My family and I stayed at the Great Parnassus (on the recommendation of our travel agent) from July 3rd through July 7th. To start, a few of the reviews we had read were actually right on the money. For instance, the majority of the hotel including the lobby, elevators - basically anywhere other than your room does not have A/C. Next, the noise level in the evening is tough to deal with especially if you are on the bottom half of the hotel. Luckily, we were able to move to the 11th floor, but still heard slamming doors ect at 3AM.
Next, the food was not of 4* quality by any stretch, but we were able to find things at every meal and restaurant that was decent - well, except the Italian Portiino - I wouldn't bother even stepping foot in that place. The bright spot on the food is the outdoor grill by the main pool - the kids even really loved the chicken tenders/fries and the array of fruity drinks you can get at the neighboring bar.
One of the more important things you should know about this hotel before even contemplating a stay here: are there large student groups attending the week you will be there. It was a freakin nightmare. Apparently, kids from Brazil, Bolivia ect live to go to Cancun for Senior trips and this hotel accepts them, while most do not. We had no idea.
We could have almost dealt with the added noise, the overcrowding/partying at the bars by the pool ect if the people there were not so incredibly rude. My family and I had at least 4-5 instances a day where people walk around or through you either off an elevator, while you are in line for dinner ect. In fact, I honestly don't believe these people are taught the concept of "standing in line" or "waiting your turn" in kindergarten or first grade. And its not an "age" thing either. We had what looked to be a 60 year old lady walk right around us at the Big Ben restaurant to speak to the hostess and make a reservation. We ended up giving the hostess an etiquette lesson on how to handle people like that politely, and she was very gracious and realized how rude it actually was. Now, for the guys who tried to walk though and over my family while they were trying to get off an elevator - they got physically pushed back about 10 feet to their astonishment. But, its a good lesson for them to learn. We laughed a lot about the fact the Americans are supposedly rude and obnoxious ect - ha - that is a joke!
One other good thing, although priced high, was the water sports guys. Bryan and especially Fava were great. He even drove us IN HIS OWN CAR over to Aqua World to ride jet ski's when there was a mis-communication on the timing of our waverunner reservations. Great guy. One last thing - water slides they have for kids were really fun! However, the lifeguard on duty does a decent job, but if you have kids from the same rude culture on the slides, you have to be very careful of your child getting hit at the bottom of the slide by others not waiting their turn or enough time for them to get out of the way.
Again, we survived it, but not exactly a great family vacation by any means. We will keep looking for a better spot...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family Resort is located at KM 17 on the Hotel Zone. It is an ideal hotel whether you are vacationing, celebrating or working. Ranging from fun to excitement for the whole family. With areas specialized for baby care, plus a complete children’s water park with a castle, pirate ship and water slides. Teenager club and a complete day and night time activities program. All the upbeat fun imaginable for families; snack bars, coffee and sweets at our creperie. Offering also exclusive areas for adults only. When choosing suites or club rooms for adults only, guests have access to our elite lounge restaurant for breakfast, and in-room special amenities. A variety of 7 different restaurants, 11 bars, 24 hour room service, 4 pools, mini golf plus a variety of different suites to choose from including family suites that fit up to five people. Entertainment at night, with interactive games and shows performed by our entertainers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia and Prestigia so you can book your Family Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Parnassus Hotel Cancun
- Great Parnassus Resort Cancun
- Great Parnassus Resort Spa Cancun
- Parnassus Cancun