“Good stay overall, but would not return.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
New Paltz, NY
“Good stay overall, but would not return.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

As to be expected from an all inclusive hotel, the food was predictable and mediocre, and the drinks were watered down and weak. The hotel is very nice and in a good location. We requested to get rooms next to our friends who we travelled with but were denied and our friends ended up with a better room then we did(we booked them together). Our room was nice and spacious with a nice view of the sea.
The hot tubes are not really hot and several of them were broken when we were there. The "pool party" staff were frankly kind of annoying and gave off that bad wedding entertainer vibe. It seemed as if they were gearing the activities towards 70 year olds, when most people on the pool deck were in the 20-40's range. The beach was beautiful and you have access to other nearby rius which was nice to go out and explore.

Room Tip: Seaview room on the water, not with view of pool and grounds.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sebo996
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from this resort and we want to go back as soon as possible. This resort has it all. The food was great, rooms are very nice, and the staff are the best part. At the reception there is a guy named Israel who is an amazing guy, very knowledgeable and he gos above and beyond to make your stay perfect. Also there is Daniel who works in the late night restaurant who also makes your stay very pleasant. The event staff are great hosts and never let you get bored. This resort is very beautiful and is a must to visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gurvinder D
nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

i use trip advisor everytime i book my trips and I never write reviews, but because I rely on trip advisor so much when i go away, I felt like this was a must...
I stood at the Riu Palace from July 5th -9th. I have to say that when i was on my way to mexico, I was hesitiant because I was hearing all these negative things on trip advisor after we had booked the RIU. But i have to say my experience was amazing. Upon arriving at the RIU, We were greeted with drinks upon checking in. (they were non-alchoholic). We were checked in within minutes. Then we were told from other reviews from trip advisor to make reservations on the day we get there for the restaurants. Alot of them get booked very quick! We did have the opportunity to try thr Steak, Japanese and Mexican restaurant. Out of all three, The Japanese was the BEST! esp their Main course. The only complaint about it would be the sushi. Its no where close to normal sushi of which i have eaten in NY. The steak place was good as well and the mexican. The buffet was good in the morning. However for lunch and dinner it was just OK. For lunch they have this italian place in the resort. it was delish. they serve lunch from 12-3.30. We ate there every day! Hope this helps!!!

Room Tip: Eat at the italian place from 12-3.30 everyday for lunch! ask for fernando (fortunato) for the ser...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank daniela l
glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I Stayed for two weeks at the Las Americas with my partner & seven friends. We are all in our late 20's. Overall we had a great holiday while we were there, although I wouldn't return to this hotel or even Cancun if I were to return to Mexico in the future.
I like more of a Caribbean feel to my holiday & I didn't think this particular hotel had that. It felt very Americanized.
The rooms were ok! Food was good! Beach was gorgeous but was on a cove & felt sort of Man Made ( if you know what I mean) In the afternoon the sun would go behind the building and most of the beach would be shaded.
The wine was horrible, except the Gourmet restaurant. We noted the name of the wine we had in there and asked for it throughout the resort but the staff acted like they didn't know what we were talking about.
The hotel overall lacked atmosphere, especially in the evenings. The evening shows were bad!
The speciality restaurants were all really good although we found it difficult to get reservations unless we were standing in the line from 8 am.
Everyone has different expectations from their holiday. Some of my friends really liked this hotel! Being from Scotland, we travelled a long way there & I expected to feel like I was in the Caribbean & I just felt this resort very much lacked the local flare.

Room Tip: One of my friends had a room with a wrap round balcony. The views were amazing!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank GlasgowGal86
Saint Joseph, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

After spending four nights at the Riu Palace las Americas, I would highly recommend it! We had a corner room on the fifth floor with a wrap-around balcony overlooking the ocean as well as the resort pools. We were able to wake to a spectacular ocean view and have breakfast on the balcony in the mornings. The restaurants had a wide variety of foods to try, and the service was wonderful. We spent most of our time on the beach where drinks were delivered and the staff was friendly and accommodating.

I would suggest taking one dollar bills or tips as, even though the drinks and food are included, it is obvious that the staff takes much pride in their work and deserve to be tipped. They are constantly cleaning, helping guests with their needs, bringing drinks to those in the pools and on the beach, and otherwise just serving their guests. They are all very friendly and helpful and genuinely want to please the guests.

Because the resort is located at the tip of the peninsula, it is in a perfect place to walk to places to shop although there are vendors on the beach and who set up in the resort every few nights so there is little need to leave the resort. We were also told that the clubs are within walking distance, but we were content to stay within the resort for entertainment. There is another Riu resort located next door, and guests are able to use all four Riu resorts in Cancun, which is nice if you want to try another restaurant besides the four located within the Riu Palace las Americas.

The only negative about the resort would be that when there are several people using the elevators at the same time, it takes quite a while to change floors because there are only two elevators that are relatively small to accommodate each side of the resort. That was very minimal in comparison to the rest if the stay.

Overall, the stay was first-rate, and the resort is both beautiful and the accommodations wonderful. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: The upper floors on the ends are wonderful as you get a wrap-around balcony and a spectacular view.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple