“Awful experiance”
Review of Oasis Palm

Oasis Palm
Ranked #76 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Stayed here couple of years ago for a week in November. The hotel was absolutely horrible. This was my first ever stay in Cancun. I usually travel to Riviera Maya/Puerto Vallarta areas every year for winter getaway and this was the most disappointing way to spend my hard earned money. This hotel was booked by a friend of mine who was on a tighter budget than me and now I regret for not taking the time and researching this place.

The rooms:
Horrible!!! They smelled, just like they do in any other hotel in Mexico and after years of traveling to this country I learned to live with the smell, but the worst part was that the windows were closed shut and you could not open them to air the room out. In addition to the smell, people apparently smoked in those rooms and due to lack of ventilation you could literally suffocate inside, and just to prove I am not exaggerating I am a smoker and there was no way I could’ve possible stay in that room for more than 5 min, that’s how bad the smell of smoke was. I ended up paying more to stay in the room with a balcony, that new room was better, still smelled, but at least I could keep the balcony door opened.

The pool:
It was OK, small, nothing special.

Beach:
What beach? There is NO beach! A small strip of sand covered in sea weed. Water (or shall I call it a swamp) - shallow, I’d say about 3 feet deep, if you like to swim (like I do) good luck with that, you can probably crawl in the water scratching the rocky bottom with your stomach. The water was dirty from all the boats passing by and parking in the Marina. And as I just mentioned, very rocky bottom.

Entertainment:
Non existing, karaoke almost every night

Food:
Regular all inclusive, all though the sushi bar on the beach was absolutely amazing, probably the only good thing about this hotel.

All Inclusive:
Yeah…right! There is nothing all inclusive about it. You pay $4/day to use the safe in the room, $5 for each bottle of water you use in your room, we ended up walking to the nearest gas station and stocking up on bottled water, it was a whole a lot cheaper that way. No soda or alcohol in the room either.

This was certainly a big disappointment comparing to what I am used to when traveling to Mexico. I love this country and the people but this hotel is a rip off, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ikolomiyets
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Oasis Palm

Reviewed 4 March 2012

The Good
• Close to downtown and Coco Bongo (party district)
• Walking distance to public transit
• Clean
• Very compact, no distance to walk anywhere and few stairs
• Swim up bar and bar on beach
• Great spa – service and price
• Decent pool
• We were able to get a day transfer to Oasis Cancun which had a WAY nicer, bigger beach with waves and gorgeous sand, better service and better food however it was a huge party the whole time (during Spring break anyway), very loud and you could only stay from 9-6.

The Bad
• Very, very small
• Restaurants were very limited – Breakfast: 2 Buffets, Lunch: same 2 buffets and 2 a la carte, Dinner: same two buffets and same two a la carte but need reservation – which u had to make before 8 am since they only had 90 reservations with 815 rooms! We only ate dinner 2 nights. Both restaurants served only seafood and sushi (very limiting when one of us is allergic to seafood!). One of our biggest disappointments
• Beach – very small and busy, hard and messy sand, not nice to walk or sit on. Also right next to the marina so very noisy and the buoys were so close you couldn’t get more than waist deep. Island of Woman also blocked all the waves.
• No service around the pool except for the swim up bar and no adult pool,
• Rooms – every day we received 2 towels, no facecloths, no bath mat, no hand towel. No fridge and only one bottle of water a day (if you’re lucky)
• There was an “exclusive” area that had all the hammocks, comfy seating, quite pool and clean bar however we weren’t “allowed” in this area, this was consdered the Grand Oasis but they could use all of the Palms facilities. They also had 2 extra restaurants.
• Very uncomfortable seating – wood or hard white plastic chairs, no backs, nothing comfortable especially at night, very old and worn facilities

Over all we were fairly disappointed and definitely wouldn’t recommend this hotel and won’t be going back. Oasis Cancun we would recommend to young single people looking for a party (don’t bring your kids though!!!)

This was our 2nd time to Mexico and it just didnt compare to Grand Palladium Vallarta Resort & Spa that we went to 2 years ago

Room Tip: Book with the Grand Oasis - same resort but nicer rooms and access to exclusive area
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DJDiment
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The pictures on the internet very misleading not as shown on website. There is no swimming pool for adults as the website says. Other people at the resort all said the same this about it be misleading. Phone cards to call out would not even work. This is not a 4 star resort. Front desk staff very unfriendly/ rude and not helpful at all. No customer service skills. People from the Grand Oasis Palm would come over and steal pool chairs early in the morning and would go to all the restaurants. NO one would be over by their pool at all during the day. They even had a waiter serving them drinks by their pool. We had 3 people that had access to our room (the water guy, desert guy and the cleaning staff). The cleaning person we could understand but no need for the other two. Half the time we never had water left in our room. While we were there we heard of 5 rooms that had their safes broken into and one was ripped right out. There was no winelist in the restaurants as it says online. No one participates in any of the activities. When we checked in we asked if there was internet was told yes. For an extra cost. While we were there we were informed by another couple that internet has been down in the resort for 6 months. So why are they mis-informing people then??? The customers are still buying the internet but it's not even working. Another couple had there room flooded on the 2nd floor while we were there. Both there suitcases were damaged with water. I would NOT recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lindsay W
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Overall experience was horrible. Check in took over an hour for four people. No organization. Rooms were disgusting, never cleaned until at least 5pm. No fridge, no alarm clock, no coffee pot.. Public bathrooms by the buffets were backed up all the time. No nightly entertainment. Do not be fooled by the '4 star' rating. Would be hard to give it a three.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Mermm
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just got back from Oasis Palm yesterday and it certainly was a new experience. It was my first visit to Cancun and thankfully the weather was incredible, which definately helped the experience.

Regarding the resort, I realized that it's more about what a person is looking for that really depends on whether a resort is horrible or amazing. First and foremost, Oasis Palm was very clean, which is important to me (and probably to everyone else), from the hallways to the resturants to the beach (relatively). I walked down the beach and other resorts had messier beaches filled with litter (shameful). For instance, if you get a chance to go to Oasis Cancun, the sister resort to Oasis Palm, for the day, prepare yourself for a disgusting amount of cups, used wrappers, and rocks on the beach...ugh.

Back to Oasis Palm, I was upgraded to the Grand Oasis Palm rooms but only had access to the Oasis Palm facilities. Bottome Line: there were two resturants off limits plus a section of the beach with incredible beds and hammocks. I did wish I was a part of that side of the resort considering the plastic chairs on the beach and by the pool are HORRIBLE. If you can wake up early enough to get a blue chair, I say go for it because the plastic ones were just awful.

On saving chairs, I found that it wasn't hard to find a seat on the beach or pool if you wer early enough and you could leave your towels and magazines to "claim" your area without it being taken or stolen (which happend to me at another resort), which was a nice change.

The beach is ver beautiful with calm waters and you can walk for it seems ever with the level being no more than 3 feet or so. Personally, I would have wished for waves, but you can walk to another beach and experience waves there. It was relaxing just wading in the clear blue waters by the beach for hours.

The Grand Oasis Palm rooms are beautiful with vented bathrooms and open space. Pillows were too hard for me, but that is a preference.

Food was good. Didn't try any of the a-la-carte resturants but the buffets were pretty good. One resturant has very attentive staff who will run to get you drinks and ensure you are doing well while the other has staff that barely acknowledge you other than to remove your plates. Again, whether this is good or bad is a preference since sometimes it was nice just to go, get your food and then leave without being hassled whereas sometimes getting that extra service made the evening.

Staff generally were very kind and helpful, although there are certianly some staff who are very openly standoffish, for example the staff at the giftshop (becareful: no prices on the items means the price changes).

One disappointing aspect was that there was no show every night, which I am used to attending. There was only a show 4 out of the 7 days that I was there. There is a band that plays music by the resturants during the night and tho they are good, I would have liked a usual show at night. Also, although the karaoke night wasn't my style, the circus show was absolutely BREATHTAKING. Please take it in if you get the chance!

Overall, a decent hotel. Biggest bonus is that you can visit Oasis Cancun for a change of pace and beach, but Oasis Palm is definately a place for relaxing and taking it easy.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the disco are incredibly noisy and the glass isn't that thick to insulate the noise...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mariposamg2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
4.2 km away
9.9 km away
GR Solaris Cancun
GR Solaris Cancun
#33 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Oasis Palm? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK