We just got back from a week in Playa del Carmen and we stayed here based on the TripAdvisor reviews. The good reviews area effect our experience. Here are some reasons to stay here:
1) Location! It's on 5ta Avenida, which is the main tourist drag in l,aya del Carmen, but it's at the quieter, less obnoxious end of the street. Bring comfy flip flops or shoes and the walk to the busy end isn't terrible--we did it several times. There's good food nearby, including some tasty restaurants (Pachamama, ComoComo, Luna Maya, Kool Fish, Drupas38, etc.), a cool little craft beer place (The Beer Club), and beach clubs.
2) Breakfast! Many reviews rave about breakfast, and they're right. Three wonderfully friendly women run the rooftop breakfast service. There is fresh squeezed juice, breads, fresh fruit, yogurt, and a good selection of breakfast main courses (omelette, pancakes, quesadillas, and a daily special that changes). Don't forget to tip them a little something each time or give them a big tip at the beginning. They deserve it.
3) Helpful concierge/registration staff! The women who rotate at te front desk were helpful. They had good recommendations, helped us rent a car to go to Coba, and always asked us about our day.
4) Free beach club access! We only went to two of the three options. We really liked Las Palapas. They provide towels and there's no drink/food consumption minimum. We got there early and got a good spot and our service was great. We also went to Mamitas, which we didn't like. They don't give you towels here, so you have to vring them from te hotel. Awful service, crowded, loud music... it wasn't at all comfortable or relaxing. Canibal Royale is the third option which we didn't try. It's a good place to go if you want old since they have a minimum food/drink consumption limit.
5) Housekeeping staff! Every day we had a new work of towel art on our bed. It made coming back to the room fun (and funny).
6) Purified water! They have purified water cookers on each floor. You can fill up bottles or your glasses, which saves you money on buying bottled water. Of course, if you want bottled water there's a little store at the end of the block--very close.
7) The door guy! He's always smiling and so polite.
My only complaints are the plumbing and complimentary toiletries.
1) The plumbing. If you try to take a shower when other people on lower floors are also showering, expect no water. The shower went dry when I was trying to shower at 8 one morning.
2) the complimentary shampoo and conditioner aren't great. Bring your own or buy it there. It made my hair feel icky.
Overall this place is great. It's a good home base for exploring this area--close to Tulum, Cozumel, Coba, etc. The rates make it especially great. Casa Ticul was great.
(PS - I have a horrible bed bug phobia and search every room I stay in. I searched our room pretty thoroughly. Our room was bed bug free--found absolutely no physical evidence of them and received no bites over 6 nights in our room--Room #8.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sophisticated style with Mexican tradition - for adults only, this is a restful and exclusive hideaway in Playa del Carmen where tradition and modernity merge - making the ideal escape for couples looking for a romantic get-away. Casa Ticul is much more than just a hotel; it is a home away from home where our personalized service and warm atmosphere ensure a peaceful vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Prestigia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Casa Ticul reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Ticul Hotel
- Hotel Casa Ticul Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen