“A Lush Oasis”

Ranked #3 of 103 Hotels in Merida
London, United Kingdom
“A Lush Oasis”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This little oasis turned our two nights in Merida from good to unforgettable. We were warmly welcomed out of the blistering afternoon heat into a beautiful double room which opened onto a lush poolside patio. The whole premises are very tastefully decorated with colonial style artworks and furniture; the pool area with beautiful tropical plants being the perfect place to cool off.

Our large room had everything you could want, including all the little touches you hope for - luxury bathroom with a powerful shower, comfortable bed, fridge with two free welcome beers, water filter, filter coffee machine, TV, hammock, fan, AC. It was peaceful and private.

The hotel is very well located. It was a five minute taxi ride from the bus station we arrived at from Cancun. A five to ten minute walk into the main square and park in Merida. And with a great cheap place for breakfast right across the road (tasty omelettes if you're a fan) which we ate at both days.

On our leaving day, unprompted the staff called to confirm bus times for onward travel to Tulum, booked us two bus tickets, had the tickets delivered to the hotel and called a taxi to collect us. All we had to do was spend a few extra hours relaxing by the pool. Perfect.

In my opinion, most hotels have at least one or two negatives or things I wished I had known about/considered before booking as I like to know what to expect. Luz en Yucatan had all the hidden surprises that you welcome in a hotel and exceeded all expectations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahLondon15
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel, I foolishly made a reservation for the wrong dates but when we turned up they went out of their way to accomodate us. It is a real oasis in the city, beautifully decorated with welcoming touches such as welcome beers. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff give out a welcome sheet with useful information which advises you on restaurants bars and other things, which leave you more time to enjoy Merida. Stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Pool room is fabulous and has it's own patio area but the standard room was lovely too.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helen W
Reviewed 26 March 2012

! I loved the Luz but if you want to stay there make sure you book ahead. I was lucky to get a room and I was in Merida for two months… trying! I finally got in at the very end of my trip and enjoyed every minute of this “Urban Retreat.” The owner and staff are wonderful, personable and professional. The rooms are equipped with everything you need to make yourself at home. The Luz provides you with ample drinking water, coffee, fridge, facecloths and pool towels (I mention these things because they were absent in 95% of the other hotels I stayed at in Merida). Besides these basics, the Luz provides you with an information sheet about Merida, where to find things like bank machines, breakfast, the post office etc. There’s a communal kitchen you can use and to top it all off there’s complementary beer upon arrival and free liquor if you’re so inclined.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Anasaskia
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My wife and I live in Mexico City, and stayed at this lovely hotel over a busy holiday weekend. Everything was delightful – our room was clean and comfortable; we had a small terrace that was just a few steps away from the hotel pool; the staff was knowledgeable and accommodating; parking was safe and accessible; they even offered a welcoming beverage! A welcome oasis from the bustle of Merida.

But the biggest surprise had nothing to do with the hotel. When we returned to DF, I discovered that I had left my iPod and charger back in the room. After a few emails, the hotel staff promptly returned the iPod to me by courier delivery (MultiPack-Mexico), and REFUSED to accept payment for what was my mistake. Service far above and beyond the call of duty.

So, with the lovely hotel, the perfect location and very helpful staff, I cannot recommend Luz en Yucatan enough for your stay in Merida.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ken B
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Even the website is cool at this hotel! We had a poolside room with a patio...for only $69. The pool was perfect in hot Merida. Our room had both a/c and a fan. Bathroom was good, with a nice shower. Bed very comfortable. Wifi, TV. In the room is a huge container of water....free. 2 beers in the fridge...free. Assortment of liquers in the hallway...free. Parking safe, cheap and convenient. You can walk to anywhere from this place. Decorations are great, too! Loved this spot!!

Room Tip: ask for a room that opens to the pool
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends