“Family group vacation/scuba divers- 1st stay here”
Review of Occidental Cozumel

Occidental Cozumel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Springfield, Missouri
“Family group vacation/scuba divers- 1st stay here”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We have made a couple trips to Cozumel in the past few years but this was our first stay at OGC. We liked the welcoming glass of champagne. We found the natural setting of the property- gorgeous. Pool water was very warm- but it was late June. We were glad to be at a resort with an actual beach (don't let your snorkeling equipment stay unattended though) The housekeeping was very good. We did have AC issues the first couple of nights, which was not too pleasant at this time of the year, but once we were placed in an equivalent accommodation, things were much better. The quality of the buffets were better than average and the specialty restaurants were a nice compliment to our stay--William at the Los Olivos, was top notch. On site activities were fun - casino night and the disco--and the fire show was very entertaining. The location is a good 15 minute drive from downtown- but it gave us the opportunity to easily explore the other side of the island.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank rhondak257
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Keller
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My daughter and I just returned from our 11th trip to OGC and had a wonderful time! We have tried other resorts, but we continue to return here because the quality of the people and the location. The rooms and restaurants are always great, but it is the staff members that make us ready to return each time we leave. Ricardo and Marcela at the front desk, Daniel and Adrian and all the staff members of each restaurant, and Manuel, Santos, and Victor at the bar are all exceptional. We didn't stay in the Royal Club, but we stopped by and talked with Nelly and she was delightful. She helped us get reservations in the restaurant there and Tomas and Aristeo made our dining there perfect! Although the buffet can be a bit warm, it is not uncomfortable and the food is good. The lunch buffet is a variety of items and you can always get a burger and salad....rather tasty after a morning of diving. I love Dive Palancar staff and we always dive with them. The location of the resort makes diving easy as most of the reefs are very close. We love the shower in the room and our room has always been pleasant. Bed isn't super soft, but I NEVER have a problem sleeping! Our entire experience is always enjoyable and we will return as soon as possible. I am glad some other travelers find this resort one they would select again.

Room Tip: We like to stay in Building 18 when possible because it is closer to the beach and we dive each day...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank 1ScubamomKeller
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I just came back from the Occidental and my boyfriend and I had an awesome time! We went for his birthday and I e-mailed Yamile(the lady in charge) before I left because I read that others had done so to make special accomidations. She was awesome and came through with some nice surprise. We got the room and dinner reservations we asked for no problem!
The food was pretty good! Some people on here complained pretty bad about it, but I found it to be fine and I am pretty much a vegetarian. The chips&cheese from Sonora Grill were the best, along with the fajitas. The cake they had for my boyfriend was amazing as well!
One night we walked left about 5 minutes on the beach to a resturant called Albertos. Excellent food & yard glass drinks! The resort gives u a coupon for free nachos too! Delish!
The beach was nice, as well as the pools. Never had trouble finding a spot to lay out.
One suggestion, it gets a little musty in the rooms so I'd suggest bringing a damp rid bag to get rid of some moisture and fabreeze!
Otherwise I loved the place and would highly recommend it!
Oooh and one more tip don't bring beef jerky into Mexico! The airport highly frowns upon it and confiscated it. They also wrote some kind of ticket! Weird! Lol

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank Sweetierie
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I read the revews and thought it cant be that bad,boy was i wrong.from the time we got out of the cab to the day we left,it is who you have to deal with,from the time share people trying to sell you some Bs time share to the guys up front trying to cut out the travel guys to the car rental guys.I was so tired of hearing hey buddy,and too far from most things like shopping,and car rental will kill you,and yes the food sucks

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank keith g
South West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This hotel is one of my favourite hotels I have been to. I went in 2006 (a while ago now) shortly after their major hurricane which flattened most of the island.

This hotel was a dream. We stayed in the Royal Club and the rooms were immaculate with lovely bathrooms, featuring a bath and a separate shower.

This is a beachfront hotel and the beach has white sandy beaches and beautiful blue seas. Safe to swim in with little wave movement.

The hotel boasts a number of restaurants, 5 in all I believe which offers a wide selection if you are staying there for a while.

The staff are very friendly and the service is good.

If you get the chance, go on the quad bike excursion...it is the most fun. The swimming with dolphins experience was one not to forget.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family