“Authentic Goodness”

La Habichuela Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
La Habichuela Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,065 Restaurants in Cancun
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 40
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Avenida Coba & Uxmal
Description: Located in the center of the city, La Habichuela, has become a legend of Cancun with more than 38 years of operation. Some say that if you don't know La Habichuela, you don't know Cancun. The unique and a genuine ambience of the Mayan culture, attentive service, complete menu of Mexican cuisine,Caribbean seafood , steaks, international dishes, have built the restaurant's strong reputation. La Habichuela was awarded the Five Diamonds Award from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences & is a proud recipient of the National Best Restaurant Award and the recognition of DIRONA since 2001. La Habichuela is considered a must in Cancun
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We tripped upon La Habichuela and this is now one of our Mexican favorites. The Apple Martini's are very good and the food was great as well. If you're a refried bean lover, their black bean refried beans are truly heaven sent. I can't wait until we return!!!

Reviewed 8 March 2012

We went to La Habichuela based on the strength of the TripAdvisor reviews. First the good: the restaurant is very attractive and the outdoor garden, where we sat under the twinkling lights, was extremely romantic. Next, I have to say that the staff was lovely. The service was attentive without being over the top. Sad to say, however, the food was...meh. It wasn't bad, it simply wasn't great. My wife thought the sauce on her fish Veracruz totally overwhelmed the filet. I had the shrimp Veracruz, a favorite dish. I was happier with the shrimp and the sauce, but the entree came out stone cold; it had obviously been sitting, waiting to be carried out for some time. Before our main courses, we had a Caesar salad, prepared tableside. Great care was put into the making of the salad, and the dressing was delicious, but the salad was buried under dressing to the point where I had to scrape it off the romaine leaves -- and there was still too much. Wanted to like it better than I did.

1  Thank StephenSelbst
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We visitied La Habichuela while staying at the Omni Resort last week. We did not get the AI package & boy were we glad we didn't as we tried several wonderful restaurants in Cancun.

The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. We ate inside and had a lovely view of the garden area outside. The food was great!!! We shared 2 meals & 2 salads for the 4 of us as the portions were large and then split a dessert (if I remember correctly a coconut custard) and had some delicious coffee. They bring you a white fish pate, plus several different flavors of bread with a garlic butter plus a wonderful palate cleanser that was like a lime sorbet served over a piece of fruit between your meal and the salads.

It was a very nice evening & we would recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank enatashadunn
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Delicious food, great atmosphere, great service !
Love this place...will come back for sure...

1  Thank LuisF3088
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Just a block west and a block south of the Bus Terminal, easy to find. A great dining experience. Had tried to get into Peter's twice and even with 48 hours notice, couldn't get a reso so we were forced to look elsewhere . Well my friends Peter's would need to be freakin' awesome to beat this place. Wow ! We sat in the garden and were treated like a King and Queen. As we sat down they brought over a miniature lounge chair for my wife to put her purse on, how cool is that! Staff were extremely attentive and were very eager to go over the menu with us. Yes they other customers but were not going to leave us until our questions were answered. Excellent selections, very tasty, well presented and outstanding service. I finished the night by leaving a couple of glasses of wine in the bottle because I wanted the flavours that were running around the inside of my mouth NOT to be disturbed. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Robert C