“Great option off the main drag”
Review of Mar de Olivos

Mar de Olivos
Ranked #35 of 1,489 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 30
Reviewed 1 November 2017

Sorry, this review is really late, so I'll be a little light on the details. My wife and I were just discussing how much we enjoyed this place when we were here last October, and I realized I never wrote a review.

The owner stopped by our table and offered us appetizers - very friendly and extremely passionate about his restaurant. We loved it. I can't remember exactly what I had (it was really good), but my wife ordered the paella and it was amazing (apparently why I forgot what I had).

We sat outside the restaurant and it was very pleasant. We were far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the main street that it was fairly quiet. If we were ever in the area again, we would not hesitate to stop in for another meal (rather than try someplace new).

We thought it was a very good value. I can't really compare the value to other restaurants in the area, but if I were to compare it to similar experiences in Milwaukee, it was a great deal. Hope this helps.

ManagerMardeOlivos, Gerente at Mar de Olivos, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you for your review and for remembering our restaurant such a long time later!

We want our customers to enjoy their time with us and reading a comment like yours is a real reward for all the team.

We definitely hope to see you soon with us again!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

Mare translates to sea in Italian, but the owner/founder's name is Mar. However, with a concentration in the menu on seafood, you can understand why I think it should be mare. With that said, the restaurant is very good and our seafood catch of the day, red snapper was delicious in both preparations. The service by Juan, our waiter, was spot on and a visit from Mar was very enjoyable as well. We will be returning for another well-prepared seafood dinner as soon as we can.

ManagerMardeOlivos, Gerente at Mar de Olivos, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Thank you for your kind comment!

We definitely hope to see you again soon among us!

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Make the turn off 5th Avenue and visit this excellent restaurant. Tuesday is 2 for 1 pasta night and the squid ink seafood pasta was well prepared. The complimentary avocado appetizer shot and sausage appetizer are very good. Wine prices are reasonable also. The chocolate fondant is the best dessert my wife and I have tasted in years. We will definitely visit in the future.

ManagerMardeOlivos, Gerente at Mar de Olivos, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment!

We are always happy to read that our customers enjoy our food and our home-made desserts.

We hope to see you again soon in Mar de Olivos!

Reviewed 8 October 2017

My husband and I agreed that this was the best meal we have had in PDC! We are part time residence and love the location just off busy 5th Avenida. The service was exceptional and the owner from Torino, Spain was infectious in his love for the food and his country. The prawns were simply prepared and wonderful. Tapas were spot on and oh my the desserts! We are returning for the 2x1 paella on Thursday. Can’t wait for some more!

ManagerMardeOlivos, Gerente at Mar de Olivos, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind comment.

We definitely hope to see you again soon in Mar de Olivos!!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

We really enjoy Mar de Olivos, the service there is great, really want to make you happy, and the food is in really high level.

ManagerMardeOlivos, Gerente at Mar de Olivos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Thank you for your kind comment.

We definitely hope to see you soon again in Mar de Olivos!