underground river. Rio Secreto is a fantastic journey into a unique system of underground rivers and ancient caverns that reveals both the astonishing interaction of time within the interior of our planet and the miraculous existence of our lives. Come and experience this magical journey with us on your next vacations in Mexico.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Montreal, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Amazing and breathtaking”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is another must do in Playa Del Carmen.
Walk and swim in a cave that was discovered only 5 years ago. This is an experience you will never forget. If you go, do it because I'm pretty sure that this will will not remain open to the public for very long. It's a natural treasure

1 Thank Binou1979
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Amazing tour”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Signed up for this tour on one of our cruise stops and didn't know what to expect. When we saw a large number of people at the main office we worried that it would be just another "cattle call". However, they limit groups to 10 and everyone is in different parts of the cave. We never saw anyone else while on the tour. The cave is amazing and like nothing else we have ever seen. Bobbing along through the crystal clear water our friendly and helpful guide showed us everything about this cave. A photographer took pictures along the way and at the end we were able to purchase a CD at a reasonable price. The company was very professional and safety conscious. Everyone we came in contact with tried to ensure our experience was a good one.

1 Thank petfoodguy
New York, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience, Off the Beaten Path! Fantastic One in a Lifetime Opportunity!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I was recently on a cruise with my family making one stop in Cozumel. I have been to Cozumel numerous times and was looking for something a bit different to do.

I had done Tulum, snorkeling, beach parties and so on. I was originally thinking about doing to the sweat lodge (#1 tour on trip advisor) but though the price was a bit too high ($80USD pp).

Ultimately, due to laziness I was stuck on a cruise ship with no excursion. Typically, I would never pick an excursion off the cruise line menu but I was stuck with no other choice. I decided to go with the most adventurous activity in hopes that I would be shuffled around like cattle on some slow moving tour. I can tell you know I made the right decision as there were only 6 people on the tour with us.

Rio Secreto offered one of the most unique experiences I have had. With a short ferry ride over the main land we were picked up by a van and driven through the city to the jungle. Beware this is a very, very bumpy ride. After 45 minutes or so you end up in a park-like setting where you will change into wetsuits, be fitting with a head lamp and meet your guide. This is when the adventure begins!

I learned that this cave system was just discovered in 2007 when the land owner was hunting iguana and when the iguana went into a hole he heard something hit water. Now, I have been in caves in the US and Belize and I have never seen anything like this!

At the beginning of the tour we were greeted by a Mayan shaman who smudged us since we were headed into, what the Mayan's believe is the underworld. After this ceremony we are lead down some steps and into the cave system. Please keep in mind you should be in decent physical shape as you have to crawl, step over rocks and swim in this system.

I decided to be in the back of the line since I knew I wanted to take my time. Again, it was quite slippery and I fall a few times, no harm done. There is also a professional photographer in the caves to take pictures...but, they are on the pricier side 70$ for the CD of all photos or $25 each.

Bottom line, if you see something on your cruise excursions called Amazing Secret River BOOK IT! It is completely worth it. Check out my photos and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Fee for the excursion (through the cruise line) $99 pp
Feel for all photos $70
Amazing lunch buffet INCLUDED
Transportation INCLUDED

Kelowna, BC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A must do!”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

With so many attractions to choose from in the Playa del Carmen area, I've picked this one as it sounded less commercial then many others. I was not disappointed! This excursion into the underworld of the Yucatan peninsula was absolutely breathtaking. To experience this spectacle of nature was the highlight of this vacation and any other before. The small group of likeminded travelers and our very knowledgeable guide made this adventure an absolute pleasure. I highly recommend this "venue" as I am not certain that there are any other places like this in the world that the public can visit. I would not advise this for young children nor people with walking impairment.

Winnipeg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Yucatan cenotes - amazing!”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We had read about the cenotes in the Yucatan and knew a little about the vast network of underground caves. We decided to take this tour upon the recommendation of a couple from Vancouver. It was amazing. We were picked up at our hotel by a van and driven to Rio Secreto. We were met there by the wonderful staff. We were given a brief introduction and then fitted with wetsuits, life jacket and water shoes. Our guide was Mauricio and he was wonderful - very knowledgeable and friendly. The entire tour lasted about 5 hours. It was definitely one of the many highlights of our trip!