New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Loved the people, food, beaches and water...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cozumel

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the people, food, beaches and water...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2006

What can I say, The ombience of Carnival Week was only second to torquoise waters we experienced. The diving was spectacular not only because the hurricane had been there in October but it had turned over sands that revealed things that had not been seen in many many years. We found and saw things and creatures that have been said to not be there in the past. Shipwrecks that were able to be dove to from other angles that you couldn't in the past. If you snorkeled off the beaches near the store fronts on the mian street in downtown you may have been lucky to find treasures that you could only buy in the stores before October 2005. My wife and I shared a week together on the Island I can't remember when we have smiled at each other so much in the last 17 years. we found our love for each other again along with the paradise that we knew was ready to share itself again. Sure there are some buildings that have not recovered from the storm yet, but I tell you what the people that are rebuilding Cozumel are doing it with smiles and warm hearts and they love to entertain and show you a good time. We traveled and walked all over that island in 7 days and we just had to go back to a few places like Mezcalito's, Coconut's, Rasta's and Jeanie's Waffle House. the folks there are the best. If you want to go to a great place to eat and drink margarita's then Coconut's is the place to do it, tell jorge we said hi and will be back in the fall to play again, they are on the highest point on the Island and the views are spectacular and breathtaking to say the least. We stayed in a compound away from the water and you can do it fairly cheap if you come with a group of people to share the cost email me I will give you the info for the place it is awesome to live in w/a pool, it's all good. we stayed for $440 for the week and had all the amenities you could ask for. cabs were 5 pesos to the other side of the island but be sure to ask before you get in. LOTS OF CABS use 'em they are cheap to get around. Many things to see and do so with the hotels and beach fronts coming open again I would say you can't go wrong by giving Cozumel your time and effort to visit. There seems to be alot of property for sale but that is another story, although I will say it isn't very cheap. Some great places to won and share if you want to go that route maybe a bed and breakfast. The tree's took a pounding but they are getting very green again so I would say in a year or two they will be oh so beautiful.
Let it be known that Cozumel is ready to have us down there to enjoy the sands the sun and the waters, book it and go enjoy.

p.s. Don't drink the water, we never got sick once but take your acidolpholus w/you and take it everyday regardless.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't go to cozumel!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week's vacation in cozumel. The hurricane did extensive damage to the island back in October. It looked like the hurricane had just happened. Their is no beach near the downtown area. It was all washed up by the hurricane Wilma. 90% of the buildings are gone. Only 1 or 2 resorts on the island are completely finished. Also, a lot of the reef was destroyed by Wilma. I think it will take years to rebuild and I don't recommend it at this time.

One last thing. The islanders are desperate for money since they obviously did not receive a lot of aid from the govt. to help rebuild. They're extremely agressive to sell you anything and they are very rude when you say no. You feel sorry for them at the beginning but than you can't help but become extremely irritated as was the case for us.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Worth, Texas
21 helpful votes
“A die hard Cozumel Lover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2006

Ive always loved this island and we visit a couple of times a year. Worried since the hurrican, we went down for a week end of January. The place really looked great! I mean, talk about a town that pulls together and did a heck of a job. I am going to post some pictures form that trip. We got back yesterday so recent photos! I am just thankful to know that Wilma didn't do any true damage to the "People" of Cozumel.

16 Thank aginn10
Omaha, NE
9 helpful votes
“Cruise was aswome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2006

We went on a cruise to Cozumel and it was wonderful. It was a Carnival ship. We went to X-carat and it was beautiful. We also went to a dolphin adventure, but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

1 Thank Twiff
“The Beautiful Cozumel!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2006

After Huricane Wilma, I was afraid that Cozumel would be un-visitable. But the place and the people are moving forward, and we had a blast!!!! We went snorkeling and shopping, and the people were ALL unbeat and friendly. The following photos were taken during our January cruise. Don't hesitate, visit Cozumel soon!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Cozumel? Share your experiences!