All reviews papa hogs superior room convenience store dive trip rooms are clean hot water internet connection breakfast was included king bed staff was very friendly and helpful great snorkeling fridge jorge island pier mexico scooter
Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was one of the nicest family hotels I have ever stayed in. The bed was better than the 5-star resort that we stayed at the first few nights in Mexico. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and comfortable and the cafe for breakfast was clean and the food was good. You have to cross a busy street to get to the water but that wasn't to bad considering everything. I will go back to Villa on my next trip.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Pleasant enough, clean, and a fairly attractive property. We checked in and were informed there was a "special" offer of $20 a night to upgrade to a superior room. Funny thing is, the rack rate difference, posted on their wall, was only about 180 pesos, I think--less than 20 bucks. So not that special, really. Anyhow, we went for the upgrade, which got us a room with a nice couch (could double as a second bed) and a two-foot deep balcony from which we could see the water off to the left. The tiny balcony was exactly big enough for two plastic chairs facing each other (which means only one person gets the ocean view), with a few feet in between for our knees. Plus there was a peg above each chair for hanging a wetsuit or bathing suit. I would consider the balcony barely functional. A first-floor room with accompanying patio space may be better, especially for divers. There was a big refrigerator, and housekeeping was great. Towel art doesn't make or break my experience, but it was fun to see what was waiting on the bed every day. The bathroom was mostly marble, large and fairly attractive. The hot water was good, and the AC worked well. There are signs alerting visitors that towels and linens will not be changed every day for conservation reasons, but you can request daily service if it's important to you. There was complimentary shampoo and soap.

I rather liked the shelf/divider between the bed area and the sitting area--it had all the lamp controls as well as an outlet--very convenient for recharging devices. Good design.

We didn't see the inside of the standard rooms, but they're in a building toward the back of the property, behind the pool. It was shadier back there and had a nice, private feel with a few tables spread about for lounging or gear-drying. They might be very desirable in hotter months.

Our first night there, one of the three bars (Swingers???) was going loud and strong, with much amplified music and booming DJ banter, until 2 am. That was a really bad night's sleep, despite being tired from our pre-dawn flight and long travel day. I was told the disco experience was a Thursday-through-Saturday thing. By the time the next Thursday rolled around, we were into the Christmas holidays, so we didn't have to hear it again. But I think it might be an issue in choosing whether or not to stay there again.

The pool was pretty and nice for lounging, though in December it was too cold to even consider swimming in--I assume it's unheated. It was nice to have a hot tub nearby.

We were given a liter bottle of water at the beginning of our stay and told we could come back for refills. Definitely appreciated.

We came expecting free WiFi that we might be able to use from our balcony. For the first few days it was spotty and mostly unusable. Halfway through our trip, they upgraded their network to a pay system. There was still ostensibly free WiFi within about 10 feet of the lobby, but I couldn't get it to show up most of the time. La Hach across the street had much better WiFi, so at least in the afternoons/evenings, we were covered.

The location, other than the bar noise, is ok. Close to three dive shops and a small cluster of restaurants and bars. The walk to town is very doable, just a little longer than I'd like--we tended to walk in and cab back, or vice versa. Cabs on Cozumel are pretty expensive, given the distance they're covering. The current asking price to anywhere in the downtown zone, including the Mega and Chedraui markets, is about $6 US.

One little thing I didn't like were some of the little extra fees--a per-stay fee to use the hotel safe (no in-room lock box), and beach-towel deposits. And, now, fee for Internet.

We didn't try the restaurant. We tried Papa Hog's and La Hach but mostly walked down to the Blue Angel when we wanted a good meal. La Hach and La Palapita are nice enough places to have a drink and watch the sun set.

Before we arrived, I contacted them to make sure they had our reservation, and they were responsive to the email.

So is it my favorite Cozumel hotel? No. But when the price is right, it gets the job done with a fair amount of comfort.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wateryrave
Reviewed 18 November 2010

My take on Hotel Villa Blanca. Our room, 14s, was nice and clean with a nice, cold refridgerator. On arrival a five gallon water dispenser was brought in, a nice touch for a thirsty diver. The camarista also perform the best towel art we have ever seen. Just next door is Scuba Mau, Papa Hogs and Dive Paradise. Since I don’t use any of these I had a two USD payment due each day for pier usage. Breakfast is included but we never took advantage of it. They provide a lock box and beach towel at no extra charge. A small amount of parking is available. There is a small pool and Jacuzzi which was not used very much. They did have some people Sunday night for their $14 BBQ. My wife found it very convenient to go to La Palapita beach club just across the street. Ice cold Sol in a coozie for 20 pesos. It is one of three small clubs clustered together here. They all sell food. Daytime food is provided by Papa Hogs and after 4 the food comes from La Hach. It was a nice spot to watch the sunset. The live music from La Hach on Saturday night may be an issue for rooms close to La Hach. So, in my opinion it is an alright place to stay while diving. My kids need Hotel Cozumel or Cozumel Palace.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Spent a week here in August with my brother for a dive trip with Scuba Mau. Basically we passed out in the room at night. The AC and fan were great. Huge fridge. Nice bathroom. We were staying in S9, superior room on ground floor. For $56 a night, being able to hop out of bed and get on the boat across the street is pretty nice. Others have complained about the music from the place across the street, La Hatch, but I think there was only one night while we were there where it was audible, didnt keep us from sleeping. $7 cab ride into town is kind of a bummer and the only ATM within walking distance (less than 5 minutes south at the OXXO) charges you $5USD fee per withdrawal and gives a max of $3000 pesos. I would stay here again in a heartbeat if I was diving with Scuba Mau but if I wasnt diving, would prefer to be in town most likely. Summer prices through Scuba Mau are hard to beat.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We really enjoyed our time at the Villablanca. Our room was spacious (upstairs Superior) with a small balcony and a nice view of the water.
The bed was comfortable for us though not one of those plush pillow top type matresses. The only downside of the room was that the sink was cracked & in need of replacement though it was usable. The AC was quite effective.
Do eat at Arturo's for more than just breakfast. He does a Mexican barbeque weekly that was very good & the Mexican Beef Tips were excellent! Take the time to talk with him. A very friendly, interesting person.
Though Wilma did do damage to the reefs we still found plenty of fish & some coral between the beach club across the road & the stingray place. On Sunday there are no cruise ships so that'sa good day to snorkel from the cruise ship terminal back toward the beach club. There is some reef restoration going on there.
Overall a great vacation, good hotel, very friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple