“A mostly great experience with only a few small drawbacks” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“A mostly great experience with only a few small drawbacks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

My wife and I left the kids at home for our trip to the Riu Palace Las Americas in the latter half of April this year. We arrived late, and check-in was very prompt. We were upgraded to an oceanfront room on the 8th floor. It did not have balcony (none of the 8th-floor rooms do, I don’t think), but that didn’t really bother my wife or I.

I signed off on a card saying they’d charge me $50 if I lost my in-room safe key, but the front desk guy never gave me the key (I assumed it was already in the safe in our room). When we got up there, I discovered that the safe key wasn’t there, so the next morning I apprehensively went down to the front desk to ask about the key. I guess I thought there might be some problem, as I wouldn’t be able to prove that they hadn’t given me a key upon check in. There was no problem at all: they apologized when I explained the situation and immediately gave me a key.

I felt a lot better about the hotel after that, and I continued to feel good about our decision to book the Riu Palace.

Pros

I found the food, particularly the a la carte restaurants, to be much better than I’d anticipated. I’m not a picky eater (I like all kinds of food), but what I don’t like is crappy buffet food, and for the most part I didn’t find that here. There was an abundance of protein in their buffet: beef, chicken, fish, shrimp. There was also a lot of cooked vegetables and fresh fruit. I’m a healthy eater, and I had no complaints at all, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

The service was really impeccable—the waiter and waitresses were genuinely friendly.

One night they had live music at the steak house restaurant, which was nice.

The mixed drinks were very good.

The entire hotel seemed really, really clean.

Cons

Despite signs saying that you can’t save seats with towels, the towel game is in full effect, particularly around the pools. But luckily, the Riu Cancun is next door, and they have a huge nice beach with umbrellas. My wife and I spent a good amount of time over there.

The hotel experienced a building-wide (or at least that’s what the front desk told us) cold water failure for about 24 hours while we were there. I found it to be kind of frustrating for the first couple of hours, until the front desk said that, if I wished, they’d send a maid up to my room with a bucket of water that we could pour in the toilet tank so that we could flush. It actually hadn’t occurred to me that I could do that myself (with one of the unused trash cans in the room) by filling it with hot water from the shower. Anyway, I assume these things happen from time to time in countries like Mexico, and when I finally figured out that I could take care of the problem myself (duh), I did so. But it was awfully nice that they would’ve sent some poor maid up to the 8th floor with a 30-pound bucket of water if I had wanted. That’s service.

Having to wait in line in the morning to reserve the a la carte restaurants (although they were good). There has to be a better way to do that.

Like others have said, the beds were a little hard.

The walls were surprisingly thin, which is only a problem if you have extremely noisy neighbors (like we had one night).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Lbeebo9
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012 via mobile

Very nice place to stay. Service was great, they upgraded us to an ocean front for our anniversary. The food was wonderful. I don't see where anyone could complain. The Japanese was our favorite but the buffet had so many options it wasn't a problem to eat there. The pools were beautiful as well as the grounds. The entertainment staff rocked and really made for some fun times. I definately recommend the Riu Palace Las Americas.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank mountainchick
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We had an enjoyable holiday. We liked the fact that there were a number of restaurants at the hotel to choose from and we didn't have to have buffet every night.
Only negative was the very hard pillows and no other choices of pillow available.
The power boat trip was brilliant!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carol D
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We were a group of 20+ and stayed from April 12-April 19 for our Mexican Wedding Adventure. Below is my review although I think I can speak for our entire group, everything was excellent, long review here :)

MUSTY SMELL

We were all on the 7th floor and I did not smell anything out of the ordinary for a warm climate close to the ocean. I think people get a little carried away with this, there is not a musty smell issue at this resort

CHECK IN

As the bride/groom we checked in first. Our experience was positive. The gentleman who checked us in was really nice and accommodating. This being said the resort is very busy this time of year and although we were upgraded to a suite, we did not have a choice of the location within the resort. I tipped the gentleman at the desk (a nice large tip) for him to take care of our guests but because of the availability, some rooms our guests received were not ocean view. However, if requested, our guests were upgraded over the next few days as rooms became available. If you have a larger group, give the front desk a few dollars and there is a better chance you will get what you want.

WEDDING

Our wedding was fantastic, but I think that’s because I’m the luckiest guy in the world to marry such an incredible woman :)
The wedding ceremony was very nice, the weather was perfect and all the people watching from their balconies made the atmosphere very nice.

Out of all the things that could potentially go wrong (especially the weather) everything ended up going perfectly (almost). There were a number of things that were not done correctly but we didn’t let this bother us and just enjoyed the day. If you are getting married here, I would recommend you stay very close to your wedding planner. We spent just 30 minutes with our wedding planner before the ceremony that was provided to us by the RIU and I think we could have been a little more demanding about everything so the attention to detail would have been better. They were about to say the wrong name during the ceremony before I noticed it on their sheet of paper, they gave us the wrong ceremony ( which left us standing up there for more than 20 minutes), we paid extra for rose petals to be laid on the walkway of the gazebo and they forgot them, they almost overcharged us 800 dollars (my wife paid and I reviewed the bill and happened to notice they overcharged us- lucky I checked), they were supposed to hang the followers that were hung on the pillars during our ceremony on our balcony and forgot, and they rushed us out of the restaurant as soon as the 1.5 hour limit was up. These are just things to be aware of if you plan your wedding here, for us, I’m glad we didn’t get worked up over it (we didn’t bother complaining to the wedding planner or to the RIU afterwards) and because of this we were able to enjoy the day and so were our guests. I would also recommend a 6:00pm wedding ceremony time, the temperature was perfect and for most of our pictures we were able to get them while the sun was setting.

SERVICE

Compared to most resorts the service was excellent. Drinks were flowing, the service at the a la carte’s were excellent and same at the buffet’s. We tipped well but felt this did not impact our level of service. The waiter at the Japanese restaurant was excellent, he had the biggest smile ever, and you can’t miss him (he makes up for the other two grumpy waiters). We ate here twice. To be fair to TA readers the service was great but was not exceptional. I say the service was excellent because it was very good compared to other resorts but compared to RIU Palace in Los Cabos, the service was not as good (at the RIU Palace Cabos waiters remembered you and sat you in there sections, knew you by name and gave that personal touch, at RPLA they did not). No big deal, just once the bar has been set really high, it makes it difficult to receive that level of service again.

FOOD

As I touched on before the food here is very good. The A la carte food is exceptional. Krystal and Sakura are a must. The others we did not try. The buffets were very good, something for everyone. We did notice that during the day they were in transition a lot and it was hard to get the timing right so that the main buffet room was open at the same time as the outside grill table of food. Also the buffets were not as good here as the RIU Palace in Los Cabos either. Definitely the buffets are above average and much better than any buffets you’ll find in most other resorts in Cancun as well as Dominican or Cuba. The room service was phenomenal. Most of our group got this at all hours in the morning. It was delivered every time within 30 minutes or less. The food was always made really well and they always answered our call (at some resorts unless you call back 10x they won’t answer).

DRINKS

For me, this was where the RPLA stood out. The quality of the drinks was excellent and the wait staff was also incredible. We often had a table of 25 people and the drinks came promptly and no matter what we ordered it came with a smile (espresso’s, groups of 20 shots, champagne, bottled beer, mixed drinks and so on). Also the service at the pool bars was very good as well. We found the alcohol levels in the mixed drinks to be very good. We always got top shelf when we requested it. One thing to be aware of is that the bars here CLOSE AT 1:00AM so if you are looking for a late night, you need to go into town to stay up after 1:00am or go back to your rooms. We were all a little surprised that we couldn’t get a drink from the bar after 1:00am.

PEOPLE

The people staying at the resort were all really nice. Our group met some nice people from the US and UK. They were all really warm to my now wife and I and often said congratulations to us when we walked by. The people staying at this resort all seemed to be enjoying themselves and the feel of the resort was always positive, I have been to some resorts and people just don’t look happy at all, this was not the case here at all. The only negative talk we came across was when people were going home because they all wanted to stay longer!

ROOMS

We were upgraded to a suite, our room was very nice and so was our guests who had a standard room. The suites are just larger but there is no Jacuzzi tub or anything, I probably wouldn’t pay extra money to upgrade. I would ask for a 6th floor room (the 7th has a pillar balcony and you cannot see the ocean if you are sitting down) and do your best to get an ocean front room (not ocean view) as these rooms are the best in the hotel. Some of our guests did say the beds were hard, I felt they were fine but I think you can ask for a bed topper if you find the beds hard.

ACTIVITIES

The nightly entertainment here was not good. The talent level of the shows was poor and no one really seemed interested in the shows at night. We went next door a few times and the entertainment there was much better, more lively and interactive (although there are WAAAY more kids here). The nightclub at the RIU Cancun closes at 2:00am I believe so something to think of as well. We found ourselves leaving to go to the clubs downtown at 2:30a -3:00am.How busy the clubs were downtown depended on the night, one night it was dead, another there was still a line up to get in at 6:00am when we were leaving . The location of this resort for those who like to wander off the resort can’t be better, it is excellent, literally a 5 minute walk from town and all the shops.

The day time activities at the resort were fantastic, they played recent US top 40 music by the pool bar and the activities like the surfing contest, volleyball ect were very good. One day we had a pool volleyball game going with 25 people, it was great.

OVERALL

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. It is great value for your money. The staff, food, service, wedding, rooms and day activities were all very great. For the extra few dollars to stay at the Palace over the RIU Cancun it is definitely worth it. Premium drinks, the restaurants are way better and the ambiance is great. The people who write negative reviews are most likely the people who always complain about everything and couldn’t have a good time anywhere they went to. This place is excellent and as long as you don’t go away with the notion that a damp smell in a tropical place is a horrible thing, you are sure to have an excellent vacation.

Room Tip: Tips- get a room ocean front room, massages at the resort are amazing best i have ever had, try the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank Nialllynn
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed here in April 2012 - I was nervous given that we were traveling with 2 young kids. This review is geared towards families with young kids and I have tried to provide information that is helpful for them and which I could not glean from previous reviews. First of all, arriving at the hotel was a breeze. We booked ahead of time with Cancun Valet and were met with a van containing 2 car seats - $65 roundtrip and well worth it.

The ROOM: We stayed in a junior suite which was very roomy. We had them place a crib in the room - the crib was more than adequate with a firm mattress which they wrapped a standard bedsheet around (bring your own sheet if you are worried about a tight fit). I will mention that it did have a dropside just in case that bothers some families. The bathroom was roomy and clean. The bathtub had a detachable showerhead which was very handy when bathing the kids. The air conditioning was fine. The room did feel damp, but that happens at any beachside locale. I did not note this until the last day but there is a drying rack on the balcony so you can hang clothes, etc. As for the smell that many people mention, my husband noticed it the first couple of days but then acclimated.

FOOD: We ate at the buffet for most of our meals. It was excellent with wonderful selection. There were the usual kid foods (pizza, fries) at lunch and dinner but there was a lot of fresh fruit, yogurt, vegetables. The desserts were great. They provide clean high chairs and the dining area is very kid friendly.

POOLS: There is a very small kids' pool which was generally unused. The pool on the upper deck had many pool beds but offered very little shade. The lower pool was the one with the music, entertainment staff, and swim up bar. There is shade from umbrellas and trees. It is wise to get up before 9 am to get your chairs. The water seemed very cold to us on the first couple of days, but seemed OK afterward - not sure if we acclimated or the temperature had changed. Bring your own floaties for the kids.

There is a mini-disco for the kids at 8:30 each night - they really enjoyed this.

There are stores across the street from the hotel which sell diapers, wipes, toothpaste, etc if you need it. In addition, the bus to WalMart stops in front of the next door RIU Cancun. I was nervous about bringing enough diapers, etc, but this was unnecessary as I could have purchased there. It is more expensive but sometimes convenience prevails. If you are traveling with young kids, I will say that I found it helpful to bring my own antibacterial wipes, pump soap, hand sanitizer, floaties, and sunscreen. I brought insect repellant but did not need to use it. The floors in the hotel lobby and room can be slippery when wet so just be careful. The hotel layout was very convenient, and it was very easy to return to the room to use the restroom or collect belongings.

Returning to the airport was a breeze - Cancun Valet was waiting in our lobby. The airport checkin process was easy. Don't forget the weight limit is 50 lbs per bag. We were overweight on our flight over to Mexico but quickly remedied this by taking out some packing cubes from our suitcase (by the way, if you have not checked out the packing cubes from Ebags, I would suggest that you do - they make it so easy to organize your suitcases). Our departure tax was included in our airfare but I think some people had to pay this at the airport.

Overall, I would gladly return to the RIU Palace Las Americas. I give it a 4 for rating only because I would prefer a few more luxury options from a 4 star resort - for example, at least one heated pool. However, this may be more of an issue with my expectations rather than the hotel. I am sure there are nicer options in Cancun, but we had a great time and found this hotel very accomodating to our needs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family