“Great Location”

Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Oklahoma
“Great Location”
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel in July 2008. We were checking into a Villa for a week and just needed a place to stay for the night. We picked this hotel due to it's location which is close to some of our favorite places in Cozumel. It was just what I expected from the reviews on this site. Our room and bathroom were clean. Nothing fancy but that is not what we were looking for. Check in was very quick and easy. The elevator was a little scary, so we took the stairs ! They had a band at the bar across the street which got started around 11:00 pm and went until around 4:00 am. It was very loud but the air conditioner in the room seemed to be louder most of the time, so it really did not bother us too much! We had a great nights stay here. I would recommend it for someone looking for just a night or two like we were looking for and want a great price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mead4osu
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2008

After a short stay at Playa del Carmen we took the ferry over to Cozumel. We did not have a hotel reservation anywhere. We just got off the ferry and started checking out a few hotels nearby as we wanted to stay somewhere close to the ferry terminal for our trip back home. All the shopping we would need as well as a fair amount of restaurants were all close by. The first hotel we checked was the Meson San Miquel which was very old and drab. I checked out a room first and found a very old air conditioner that I had on for a while and was very sure it wouldn't do much good. There was a view of the ocean, but no balcony. I am not a 5 star type person, but this was a low 2 in my books. The only thing it had going for it was it's location. Alot of updating would need to be done to entice me to stay there! We consulted an internet cafe to check the trip advisor on a couple more we had seen within a few blocks of the ferry. The next we checked out was the Mary Carmen, but after looking inside the lobby and from a comment or two on the trip advisor, we moved on. We found the Suites Colonial right across the street. The tiled and tropical breezeway down to the lobby was very pretty and the reception area was a little old, but was extremely clean and well kept. We took a room for 3 nights that had a large fridge. The hotel offered a small continental breakfast each morning of coffee, fruit, toast, sweet rolls and orange juice. There was a computer with internet in the lobby for guests to use. The hotel was very quiet and well maintained. The three days we were there the maids washed down the entire breezeway (and it was long!) either single handedly or as a group effort each morning. It wasn't even used that much nor was it dirty! We were happy to be on the first floor (one up from the street) as the elevator was extremely small and old. Probably worked fine, but I have a fear issue with old elevators and prefer to walk the stairs. Our room was very large with one double bed and also a single bed. Lots of storage, good water pressure and temperature. It was quite hot while we were there and the air conditioner had to be on almost constantly. One of the reasons for that was our bathroom window had some broken slats (no fear for theft as the window was not accessible by anyone from the outside). We had to keep the door closed at all times for the air to keep up. It was a little loud and we had to turn it to low fan through the night or even turn it off for periods of time. The maid did a super job with our room as well as all around the hotel, lobby, hallways and breakfast area. I would rate this hotel as a 3 star with an extra 1/2 point for it's cleanliness. There was no in room safe but we had gotten used to carrying around our valuables with us anyways. There may have been a safe at the lobby, but we didn't even check. The hotel has no pool but it's location was excellent. Most people are either out diving for the day or exploring the island anyways. Many dive shops within a short walking distance. I will be writing a trip review of Cozumel as well as this hotel review if you would like to hear about the restaurants, car rental and sights we saw.

Stayed April 2008
5 Thank calgaryred
Minnesota
Reviewed 27 March 2008

I stayed because of recommendations from this site. I was pleased with the hotel. Location is the best. Entrance is a pretty hallway back from the street. Free computer with internet in lobby. TV with basic cable and some English channels and large frig. in rooms. Frig. is not little mini frigs you find in most hotels. Double bed with semi wall between another twin bed. I believe room was listed as king bed but only a double/queen. Shower was fairly spacious with toilet and sink in bathroom. No tub. Separate sink with mirror outside bath. Table with 2 chairs, dresser night stand, tile floors, dark wood walls, no private balcony. Motel type entrance to room. No pool. They had a continental breakfast but it was at 8:00am and I had to leave for diving around 7:15 and never had it. Rooms were fairly clean. I saw some hair in the shower and had a problem with the toilet they were unable to fix my 2 days there. I was confused with the price and ended up paying around $80.00 per night. I thought this hotel was cheaper according to this site but I didn't get $40.00 per night. I looked at other hotels that were around $40.00 per night in the area. They were truly dim lighted, old furniture and reminded me more of hostels. I'll go back to Suites Coloniel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — thought it would be cheaper.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sukidiver
Houston
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We always stay here. Its so convenient. We have known the maid "Alyssia" for the past 16 years. She once carried a 5 gallon bucket of water up 2 stories for us once because not long after the hurricane Wilma, we had a temporary water issue for about an hour. We could wait, but she didn't want us to have to wait. The rooms are always clean and very spacious. We are to the dive pier each morning in a couple of minutes. Being in the plaza simplifies everything. The only need for transportation is when we decide to go to the other side of the island. We love it. We check out other places while we are there, but always decide to return to the Colonial.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank DiveALot
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We stayed at the Suites Colonial for three days prior to checking into a resort. This little hotel surpassed my expectations in most ways and I would recommend staying there - for the budget-minded traveller. The rooms are amazingly clean (I've stayed in rooms for 5 times the money that weren't this clean) and the beds are comfortable. The showers and kitchens are surprisingly LARGE! The town-square is only about 100 feet away from the front door - with amazing shopping and eating!

Our ONLY complaint with this hotel was the air-conditioning - it never seems to reach the living-room / dining-room areas.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Price
  • Disliked — Air-conditioning
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends