GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #36 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is a very nice property. Six adults stayed here 13-17 April. Very clean smaller property with great staff. Liked the option of the swim up bar and activities pool and a smaller adult only pool for reading or taking a short snooze. Food was very good with a nice variety. We ate at the show two nights - the seafood buffet the night of the Magic Show was out of this world. And the Mexican Buffet for the Mexican Show was great too. Entertainment those 2 nights was impressive. Can't think of any negatives except for the rough texture of the pool interiors - very hard on your feet and will definitely snag any suit your are wearing. But if that's the biggest of our problems......we have no worries. Special thanks to these staff members - Vociferro (?), Rony, Luna and Betty (be sure to get the hot tea with liquor in the lobby in the late afternoon!). Also, who couldn't love Anna (Ruskie!)??? - great personality and fun person!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TypeAGal

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I had a reservation paid and confirmed with travel agent. When I arrive at the front desk with my family and present my voucher, they say that the travel agent had not paid for the hotel (which turn up to be false) and that my reservation was canceled. The women who attend me was Katia Vargas, claiming she was head of front desk, a very umpleaseant and rude women.

I told her that Solaris had a long term relationship with the travel agent, so there should be not problem to give me a room and charge them on monday. No way, she said, we have no room for you as i has not been previously paid.

Because, I had travel to the hotel, and was not willing to loose the trip of 4 persons to cancun, I propose to pay them directly what the travel agent owe them, and she refuse, and request payment of the full rate which was 30 % higher that what I had pay. I explain and prove her that I had paid much less and ask her to charge me no more than that. No, you pay full rate or you get no room. I ask to speak to the person in charge of reservation to confirm that my travel agent have efectively not paid for the room (i have made 32 travel with them in 7 years and never had a problem). Her answer : NO. I ask to speak with the manager : Answer : No, she told me she was the boss and i can only speak with her, pay the full rate or get no room. I told I will never go back to this hotel group, and complain in internet, She did not care. I told her it was abusive to charge me full price when i have no option to pay or loose the travel of 4 persons to cancun, she did not care either.

I have never been treat so badly in a 5 star hotel. Since i had travel to cancun, i have no choice but pay full price or lose the cost of travel. In fact we were so upset that we did not enjoy the stay.

Then much later, after i request twice to get a letter saying that travel agent had not pay for the reservation, Front desk told me that they had speak to them (which was a lie, as they were closed for the weekend), and that i will get a refund . Then when i ask to one of the cleck, how they have speak with the travel agent if their office was close for the week end, I was told that it has been an error and that payment have been done several days ago.

So all the trouble and bad treament because of the hotel error. Of course no excuse, and no compensation for the time lost and the fact that we were so upset that we did not enjoy the day. Also imagine that i did not had enough money to pay a second time for the room, or was not willing to pay for abusive charge rate, I would have to return home and loose the travel cost of 4 persons to cancun ??? This is really unbelievable

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Thierry D
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

We regret for the situation you had during your check in at the hotel, we understand your displeasure in this regard; actually in our system we had not registered the payment of your stay, so that the Front Desk Manager proceeded to consult to the accounting department about your reservation payment ; since we have established policies for these cases that are unusual; there was no payment of the reservation.

Regarding payment you mentioned you did in the Hotel , the front desk department has informed us that this was reimbursed to your credit card, as you mention the hotel has a time relationship with this agency , however, let us inform you that to date we have not received the payment from the agency .

We offer an apology for the situation, we regret you felt offended because at no time was the intention of our employees.

We hope that in a future you can give us another opportunity ; we know that in one night's stay is very difficult to know our standars of service.

Please accept our apologies for this situation,

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My girlfriend and I have just returned from three days at GR Solaris and it was the worst experience of our lives. We feel we were the victims of legitimate fraud.

It was our first time in Cancun, or at an "all-inclusive" resort. Within 10 minutes of our arrival we were being pressured to upgrade everything imaginable from our original package. When we declined, they offered us a free room upgrade to an oceanside view if we agreed to go on a "tour" of the property the following morning. Against our better judgement, we agreed to this.

When we showed for the tour hotel employees told us we needed to show that our wallets contained a major credit card because Visa and Mastercard were the "sponsors" of the tour. This, of course, made little sense to us but we complied. The tour was nothing more than a high-pressure sales pitch to buy a $17,000 membership in the resort. You needed a credit card so that you could make a $5000 downpayment immediately. When we declined, the hotel employees became very angry and asked us to complete paperwork explaining exactly why we did not want to join.

Here's the best part. When we attempted to check out of the resort two days later we were told to pay $90 for the room upgrade. When I protested that the upgrade was supposed to be free, the front desk stated that they had no record of this and that the employees who had given us our "tour" weren't available. When we refused to pay for the upgrade, the manager told us that we would be PHYSICALLY PREVENTED FROM LEAVING THE HOTEL until the bill was paid. Refusing to believe this, I hailed a cab for the airport and six hotel employees physically barred the taxi from driving away. It was not until I threatened physical violence (not my usual behavior) that we were allowed to leave.

Incidentally, the resort was also dirty and the food was disgusting. I'll spare those details for the moment, but do your self ad your loved ones a huge favor - do not ever stay at this resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Stephen S
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

We deeply regret your comments, we recognize that it was a miscommunication between employees , we really sorry for this situation, we have reported to management of the areas involved and General Manager of the Hotel, who already have taken correctives actions.
We can assure you our guests are the most important people for us.

Thank you for your comments that help us to improve every day,

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great service, excellent location, awesome food and people to meet from around the world, clean and comfortable rooms with minibar and teddy towels, AND timeshare sales people, the guy woke us up at 9:00 am day 1 our solution?: we took the phone off the hook. If you want to have a great time stay away from the lobby from 9 to 5

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the upgrade, about $40 more per night
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

None of our party would ever consider staying here again.
It started out with our reserved rooms not being available. Four of us did have the correct rooms (ocean front with jacuzzi etc) but the other two did not. We discussed this at length with the front desk and after about 1/2 hour promises were made that the correct room would be available the next morning.
When the next morning came they were moved to a different room. Which was also the wrong type. At this point we decided just to let it go and try to enjoy ourselves. The next day we went on a tour to Chichen Itza (arranged through the in house tour agency) We did enjoy the tour but our bus had a flat on the way back to the resort. Unfortunately we had reservations for Marco Polo that night. We immediately went to the front desk to tell them and ask if they could move our reservation back a bit (reservations were for 5:30, we arrived at 5:26 and still needed to change) they clerk at the front desk replied it wasn't her problem and she could do nothing.
Yes, that was at the front desk. We began to see a trend here.
Luckily the receptionist at the restaurant was more helpful and our reservations were moved back 15 minutes so we did make it. More about the Marco Polo's later.
A few days later we went to see the "Mexicana Show" at the theatre. At one point they asked for volunteers from the audience for one the typical contests. Four men and four women. As it started each contestant came up to the MC and introduced themselves. The MC had the ladies spin around and the DJ played a *wolf whistle* sound effect for them....except for one. This was a very nice attractive girl who at the most was 10lbs over weight in her 20's. When she turned around the DJ played a *braying donkey* sound. The poor girls jaw hit the floor. She walked back to her place in line and the DJ played another insulting sound effect. The poor girl exited the stage and left in tears. MANY patrons also got up and headed out.
We immediately went to the theatre reception desk where we joined the already angry mob looking for a manager. Finally they summoned up one of the entertainment directors (Jennifer from Vancouver, the ONLY management level person there that I have any respect for) She was aghast at what happened. They interrupted the show so the MC could make an apology.
I cannot describe with words here the utter contempt I hold for that person. He did not apologize at all, he blamed her for taking things to seriously and told her she needed to lighten up. He once again used her to try to get some laughs. In a nutshell, this... "person" apparently thinks humiliating young women is an acceptable way to get some laughs at his show. This event alone was enough to keep us from ever showing up there again.
Other incidents;
They conveniently forgot to honor our $90 resort credit until we pulled out our copy of the reservations. Thank goodness we did carry our copies.
Many times we witnessed preferential treatment given to spanish speaking patrons over english speaking patrons. I.E. Waiting to speak to the front desk AGAIN and a spanish speaking man and his son just walked over and cut us off. A respectable clerk would have asked them to please wait but not this one. Instead she helped them out and even had a nice chat with them after before they left and helping us gringos. They were many other similar incidents that happened on a daily basis.
Now about that *Premier restaurant Marco Polo*. Seriously the food was not that great. It was good but not great. The waiters were not acceptable but nowhere near what the reputation would suggest. The waiter was more interested in getting the diners to throw back (unrequested) shots of tequila than doing a good job of waiting. Maybe their philosophy is "A drunk guest gives better tips"?
Before it looks like I am here just to trash the place I will have to say the grounds were very nice and amazingly everything worked! (Very rare at a mexican resort), the mini fridge was kept well stocked too. I would give the rooms a 7 out of 10 for size and amenities.
If you want a resort to look good and be seen at this place is for you. If you want to relax and enjoy life and be treated well this is not the place at all. Facilities were very good however any time you have to deal with the staff you run a very high risk of being treated very poorly.

Room Tip: Even the best rooms there are small. If you get an ocean front on the first floor be aware that the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gary M
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

On behalf of GR Solaris Cancun, we would like to apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while vacationing with us. We'd also like to thank you for all of your feedback, as our guests' thoughts and impressions are our number one priority while on vacation. We will be sure to pass along your concerns to our General Manager.

Once again thank you for your comments that help us to improve our service

HOTELES SOLARIS DE MEXICO