New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Mia Reef Isla Mujeres

Mia Reef Isla Mujeres
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Isla Mujeres
Holland, Michigan
“Great location, in need of some TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

This is a great location. Nice spot for swimming and playing in the water. The hotel needs to have some painting done, some maintenance and repair.

This is by no means a five star hotel, in my opinion, who needs a five star hotel though? We personally don't spend much time in our room at the hotel so location is what matters to us. The room is basic and modest. The island does not have a party atmosphere, no big clubs etc. If you like parties, this is not for you. Avalon is a very relaxed environment. Great for couples!

We love it here for the quiet and beautiful atmosphere.

As always, Rosendo and Efrain are AWESOME! We LOVE them! Lalo is a guy who work for Mundaca Divers on the hotel property and he is also extremely friendly!

Don't forget to tip the waiters! They do not make much money!!!

The activities guy was probably the most quiet activities person ever... He needs to pump it up a bit! If you like activities, at this point in time not much going on!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank travel_chicx
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

A little disappointed … but I knew what we were getting

We stayed 4 days at the Avalon Reef before we moved to another resort. I wish it was only 3 days. We stayed in the hotel section which is very, very basic. Nothing was surprising to me as I read so many reviews before I booked this place in October. The room itself is so small – no place to set your suitcases on so we had to leave ours on the floor. Good thing we were 4 floors up so we didn’t have to worry about bugs and such …

We wanted a basic room with basic amenities as we planned on exploring the island and checking out the different bars and restaurants during those 4 days. So this place was fine for just sleeping and showering, however I think this place charges too much for a bed, a TV and a shower. I understand that the villas are much nicer.

One thing I will not ever understand is why the Avalon insists on charging for their WiFi … Every day we went somewhere else so we could eat, drink while hooked up to everyone else’s FREE WiFi. Does the Avalon not realize that we would have consumed way more food and drinks at their establishment if they offered free WiFi? We spent hundreds of dollars off the resort mostly because of this. We walked across the pier to Felix’s – great bar and restaurant – and spent more than one afternoon there because of the free WiFi. Not good marketing on Avalon’s part in my opinion.

Another beef was our first morning we decided to have the breakfast buffet. Well actually I was the only one having the buffet, my husband just had coffee as he never eats breakfast. There was a nice spread of assorted dishes and an omelet station which was very good. When we got our bill, before I really realized it, they charged us for 2 buffets! The bill said $390 pesos but it was our first time out and I didn’t really stop to convert and figure out that they charged us for two buffets. By the time I did figure it out, we were on the pier heading to Felix’s, and I didn’t want to go back and argue with our waiter. So my own fault really. But still $190 pesos for a breakfast buffet? That was the last time we did that. We found The Rooster and La Cazuela M&J that were far superior and a lot cheaper!
We did eat dinner one night at the Avalon when we didn’t feel like walking into downtown … menu is so limited with only about 4 or 5 dishes. It was just alright but would not be on my recommended dining list.

We fed the fish at the King’s Bath one evening … that was fun – they are quite aggressive once they realize you have food! I was trying to make sure the smaller fish got some of the crackers, but the large fish would literally take it out of their mouths. It was entertaining to watch, and then when I had no more food, they all stuck by very close to me, hoping that I would keep feeding them.

The beach at Avalon is nice but always seemed so crowded. We actually found the whole island quite crowded. Beach service was pretty good at the Avalon.

All in all, I never felt really comfortable at the Avalon, didn’t really like the room and was not impressed with the food. Service was pretty good and the front desk staff is all very friendly.

