“Good Diver's Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Alexandria, Virginia
“Good Diver's Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Since Cozumel is advertised as a divers' destination, the hotel is full of divers. So, if you are uncomfortable with lots of folks walking around in wet dive clothing and gear this may not be your ideal hotel. My observation is that the clientele here, even during "Spring Break" is more 50+ than college kids, so the bar is not on the list of places to go if you are interested in partying the night away.

The rooms are clean, if a bit on the rustic side. The shower in our room was very large but the water pressure was very low. This may be a factor of being on the third floor, perhaps water pressure is better on the first floor. There is free WiFi at the hotel and I was able to get 2 bars in my room on the third floor. However, it is slow and spotty. I wouldn't plan on "tele-commuting" from Hotel del Mar. Despite being on the main road along the sea shore, it is fairly quiet at the hotel day or night.

The food in the restaurant is fair with some flashes of inspiration. For instance, I was never disappointed with the fish fillet or ceviche. However, by the end of a week you will have eaten just about everything on the menu at least once.

There is a game room for kids, but it is located behind the public bathrooms in the lobby which you reach by a very small, narrow flight of steps. The game room has a pool table and some paperback books, so its attraction to teens and "tweens" may pale quickly. However, there is effectively no drinking age in Cozumel, or if there is one no one enforces it. So, teens can get served in the hotel bar and buy alcohol (or drugs) within a few steps of the hotel.

The dive shop associated with the hotel, Del Mar Aquatics is a mid-level dive shop with what I would consider "adequate" facilities, but nothing particularly special. The rental gear I used (buoyancy compensator) was far from new although the shop did have some newer gear. The shop does not have its own compressor but instead relies on some sort of central tank refilling plant that apparently many, if not all, of the similar dive operations use. I had taken the training to use Nitrox before I came to Cozumel but after seeing how Nitrox was handled decided not to use Nitrox here. I did not see any gear or anything else to buy at the "shop" which looks more like a public swimming pool dressing room. There are "lockers" which are nothing more than overgrown milk crates in concrete "cubbies" with some plastic chain that you can put a lock on. Other than the rental BC and my weights I preferred to take my gear to my room at the end of diving each day.

The dives here tend to be deep (80 - 100 feet) and the second "shallow" dive may be as deep as 60 feet. Although the shop's web sight indicates that they have their own dive boats, the boats we went out on were clearly not owned by the shop and were hired by the day or trip. The boats tend to take large groups and are somewhat too small (some are way too small) for getting your gear on aboard and stowing towels and etc. for post-dive. Due to the push to get maximum dives in each day, I felt that the dive masters pushed the edge on safety by taking newly qualified divers on deep dives, and diving in very high currents. On one dive the current was so fast, and visibility was so poor, that we found ourselves having to surface before the scheduled dive end time in order to be pulled away from cruise ships getting underway from the cruise ship pier. There were several minutes of confusion as we counted noses and found we were two noses short. The dive master quickly found the missing divers under the cruise ship pier and brought them aboard.

My bottom line here is that the hotel is fine, but you may want to look at another dive operation.

Room Tip: No elevators so some with lots of dive gear may prefer the rooms on the first floor. However, the b...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tmccaffery
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Grand Haven MI.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Once again we had a great stay at Casa Del Mar. We booked last minute through Dive and Travel Adventuers and Heather got us a great deal through Delta Travel. All went well and we were met with a refreshing drink upon check in. We got the room we had asked for and I was diving with a friend within 2 hours. We went into town and had the BEST lime soup at Casa Denis, Adrian was there so it was a real treat to see him.
Two things to mention that we enjoyed while in Coz were the Atlantis submarine ride(across the street from Casa) It was a real treat for nondivers and went down 108 feet, It rode very smooth and was a nice mellow ride.Access was fairly easy with stairs going down in to the sub.
Also I was able to take a Harley Davidson Electra Glide for a cruise on the island!! WOW was that a blast! The Harley rental shop, EagleRiders, is just to the North of Casa Del Mar and it was easy and fairly inexpensive to rent. I wouldn't let my worst enemy rent a scooter on Cozumel but when you have a wonderful piece of American Iron to ride you feel much more safe. A trip around the island is not to be missed if one has the time and loves to ride!
We also enjoyed seeing our friend Clara at Wet Wendys and had the best frozen drinks ever...Ask Clara about the "Sexy Gram" Strawberry Mudslide....people were taking pictures of it...Yum
Good places to eat included El Pique,Parilla Mission,La Mission,Ernesto's and of course we had esquete(sp) in the square on Sunday night.
We will definatly be back to Casa, it is in a great location with a wonderful dive op on site. It is set up for divers and makes dive trips very convenient.We had some incredible dives with Del Mar Aquatics and even enjoyed shore diving right in front of the resort. Our room was kept very clean and the staff were great.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank wallymeister
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Visited March 2012, rooms were clean as always. This is definitely ad divers hotel as the seem to get the best rooms and service. Pool was cleaned daily and ocean front clean as well. Happy hour from 1700-1800 daily 2 for 1 drinks and snacks were tasty. Visit Nachi Coccum their beach club drinks are a little cheaper nice pool and beautiful beach where they have food and excursions. It is offsite and you'll have to get a taxi or some transportation. You cam charge all drinks and excursions to your room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DetroitRicoblu
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

My wife & I are divers. When we first found Casa del Mar we stayed here for the convenience of the diving. Any dive op can pick up at the pier across the street & they have a bridge from the main pool level. Now, after many trips to Cozumel, we consider Casa del Mar our home on Cozumel.

First, I’d like to say, if you think they should cut down the palm trees because you paid for an ocean view room, this may not be the hotel for you. This is a down to earth, clean, comfortable hotel. Every staff member is extremely friendly, courteous & helpful. They speak better English than I speak Spanish by a long shot. They will treat you with dignity unless you give them reason to do otherwise. Give respect to get respect. The rooms, unless you upgrade, are on the small side but sleeping, showering & keeping stuff safely stored is all most “on the go” Cozumel vacationers use the room for, so it works. The hotel is on the land side of the main road. The pool area of the hotel is set 1 floor above street level, with a walkway bridge connecting to the water side. The beach on the water side of the walkway bridge is manmade, with about 20 palapas and plenty of lounge chairs spread out for sun/shade as you see fit. My wife calls this area “the library” because it is quiet and attracts the reading crowd. The dive shop & pier are also at the base of the bridge, extremely convenient for divers. There is also a nice open air massage area but I don’t do massages so I can’t comment. The pool, on the hotel side is where most guests congregate, with plenty of lounge chairs and a large swim up bar. Waiters are always available to take your drink/food order should you not want to get wet. The restaurant is on the opposite side of the bar should you want to eat at a table out of the sun. I find the whole setup very convenient.

The restaurant’s menu is a mix of American and traditional Mexican dishes. You can get a burger, club sandwich, fajitas, tacos or enchiladas. I’m not too picky, I think the food is great and portions are large. The tortilla soup is perfection. They keep things on the mild side but should you desire some “heat”, it’s available, be careful.
-Breakfast, starting at 7 AM is a buffet, with an egg/omelet station, cooked to your desire. Fresh fruit, cereals, yogurt, Mexican dishes with good, strong café in a bottomless cup are always available. If you’re an early riser and café is the name of the game, the festivities begin at 6 AM, or so I’ve been told.
-Lunch is from the menu, all afternoon until around 4 PM when they begin preparations for dinner. I recommend the fish sandwich.
-Dinner, very informal, begins at 6 PM until 9 or 10, not sure. Spaghetti Bolognese in Mexico? Yeah, as a matter of fact. We’re New Yorkers, we travel with some Little Italy culinary aficionados who love the Bolognese here. My point being the food is good.
-If you want something special, ask, they will do their best.
-The hotel offers an all-inclusive, food and drink, alcohol included (good selection), which we opt for since we eat most of our meals at the hotel. Again, convenience is the name of the game. If you’re planning on hoisting a few in the afternoon and eating at the hotel, this is a great option. When we book our stay we know beforehand our food and drink bill is paid. We always seem to wander into town once or twice for dinner but I still give the all-inclusive the nod because if you start adding things up, it’s still a win for us.

As an aside, housekeeping has been steadily increasing their abilities in towel animal art. We had a monkey hanging from the light next to the bed on our last stay. When you return from your day out you will be greeted by one of many animals fashioned from your room’s towels. They are becoming quite intricate. Just felt they deserved a mention.

If you want someone dropping rose petals in front of you as you walk Casa del Mar may not be for you. If you want to curl up under a palapa with a good book or shoot the breeze with friendly fellow guests at the pool bar, put on your happy face, grab a towel & jump in. BTW, most guests at Casa del Mar are repeat customers, some scheduling their vacation with friends they’ve met on previous vacations here. Guess how I know that.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank bubba105
Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean, but small. Not a bad place to stay but not a great place. The Internet is only available in the lobby. The all-inclusive plan is not a bad value but the menu is limited, good though. The bar closes at 10:00 pm.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a balcony, if you are diving for a place to dry your gear. Balconys are small as are the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends