“Good value”

Hotel Casa Continental
Ranked #52 of 106 Hotels in Merida
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel - The rooms were comfortable. As noted by other reviewers, front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby and breakfast area could use some warmer touches - maybe more plants and flowers and some art - We liked the overall modern design but wished it had a bit more traditional Mexican charm.

Room Tip: Our room had a window on the interior courtyard - would have preferred a window onto the street but...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

I was here few days ago with my wife for 4 noghts. we stayed in room 9 and I can say it was really clean with a modern design.
The guy at the reception was very helpful and friendly.
Only one small drawback. It's not too close to the centre, 15 minutes walking in a tiny sidewalk.
Breakfast was great and massive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This is a very clean and new hotel, although it is not luxurious by any means. The two greatest points of the hotel are the staff and the location. The man who was working the front desk every morning was the most helpful front desk person I have ever encountered. I got him to book three different tours for me because the prices were better than the prices I had found online before coming.

The location is great because it is at one end of the Paseo de Monejo, the end that is closer to the historic center of the city. Thus, it is convenient for walking the Paseo, and convenient for walking into the historic center. I spent a lot of time in the historic center and it was easy to see that staying in that area would be a nightmare. The traffic is intense. I don't see how anyone would be able to sleep or relax in that part of town.

The rooms in the hotel may vary, but as for the room I had, the size of the room was fine, the internet signal in the room was powerful, and the room was quiet enough, as it had no windows facing the street. You could here the muffled sound of a loud truck or motorbike sometimes, but it was not a problem. The air-conditioner worked fine too.

The negatives of the room were that the bathroom was really cramped (aside from the large shower stall), I could not sleep well on the bed for some reason, the safe is too small for a laptop, and the maid did not bring/replace facecloths or the water every day. I think she replaced these two things only one day out of the 5 that I stayed there.

Finally, the continental breakfast was unpalatable for me. I eventually quit eating it period, as I could no longer force myself to do so. However, I should add that I am not a fan of continental breakfast ever. Mediocre brewed coffee, orange juice, lame white bread, dry and tasteless pastries, and modern fruit "yogurt" are not things that I ever eat or ever desire to eat. However, some people may indeed enjoy all these items, which I personally do not even consider to be food. Also, I would suspect that many of the hotels have a similar caliber of breakfast, so one might not want to choose a hotel based on its breakfast.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel, especially if one is sightseeing most of the day, and if one wants a decently quiet location.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank mari99
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Lodged at this property in June of 2011 for 3 nights. Recently renovated is in good shape, clean and well maintained. Location is close to one of the important areas of Merida, Paseo de Montejo. The staff was very helpful in currency exchange and information. Unfortunately I had to move twice, once due to a moldy smell in the room and the second time because the room faced the very busy and noisy street. The hotel offers complimentary breakfast of danish, fresh fruit and coffee which was adequate but the food from the room service menu was not very good at all. Last but not least, the beds are so hard they are a punishment to your bones!

Room Tip: If you must lodge at this property ask for a room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2011

This hotel is brand new. And super super clean. My Spanish is not good, but the reception helped me with everything. Even ordering my pizza. My daughter was sick and within no time they arrange a very good doctor. It is a bit of a walk to town, but it is better then to stay in downtown. There is nothing really happening in the streets. But that can also be a good thing. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family