“Wow - I am so glad I gave them a second chance!”
Review of Carboncitos

Carboncitos
Ranked #37 of 1,367 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: ****** We Do Not Accept Credit Cards ******Carboncitos serves authentic Mexican, Mayan, Charcoal Grilled Steaks & Seafood at an attractive price. Be it breakfast, lunch, happy hour, or dinner; it's the consistently delicious meals served that keeps guests returning again and again.
Reviewed 7 September 2017

My wife and I went here for my birthday last year. Although it wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. Fast forward to this year. I had spoken with Steven (the owner) about our previous experience and although he was understandably disappointed, he was appreciative of our honesty and wanted to make sure the issues we had were addressed. Not only that, but he asked that we would come back to try them again. We waited until my birthday (yesterday) to come back and WOW - we were so glad we did!

First of all, it is a very nice and classy atmosphere. The service and wait staff are spectacular. I have been coming to the PDC area for 20 years and actually live here now, and I would say that Carboncitos might very well provide the best service of ANY restaurant we have ever visited. Friendly, attentive without being overbearing, and just fantastic servers in every way.

The food and drinks were also excellent! Everything was prepared perfectly and the presentation was very nice. It was a real pleasure to see that they genuinely care about the customer experience and not about getting people in and out so they can make more money. You might pay a little extra, but it is worth it for the extra attention to detail you receive.

The menu is diverse and has something for everyone. I can't imagine anyone not being able to find something they like from this menu - from Seafood, to Steaks - Tacos & Fajitas - to BBQ - even Angus burgers...there is almost nothing they can't prepare for you.

Too Steve and the staff - I just want to say Thank you for reaching out to us and inviting us back. It was a true pleasure!

2  Thank Ed S
HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Thank you for this awesome review. Every day and every meal cannot be a perfect one. We appreciate that you came back for the very important meal for your birthday. We strive every day to make the service and the food better. This is one of our best reviews and we are so glad you came back. Thank you for the time in writing this and we are glad you had a hppy birthday with us!

We invite you to stay with us in our Hotel Cielo on your next visit to Playa del Carmen. Please remember to book directly with us to enjoy our extra incentives!

Reviewed 6 September 2017

I've been to Carboncitos several times going back years, long before it had become as popular as it is today. Its no longer the quaint restaurant it used to be. Now it is often very busy and it has become much more expensive while the food has become more and more average. One thing that has been maintained is their policy of only accepting cash, so make sure if you venture here that you've visited the ATM.

Overall, hard for me to justify increasing menu prices while the quality goes the opposite direction. There are much better options in Playa and unfortunately, I don't think I will be returning to Carboncitos.

7  Thank Paul S

Hi Paul my name is Steven, I am one of the owners here at Carboncitos and I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Although this is not the kind of review we would like to get we do try to learn from it and see where we can improve.

Before we address your comments I just wanted to clear the air on a few things you had mentioned.

Yes we are busier, and for only the following reasons, we are a very good restaurant with great service, quality product at a very fair price.

You mentioned before we were popular, Carboncitos has been quite popular amongst tourists and locals for approx.. 12 years, and opened for 14 years this Jan. You do not stay in business by being bad.

Please do not mistak the above to be sarcastic or arrogant, I know a lot gets lost through translation while writing text, the point is its that we are a very good restaurant and we work very hard at it and we truly care.

With that being said, We will address your comments .

Of course prices have gone up and you may not be aware of some reasons why so we will provide a few, rents have skyrocketed, the average corner on 5th ave with a new spot, 25 – 28 K a month, this is US$ not pesos.

Our water bill alone had doubled for a private co. purchased the government water service, old bill 1,000 a month, new bill 1,900 a month, again US$.

The government a while back raised the sales tax from 11% to 16%, quite a hefty increase.

These are just a few examples, the cost of doing business has dramatically increased in the last 5 years making it very difficult for a business to survive here.

So of course we can not absorb all these increases and they will have to be passed along to the customers especially when you have a note to pay.

We do our very best to keep competitive, and we are .... I do price comparisons monthly, not that anyone cares but not single increase we have made in the last several years went or goes to our pocket.

We are sorry you felt we were expensive, but a Filet mignon and lobster tail for 710 Pesos,with 16% tax included is still a pretty good deal. So a really good suf & Turf for 33.47 US (with out tax)

Where we are really concerned is your comment about our quality, I was hoping you could provide us with some additional feed back , some times we do experience inconsistencies, we do try to stay on top of this but things do happen and we always enforce is a satisfaction guarantee policy, we will always replace a sub par meal...... so here is where I would like to ask a few questions to make sure we are doing our job.

Had you mentioned that your meal was unsatisfactory to your waiter or manager, if so what was their response

What plate had you ordered, this will help us to see if there is or was a problem.

Why or what was it that you felt there was a quality issue

It is not un common to send a meal back or ask for a new dish, we are here for only one reason, to have all our guests leave full and Happy.

Anyway, if you are still in town we would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you, we really are a great restaurant, and we just want you to have a great experience as so many others have.

I understand Playa is Changing, and I myself miss the old Playa but we are holding true to when we opened, great food, great service for a fair price.

My apologize for the lenghty response but we do hope you feel a little different after reading this, the only thing we really can be guilty of is actually caring too much.

I am always open for dialogue, and look forward to hearing from you, your feedback is important.

Sincerely, Steven Krisztin

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

My favorite breakfast in Playa......
We stay couple days in playa and this place offer the Best Motuleños Eggs.... fresh juice and excellent quality coffee

3  Thank Javier S

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Thank you for trusting us with it! We very much appreciate the time you took to write this review for us. Each review is important to let others know about us and our breakfasts! We hope to see you again soon!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

Found Carboncitos on yelp/tripadvisor. BEST DECISION EVER! Marco LoCo!! Thanks for an Amazing evening!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
HotelCielo, Owner at Carboncitos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Thank you for the time in writing this review. We are so pleased you had such a great experience with us. Every review we can learn from since there are so many options for you to choose from in Playa del Carmen. We thank you for choosing us and for writing this for your fellow TripAdvisor members to see.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

My partner and I have been to Mexico 3 times and we have never found such amazing food! Wow. The waiter Marco was very friendly and served us margaritas on his head haha! The best starter pointed out by Marco was the sizzling jumbo shrimp!! Yum. Amazing experience, will definitely be back

1  Thank sarahmholden

Thank you, Sarah! This review means so much to us. We thank you for the time in writing this. Since you come often this review packs more punch. We hope we will be one of the reasons for you to come to MExico more often!