Room Tip: villas are probably worth the upgrade
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank kat58

Travellers are raving about these Isla Mujeres hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We just returned from Isla and the Avalon Reef Club. A friend of mine got married on the island and I was in the wedding. My husband and I stayed here because it was cheaper than the all-inclusive most of the wedding party and guests stayed at. We read the reviews and knew it wasn’t going to be as nice as the all-inclusive, but tired it anyways. The resort and rooms are clean and the staff is incredibly nice and helpful. Both are not high-end by any means and have sparse furniture, but everything is very clean and the grounds are kept very nice. The outside building needs painting, but it seemed every day there were men working on different parts of the outside, so I hope they are trying to improve that. The bed was hard, but any bed I have had in Mexico is, our room was not missing anything, well a clock, but I also found out from people who stayed at the all-inclusive and another condo on the island that they didn’t have clocks in their rooms either. Who cares, you are on vacation…or island time as we called it! A/C worked, got cold a few nights even. We had room service one night and it was good food, we heard the breakfast buffet was good, but we walked in to town or road our golf cart for breakfast every morning. They are definitely trying to improve and encourage people to stay and eat at their restaurant, they had a different theme every night for the restaurant, but it didn’t seem like many people ate there, kind of felt bad. We went to town every night for dinner as we like to try out the local culture when we travel. The beaches and snorkeling in the lagoon and Kings Bath were incredible, we have snorkeled in Mexico and the Caribbean before and I have never seen as many fish and different fish as I did here. It was nice because it was mostly guests from the Avalon or the resort across the lagoon who swam there, not over crowed with tourists in the least (we brought our own snorkel gear). The locals do come to the resorts edge in their boats on the weekend and swim, but they don’t come all the way in to the beaches. We loved staying here as it was away from all the other hotels and very quiet…especially the beaches. Some of the wedding party would walk from their beach to the Avalon area and swim in the lagoon and lay on the beach, because it was quiet compared to theirs and because you can walk out pretty far in the ocean before it gets deep. We stayed in a standard room and concluded when we go back we will try a villa, they are tucked in behind the tower and the villa area seemed even quieter and had balcony’s, which we concluded we would have loved to have to sit on. By far the best resort beach area we have stayed at, again we have stayed in Mexico a few places and the Caribbean. We loved our stay and would recommend to anyone…just go in knowing it’s not going to be like an all-inclusive, just a quiet hotel with a beautiful beach and ocean view all around it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tanya K
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

My fiance and I have been to the Avalon twice and WILL go back again in the future! The water is absolutely AMAZING here! Snorkeling is fun and the beach is PERFECT! The breakfast bar is fabulous, however, I recommend eating out in town for dinners. The dinners there are not good. Small menu. The outdoor bar is great as well! If you stay here, stay in the villas, not in the tower. The villas are FABULOUS and you can hear the waves crashing as you sleep! The water is literally right out your balcony! Very quiet and serene. Get a golf cart 2! Driving in town is fun! Seriously, this is the best vacation place ever. Isla Mujeres is so much fun and it's very relaxing. The towns people are very nice. It was simple to get to the island with the ferry. We found SO MUCH to do on both trips that we never left isla mujeres. I miss this place so much and can't waitto go back! I'm jealous for all of you headed there! HAVE FUN! P.S. We were there last January and it pretty much rained the whole time :( blah...and it was only about 65 degrees. The first time there was in June and it was perfect!

Room Tip: Villas are the best!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rachel C
Mill Bay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

I'll get the negative out of the way first. Our first time here, we were disappointed in the room, due to noisy location and a/c. Tried all week to get a bedside lamp, no luck, we were told there weren't any more. Considering there is a large wal-mart like store 15min away, not much effort by staff. We also could not get a shuttle from the ferry terminal to the airport, we were not told you have to book 24hrs in advance, on the upside the taxi turned out to be cheaper. On the positive side; Great location away from the larger crowds, bar/restaurant staff were very good, along with a great breakfast buffet. The buffet had everything you could want with fresh fruit, made to order omelletes, pancakes, and waffles. Get a suite or villa if you can it will be worth the extra dollars.

Room Tip: If you want value the tower rooms are okay, but very noisy a/c. The tower rooms on the beach side we...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple