“Made it through the Vacation, won't be back...”
Review of Family Resort

Family Resort
Ranked #72 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My family and I stayed at the Great Parnassus (on the recommendation of our travel agent) from July 3rd through July 7th. To start, a few of the reviews we had read were actually right on the money. For instance, the majority of the hotel including the lobby, elevators - basically anywhere other than your room does not have A/C. Next, the noise level in the evening is tough to deal with especially if you are on the bottom half of the hotel. Luckily, we were able to move to the 11th floor, but still heard slamming doors ect at 3AM.
Next, the food was not of 4* quality by any stretch, but we were able to find things at every meal and restaurant that was decent - well, except the Italian Portiino - I wouldn't bother even stepping foot in that place. The bright spot on the food is the outdoor grill by the main pool - the kids even really loved the chicken tenders/fries and the array of fruity drinks you can get at the neighboring bar.

One of the more important things you should know about this hotel before even contemplating a stay here: are there large student groups attending the week you will be there. It was a freakin nightmare. Apparently, kids from Brazil, Bolivia ect live to go to Cancun for Senior trips and this hotel accepts them, while most do not. We had no idea.
We could have almost dealt with the added noise, the overcrowding/partying at the bars by the pool ect if the people there were not so incredibly rude. My family and I had at least 4-5 instances a day where people walk around or through you either off an elevator, while you are in line for dinner ect. In fact, I honestly don't believe these people are taught the concept of "standing in line" or "waiting your turn" in kindergarten or first grade. And its not an "age" thing either. We had what looked to be a 60 year old lady walk right around us at the Big Ben restaurant to speak to the hostess and make a reservation. We ended up giving the hostess an etiquette lesson on how to handle people like that politely, and she was very gracious and realized how rude it actually was. Now, for the guys who tried to walk though and over my family while they were trying to get off an elevator - they got physically pushed back about 10 feet to their astonishment. But, its a good lesson for them to learn. We laughed a lot about the fact the Americans are supposedly rude and obnoxious ect - ha - that is a joke!

One other good thing, although priced high, was the water sports guys. Bryan and especially Fava were great. He even drove us IN HIS OWN CAR over to Aqua World to ride jet ski's when there was a mis-communication on the timing of our waverunner reservations. Great guy. One last thing - water slides they have for kids were really fun! However, the lifeguard on duty does a decent job, but if you have kids from the same rude culture on the slides, you have to be very careful of your child getting hit at the bottom of the slide by others not waiting their turn or enough time for them to get out of the way.

Again, we survived it, but not exactly a great family vacation by any means. We will keep looking for a better spot...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Leemicha38

Reviewed 6 July 2011

My wife and I vacationed from June 15th to June 21st in Cancun, and aside from 1 rainy day,and 2 somewhat overcast days the weather was great. Our complete experience at the resort was very good, from check-in to check-out. We recieved a room on the 9th floor, on the odd numbered side,(which is quieter than the even side, as you face the Hilton, and it's noisey air-conditioners) which afforded a spectacular view of the ocean, and the sunrise. People have complained about how hard the beds are, but we had no problem with them. The pillows, on the other hand, are a little stiff. One of the reasons we picked this resort is because it is a newer building( built in 2006) and we felt that the air conditioning woud work properly, which it did. We have stayed in Cancun many times before and it seems that the a/c's blow cold, but do not dehumidify. Some of the other resorts we have stayed at, the a/c was either on or off, with no temperarure regulation. The room we had was quite spacious,with 2 beds and a futon and the maid service was top-notch. The main areas of the hotel are not air conditioned, and only the inner areas of the resturants are. The outer areas are situated on the main concourse, which is not air conditioned. The buffet resturant was great for breakfast and lunch, but I didn't think much for their dinner selection. Many mornings, they ran out of coffee cups.(had to use styrofoam take-out cups). The sit down resturants, for dinner were very good. The resturant by the pool made great sandwiches, and cheesesteaks, along with the usual burgers and dogs. The entertainment was far from Broadway, and was geared for the younger set.(6-13). Two of the shows, Elvis and Micheal Jackson, were about the best. The entertainment group was very good and they did provide non-stop entertinment most of the day, whether it was at the pool or by the beach. Overaul we had a great time, and we would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: stay on the odd numbered(north)side, and the higher the floor, the better.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mhirschberg1
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We just got back from a week at this resort yesterday July 2. Let me begin my review with the good parts, the staff was very sincere and hard working, they always gave 100% to make sure that we were satisfied, there are a number of pools that were nice and clean, there were some scheduled activities to entertain adults and the kids, the location of the hotel is a reasonably short ride to local attractions, the rooms are in good shape (though they were not extravagant by any stretch) and the hotel was filled with a lively, young and very international crowd that was remarkably well behaved.

Upon arrival we expected to get connecting rooms (there are none), the best they could do was give us rooms on the same floor. The following day we were able to get adjoining rooms so we had to pack once again and switch rooms. Aside from that inconvenience the main negative was the food which is served at the main restaurant, Magnus. It was boring, repetitive and mediocre. There are several choices for dinnertime; Samurai for Japanese food, Manhattan for Deli style, Big Ben for steaks, Portofino for Italian and a "high end" French restaurant that we never got around to. The best food was at Big Ben, but I wouldn't recommend their NY Strip Steak which we found to be fatty and unappealing. Another family we met had the exact same opinion. My family found the all the food at the various restaurants to be mediocre. Considering the reasonable price package that we paid, $1000/per person including RT air, I guess you could say that we got what we paid for. We got so bored with the food that went next door to dine at the Hilton. The difference in atmosphere was noticeable as soon as we walked in. The Hilton was clearly a much higher quality hotel, the grounds were manicured, the pool area was much nicer and spaced out but it was definitely an older more subdued crowd. Our teens preferred the fun vibe at the Great Parnassus, but wanted to eat the food at the Hilton every night. We ended up going out to dine twice to get some variety. If you want to explore just take the R-1 or the R-1 buses that stop right in front of the hotel, for less than $1 U.S. you can visit any of the numerous eating and party spots on the strip (Kukulcan Blvd).

Warning, when you initially arrive at the airport you'll meet some "officials" that will welcome you to Cancun by offering you a package that will save you money on excursions. The catch to their offer is you have to attend a "welcome celebration" where you can join a vacation club (not a timeshare). I found it dubious, to say the least, that an "official" was trying to push us to attend this weird sounding event, which I was positive would turn into a high pressure full day sellathon with the great deal being contingent on me buying into their "club" (which is not a timeshare). Being the skeptic that I am, I declined the offer, I was told later that it was a scam and I was wise in refusing the deal. Hopefully this information is helpful, good luck and enjoy your stay in Cancun!

Room Tip: There are no connecting rooms, only adjoining.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dfelici1
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I stayed 5 days with my wife. From all-inclusive what actually was included was beverages (alcohol, non-alcohol), food and room-service; not included internet (even in public hotel areas), Spa services, Wine in the formal restaurant, minibar at room. About beverages: not so many options and they tastes pretty the same, you can drink in almost any place with some. About food: several options with some good tastes specially in formal restaurant from the 4 available plus snacks points. About building/room: not luxury but with good touches, it general looks as a refurbished average hotel. Poor part is the bath, under average for an all inclusive with poor maintenance. About beach, pool: 3 small pools in front of sea and a small beach well conserved with chairs and a near bar, the sand/water is clean very nice!

Room Tip: Best room: front ocean with a jet tubbe
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank xocox
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Firstly with this review I don't want to stop or put people off staying in this hotel, these are just my views and opinions.

We stayed here from 12th June - 27th June. 2 couples.

When we checked in I had read on here that the air con unit from the hilton on the right side of the hotel (as you face it from the lobby area) can be noisy, we got a room on right hand side on 6th floor and you could here the unit which was very loud. It was no problem for us to change room but we inquired about a upgrade, it only cost us $350 (£210 )between us for 2 weeks for a deluxe sea view room.
I thought this was well worth it, dressing room and shower room were huge and the balcony was big enough to fit a jacuzzi, table and chairs and 2 sun loungers on it.

The first night we opted for the Manhattan restaurant, from looking at the menu it looked impressive, when the food came out it wasn't so impressed and I am by no means a fussy eater, but the food wasn't even warm and looked like had been thrown on the plate.
The Buffet area is very good, breakfast ranged from cereals, fruit, omelettes, sausages, bacon, fried eggs and a mexican option etc
Lunch and dinner was pretty much the same pasta, pizza, burgers, chicken, stir frys, sushi, deli etc, the restaurant was open from 12.00pm -9.00pm.
Snack bar was good, burgers, chips, fried chicken, baguettes etc. the salsa was yummy but hot!! :)

We went to the Big Ben and the Portofino restaurant as well, to be honest I would avoid these. The starters in the Big Ben were cold and had a hair in them, when asked for fresh starters and warmer it came back just minus the hair!! the steak was edible, but our friend had ribs and he couldn't even cut them!!! Portofino was pretty much the same just re heated food served on a plate

I don't think you can fault the hotel for bar service, location, beach and swimming pool areas and the Entertainment services, the food is the only thing that lets it down i think.

Our maid was very attentive and we were never short of towels or toiletries and always came back to some sort of towel design. even complimentary slippers one day.
Room Service was very good as well.
I think it was a bit of a cheek to ask you to pay for WIFI though, if you are a guest in the hotel it should be free of charge!!

Kristen, Eric and Joaquin were 3 of the entertainment staff who took us out on 3 different nights to different clubs and they were excellent.
Always making sure you have enough drinks, that you were ok and if you needed anything to let them know etc.

Rebecca, a waitress around the pool was excellent, constantly bring us refills of our drinks and looked after us the whole 2 weeks
I cannot recommend Coco Bongos enough, it was BRILLIANT!!!! the shows were fantastic.
The City is a great club to go to just the lack of air con puts slight dampener on it.

We done some sports fishing when we were out there with BIG GAME FISHING.
Cannot praise these guys enough, although i wasn't very well the whole time, they were excellent and knew what they were doing and where to go. We went for 8 hours on a private charter, 4 adults and cost us $200 each. we caught so many fish!!!

The 24hr bus service was fantastic, at only 8 pesos (50p) it was every 5-10 minutes and from the hotel the club area where coco bongos is and other restaurants was 10min ride.
If you want to get out of the hotel for a night I can highly recommend the Argentinian Steak House, right near Coco Bongos, food was delicious and service was excellent. it's not cheap but well worth it.

We went to explore the sister hotel Golden Parnassus, Adults only. (free shuttle bus from hotel) this was a very nice hotel and a little rowdier. the Old Barn steak restaurant there is lovely, but if you get a little cold take a cardie. I welcome the air con in temps of 30degrees, but this place was cold. Our waiter Josie was brilliant, nothing was too much trouble.

We also done the Snorkeling with Whale Sharks, this was amazing. One in a lifetime opportunities. We booked this through out Thomas Cook rep.

We went para sailing with Aqua tours, who have a desk by the pool area, it was $110 (£69.00) for 2 of us, was worth it, for the views that you get and just the jet ski ride to the boat was fun.
I would be careful if booking fishing trips with them. Our friends who were with us, were mis informed after being told they were going for big fish i.e marlin sailfish etc and when they got out there they were catching bait for 3 hours and only had 1 hour left to catch some big fish. Needless to say they came back empty handed.
I would recommend BIG GAME FISHING.

The staff in all the bars were very good.
Don;t expect named brands, instead of malibu it was coconut rum, but practically the same.
For the men the beer is XX, we bought a few beers one night and the barman in the adults only bar out them in a bucket of ice for us right next to our table, which we thought was brilliant.
We did ask the barman in the Kilimanjaro if he could make a cocktail up for us one night to which he replies NO.

I think overall the hotel was very good i felt safe, the cleanliness wasn't an issue and the service was good. The only thing I think they could do with improving is the food in the restaurants. The buffet food was good but if you are offering other restaurants/cuisine in the hotel I think you need to make sure that these are offering a higher quality of food. Especially the Big Ben and Portofino.

I would definitely go back to Cancun but would be inclined to try another hotel.

Room Tip: Try for levels 10 and 11 if on right side of hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple