“Central, clean, affordable” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Salmon Arm, Canada
“Central, clean, affordable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

After a short stay at Playa del Carmen we took the ferry over to Cozumel. We did not have a hotel reservation anywhere. We just got off the ferry and started checking out a few hotels nearby as we wanted to stay somewhere close to the ferry terminal for our trip back home. All the shopping we would need as well as a fair amount of restaurants were all close by. The first hotel we checked was the Meson San Miquel which was very old and drab. I checked out a room first and found a very old air conditioner that I had on for a while and was very sure it wouldn't do much good. There was a view of the ocean, but no balcony. I am not a 5 star type person, but this was a low 2 in my books. The only thing it had going for it was it's location. Alot of updating would need to be done to entice me to stay there! We consulted an internet cafe to check the trip advisor on a couple more we had seen within a few blocks of the ferry. The next we checked out was the Mary Carmen, but after looking inside the lobby and from a comment or two on the trip advisor, we moved on. We found the Suites Colonial right across the street. The tiled and tropical breezeway down to the lobby was very pretty and the reception area was a little old, but was extremely clean and well kept. We took a room for 3 nights that had a large fridge. The hotel offered a small continental breakfast each morning of coffee, fruit, toast, sweet rolls and orange juice. There was a computer with internet in the lobby for guests to use. The hotel was very quiet and well maintained. The three days we were there the maids washed down the entire breezeway (and it was long!) either single handedly or as a group effort each morning. It wasn't even used that much nor was it dirty! We were happy to be on the first floor (one up from the street) as the elevator was extremely small and old. Probably worked fine, but I have a fear issue with old elevators and prefer to walk the stairs. Our room was very large with one double bed and also a single bed. Lots of storage, good water pressure and temperature. It was quite hot while we were there and the air conditioner had to be on almost constantly. One of the reasons for that was our bathroom window had some broken slats (no fear for theft as the window was not accessible by anyone from the outside). We had to keep the door closed at all times for the air to keep up. It was a little loud and we had to turn it to low fan through the night or even turn it off for periods of time. The maid did a super job with our room as well as all around the hotel, lobby, hallways and breakfast area. I would rate this hotel as a 3 star with an extra 1/2 point for it's cleanliness. There was no in room safe but we had gotten used to carrying around our valuables with us anyways. There may have been a safe at the lobby, but we didn't even check. The hotel has no pool but it's location was excellent. Most people are either out diving for the day or exploring the island anyways. Many dive shops within a short walking distance. I will be writing a trip review of Cozumel as well as this hotel review if you would like to hear about the restaurants, car rental and sights we saw.

Stayed April 2008
5 Thank calgaryred
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

I stayed because of recommendations from this site. I was pleased with the hotel. Location is the best. Entrance is a pretty hallway back from the street. Free computer with internet in lobby. TV with basic cable and some English channels and large frig. in rooms. Frig. is not little mini frigs you find in most hotels. Double bed with semi wall between another twin bed. I believe room was listed as king bed but only a double/queen. Shower was fairly spacious with toilet and sink in bathroom. No tub. Separate sink with mirror outside bath. Table with 2 chairs, dresser night stand, tile floors, dark wood walls, no private balcony. Motel type entrance to room. No pool. They had a continental breakfast but it was at 8:00am and I had to leave for diving around 7:15 and never had it. Rooms were fairly clean. I saw some hair in the shower and had a problem with the toilet they were unable to fix my 2 days there. I was confused with the price and ended up paying around $80.00 per night. I thought this hotel was cheaper according to this site but I didn't get $40.00 per night. I looked at other hotels that were around $40.00 per night in the area. They were truly dim lighted, old furniture and reminded me more of hostels. I'll go back to Suites Coloniel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — thought it would be cheaper.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sukidiver
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2008

We always stay here. Its so convenient. We have known the maid "Alyssia" for the past 16 years. She once carried a 5 gallon bucket of water up 2 stories for us once because not long after the hurricane Wilma, we had a temporary water issue for about an hour. We could wait, but she didn't want us to have to wait. The rooms are always clean and very spacious. We are to the dive pier each morning in a couple of minutes. Being in the plaza simplifies everything. The only need for transportation is when we decide to go to the other side of the island. We love it. We check out other places while we are there, but always decide to return to the Colonial.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank DiveALot
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

We stayed at the Suites Colonial for three days prior to checking into a resort. This little hotel surpassed my expectations in most ways and I would recommend staying there - for the budget-minded traveller. The rooms are amazingly clean (I've stayed in rooms for 5 times the money that weren't this clean) and the beds are comfortable. The showers and kitchens are surprisingly LARGE! The town-square is only about 100 feet away from the front door - with amazing shopping and eating!

Our ONLY complaint with this hotel was the air-conditioning - it never seems to reach the living-room / dining-room areas.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Price
  • Disliked — Air-conditioning
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
1 Thank MIsterKBrown
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2006

We just got back from another week in the Coz... This time, we stayed at the Hotel Colonial and heard about it from the Sunwing vacation packages online. With no recent reviews and little info on the web, I was a little apprehensive but that all changed once I got there.

The hotel is located a stone's throw from the main town square... restaurants, shops and nitelife are all within a couple minutes walk. All the must-visit food venues like La Chosa, Pepe's, Tony Romas etc are all right around the corners. Dive shops are all over the place. I dive with Aqua Safari (and highly recommend them) and although they are a few blocks away, the walk is nice in the AM.

Now, back to the hotel.

There are three floors. The elevator is still out of commission, but likely could not hold both you and your luggage at the same time anyway. The stairs are wide and easy. If you have lots of stuff or bad knees, just book on the first floor and you will hardly notice the climb. The view is great. The disco (previous posting) is loud, but the AC drowns everything out. It is loud but works ok if you shut the bedroom and bathroom doors to trap the cold air in the bedroom. Nights in FEB/MAR offer cool breezes so you really don't need it.

The rooms are very spacious... we had a suite with a mini kitchen. No cutlery, pots or plates to speak of so just buy some disposables at the grocery stores when you stock up your drinks and snacks. The fridge/feezer looked NEW and work perfectly.

The suites feature a LARGE sitting area with two couches looking towards a big window with shutters. The dining area is slightly smaller on the other side of the room with a window/shutters too.

The bedroom has two double beds, a dresser, night table, drawers and large cupboards with ample storage. Glass louvred windows and an AC run along the top of the room. Drapes are included for privacy although nobody can see in. The TV is ok (no remote) and is on cable with several english (US) feeds of movies with spanish subtitles... The beds are comfortable... really!

The bathroom has windows, a shower and toilet. The counter is large with a full-width mirror and lights. The water does not smell and is clear (still don't drink it). Usual mustiness is solved with a Glade plug-in)

The floors are all tiled and kept VERY clean by the maids (tip them daily). While we are on that topic, the whole place is VERY clean. It is not a resort by any means, but it was as clean and well-kept as any major resort I have stayed at.

Lots of soft lighting outside the rooms and along the open air halls that get you to the rooms.

No bugs, creepies or crawlies to be seen anywhere.

The front desk guy is nice but speaks only a bit of english (you should take some spanish before going anyway...) You can lock up valuables like ID, tickets and spare cash in their safe (in a sealed envelope with your initials on the masking tape). They have free "medium speed" internet on a PC in the lobby for you email and MSN freaks (like my wife).

The breakfast is ok for a quick coffee and fruit or sweatbread but you can cross the street and eat at Cocos or almost anywhere for about 5$ USD each and be full!

There is only one thing... the street that gives you access to the hotel is pedestrian only. If you have alot of stuff (eg bags and dive gear) you will be a little tired after slugging it all from the taxi or shuttle to the hotel lobby and then up the stairs. That is the only thing I missed about other hotels I have stayed at. But not a big enough deal to discount this place.

Remember there is NO POOL. If you want to swim at a beach, you should take a taxi, scooter or rent a car and head up the highway (you need to explore the island anyway!) to one of the many beach clubs... lounge all day and just buy drinks and some munchies. You can swim anywhere downtown if you have watershoes and don't mind the rocky coral shores...

Anyway, the hotel is great. Not luxury, but you are not paying for luxury. I don't think you will be unhappy here if you read all this review and still are interested. I have not left anything out.

Oh, some beach clubs are still closed (destroyed by the hurricane)... other are open again. Chankanaab park is still closed and if you take a scooter along the old beach road (destroyed), you can see all the destroyed resorts like the El Presidente. Rumour has it that the $$ backers have walked away and it not being re-built. If you see the pics of the damage, you won't believe how much re-building has already been done around the island and downtown. The cruise ship piers are still destroyed, but the Ultramar ferrys are moving passengers on and off the island to the anchored ships.

PS: BEWARE OF ALL THE TIMESHARE SCAMS IN MEXICO. MOST ARE SCAMS AND THERE SEEMS TO BE AN INORDINATE AMOUNT PITCHING THE MAYAN PALACE (CANCUN / PLAYA DEL CARMEN). Visit ---- and ---- BEFORE you fly south and get an idea about what lies you will be told before you accept the invite for a 90 minute presentation and free swag... we wasted a full day on this "90" minute scam and barely escaped with our wallets. When I googled the place back at the hotel, I was so thankful that I was not sucked into the scam.

Enjoy Cozumel... I will be back again next year and although I plan to rent a condo and bring my kids and outlaws with me, I would not hesitate to stay at the Colonial again if it was just my wife and I again. I hope this helps you decide a few more details of your trip.

• Stayed March 2006