All reviews curtis and ashley honeymoon suite curtis makes palapa suites swinging bed poolside bungalow curtis' breakfasts teeth hurt margaritas and pina coladas swing bar golf cart perfect hosts conch shells no kids allowed made from scratch every morning bed and breakfast
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This couple have their business operation down to a tee. A well run ,clean and friendly B&B ,VLB offers a welcome change to hotel stays and is ideally situated on the quieter side of Isla Mujeres.

Our stay there was probably the best part of our Cancun holiday and I will certainly recommend it to others. You are made to feel very welcome by the owners who run a well oiled machine.

A couple of small points that perhaps warrant some consideration from the owners. It is understandable that you set out your terms and conditions very thoroughly prior to booking and arrival and just because you say it doesn't always make it well accepted - and yes guests can choose whether or not to proceed - Firstly why charge a PayPal transaction fee separately- why not view it as a legitimate business expense or incorporate into the rack rate. Secondly train your staff to offer the same breakfast on Monday mornings as guests enjoy the rest of the week or reflect a financial difference in the Sunday night room rate.

Just small points but very minor in the overall scheme of things - well done to all at VLB.

Room Tip: Palapa suite number 2 offer views on 3 sides
1  Thank BarabusBangor
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Villa La Bella set the tone for the our holiday. Curtis, Ashley and their supportive team welcomed us and made us feel so comfortable. The beautifully decorated grounds, swing bar, refreshing pool, delicious homemade breakfasts, and outstanding view from our swing bed in Palapa 1 will forever be imprinted on my mind. Its location on the island is perfect because its in a quiet neighborhood with great local restaurants yet close to the taxi stand that brings you anywhere else on the island. We stayed 3 nights but even after continuing our vacation, we yearned to return to Villa La Bella. Curtis and Ashley--thanks for making our Island Time so special!

Room Tip: Palapa 1 for the sunrise view, conch shower, and swing bed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank WorldTrodder
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I waited too long to write this review, but I haven't forgotten a single detail about Villa La Bella. When we stayed there last year there were not as many reviews for this location and I took a chance selecting a honeymoon spot in Mexico following my wedding. My wife and I were married on April 1st in Puerta Adventuras at the Dreams Resort in Quintana Roo. My wife and I are frequent travelers to Mexico and usually enjoy the "all inclusive" route when we visit.

My wife and I agreed that for the honeymoon portion of our wedding, we wanted to get of the beaten path and enjoy some of the culture. We also wanted to find a place that wasn't a hot spot for tourists, and slightly more secluded. I found Isla Mujeres and thought it looked like a great place to hide from the "American Way" of tourism.

I was in charge of the honeymoon planning, and found a couple of places on Isla that I wanted to give a try. Villa La Bella was one of them, and I contacted Ashley through email about my plans. Ashley and Curtis are the reason I selected Villa La Bella. It was the warm feeling that came through an email that made me comfortable with the choice.

We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite during the first week in April 2011 and loved every minute of it. We enjoyed Curtis's unique and delicious breakfast each morning. Curtis and Ashley made us feel like we were old friends and a welcomed guest in their home. I enjoyed every moment in this place, and can honestly say that I have never had an experience like Villa.

I don't remember very many details from our stay at the resort we had our wedding at. I remember every minute, and every feeling I had while staying at Villa La Bella. I actually find myself day dreaming about going back to Isla, sitting at the Swing bar and having a beer with Curtis, catching up with everything.

We loved the honeymoon suite, sleeping with the large sliding glass door open at night and seeing the sun rise while lying in bed was amazing. The feel of the ocean breeze while sleeping at night and waking up to see the first light of sun only to slip back into a comfortable sleep again was my favorite part. The coffee with a touch of cinnamon was amazing along with breakfast. Ashley and Curtis gave us some good recommendations for daily activities. We found great places to eat, most in walking distance. We rented a golf cart during one of our days and drove around the island. We saw the sun rise from the most eastern point of the island.

The pool was fantastic, the swing bar amazing. The live music on Friday was the talk of the neighborhood. The staff made great drinks and were very friendly. The private beach was perfect. A great place to spend an entire day just watching the ocean. We got to meet and hang with the locals. The ex pats on the island almost convinced us to move down there ourselves.

I can not explain how wonderful Villa La Bella is with words, you definitely have to experience it for yourself. I usually like to leave positive criticism on places that I stay, trying to find areas of improvement or make suggestions to other travelers to help make their stay nicer, but I have none for Villa. It honestly and truly has become my standard and has set the precedence for paradise and future vacations.

We hope to get back there someday to visit, and feel like Villa is our island home away from it all. We applaud Ashley and Curtis for their hospitality and for sharing Villa La Bella with so many other travelers. Thank you for the memories!

Jonathan and Cortney Burnos

P.S. To C&A: Sorry it took so long to post this!

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite all the way, however I think any room would be perfect. I would even sleep on the couch in the living room if they let me.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Seriously - what everyone else says. My husband and I had sworn off B&Bs, but our friends booked this leg of our 3-stop Caribbean Yucatan trip. There were 4 of - 2 couples, and this was our favorite stop. We stayed for 4 nights. Curtis and Ashley are so warm and welcoming. The property is even more breathtaking than you can imagine. The beds are super comfortable. The pool was right outside our door -- literally. You could jump from our sliding glass door into the pool in two steps. I read for hours each day in one of three hammocks. You can walk right down to a small secluded beach. There are iguanas and frigates and their dog and sunsets...and fantastic margaritas. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked great. Three are along the pool on the bottom level. I imagine the 2nd-floor room closest to the ocean is better than the one closest to the road, although they both appeared to have an ocean view. and the room above the bar - probably the most expensive - looked stunning. It had a set of 4 ocean-facing sliding glass doors onto a deck overlooking the ocean and the property.
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Everything was dialed in from the moment we showed up. We instantly felt right at home and they always went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Curtis and Ashley have a beautiful property, great staff and are amazing hosts. Great for couples or small groups of friends. Well located on the island...away from the main area, but close enough to get there when you want. Walking distance to a few good restaurants, etc. Curtis and Ashley are a wealth of knowledge as well, so ask for any recommendations on restaurants and be sure you get involved with Curtis' Sangrita! Only suggestion would be to add a little variety to the pool/bar area soundtrack...even though, and don't get me wrong, it's a great setting for some Jimmy Buffet!!

Room Tip: From what I can tell, you can't go wrong!