“Amazing time - sad to leave”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #31 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“Amazing time - sad to leave”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

The Riu Cancun was a fantastic hotel we just returned last week. The food was excellent there was always a different choice each niight and definately something for everyone. We ate at the steak house one night, it was ok - jacket potatoe and a steak I much preffered the buffet though because steak is not really my thing. The restuarant staff were amazing- couldnt do enough for you. The best part about the hotel was the entertainment team, they made the holiday for us. Millie, Joey and Erik were so friendly and always wanted you to get involved with every activity. Also as we are a couple in our 20's we wanted to go out. We went on the bar crawl with Thompson which was 55 pound each.. it wasnt the best the only good thing about it was Coco Bongo which was amazing and if you are going to Cancun you must go! The entertainment team wil take you out every night at 11 oclock from the lobby and we had much better nights with them, prices depended on which club you went to and you always had a vip table with all you can drink. The hotel itself was lovely and clean and as we went in spring break nice and lively! The views from the room were spectacular and the beach is beautiful. I would definately go back to Riu Cancun it was the best holiday ever!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ohsojodiex
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,370)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
lancashire england
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I have just returned from RIU cancun and can agree with a lot of reviews i have read,Food amzing selection with presentation 1st class,this was our 1st for all inclusive and will definately do it again,unfortunately my husband took ill and as always when things go wrong it was early hours in the morning we where on the 12th floor and i rang reception to get help no answer the strees was imense i daren.t leave my husband so had to take him in lift to reception i asked why phone was not answered DON'T NO was the answer i got.I asked if they could call a doctor as the hotel has one on 24hours i was told they couldn't get through no alternative for help until gentleman on security offered to get a taxi to take my husand to hospital thankfully it wasn't as serious as 1st thought but we cut short our holiday for my him to recover at home,this really let down the staff at riu as everyonr else where amazing,We booked with thompson and their reps Claire & Nor(Danny) could not of done anymore for us! be warned it must be one of the worst places to take ill!! LIfts where regularly getting stuck not only when full but also with only two people in they were like ovens.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jacqueline545
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Me and my partner have just returned from a 2 week holiday in the RIU Cancun. After reading some of the reviews on here, it made me a little worried but i can reassure everyone there is nothing wrong with this hotel! Some of the comments are so picky.. we dont go on holiday to sit in the room all day and watch tv!
We got down to the pool about 8am every day and had no problem what so ever with getting a sunbed in a decent spot! Best spot for the sun is the bottem pool by the steak house on the side closest to the beach, otherwise the sun goes in around 3ish. Or the beach is sunny all day!
The staff are so friendly and they would do anything for you, working all hours of the day for little money, bringing drinks to you on the beach and on your sunbeds.. What more can you want!
The Buffet was nice, plenty to choose from but it did get a bit boring by the end of the second week! The restaurants in the hotel are lovely, we only ate in the Brazilian and Steak House, we dont eat sushi so gave the Japanese a miss.
Lifts were slightly hot but didnt take too long to go up and down. (we were on floor 10 - AMAZING VIEWS!)
As for the hard bed comments, they have either taken notice and replaced the matresses or we just got lucky - they were absolutely fine! very comfortable!
Our room was cleaned every single day, with fresh towels, the maids work very hard! The mini bar and fridge was restocked every other day which was perfect for the pair of us.
The entertainment in the daytime was good, we didnt join in but was fun to watch. The evening entertainment was too cheesy for us but after a few drinks was happy to have it going on in the background.
Location was perfect, right near the main strip - with a few Clubs, Bars and Resturants. I was a bit dissapointed with the lack of Mexican Resturants though!
Overall we had an amazing two weeks at this hotel and we would definatly return again! Please dont let the bad reviews put you off!

Room Tip: Higher floor the better, views are amazing!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank B89G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I am under no illusions that the adage 'You get what you pay for' is 100% true. However, when spending £5600 on a party of 4, there should surely be enough cash in the whip to expect a decent standard.

The hotel is a grand one, the ground are very well kept and the communal areas very clean and tidy. The staff are indeed pleasant when you are happy. When challenged with a problem the attitude quickly changes to nonchalant and uninterested. I was very disappointed to be confronted with shoulder-shrugs by both the front counter staff and the customer service manager after I returned from a trip to Hospital with a parasitic stomach bug, caused by the dodgy food at the Hotel. Clearly an important problem for the hotel to know about.

The food and drink are completely sub-standard. The Mexican food is absolutely tasteless, clearly reheated for breakfast, lunch and dinner (and is where I caught the parasite). Other fresh meats and vegetables are so salty that they are clearly salt-bathed to increase the size and shelf life. Needless to say, all of the food was horrible. Even at breakfast time, budget cheese was used for omelettes and the cooked breakfast counter was last nights left overs. The speciality restaurants were also very poor quality food. Also heavily salted. The steak restaurant provided steak so salty and moist it didn't even look or taste like steak, it was of course very tender however. Most drinks are disgusting. Soda machines are dotted around, but contain gasless, tasteless liquid of different colours. Didn't taste one normal pepsi or 7-up in 2 weeks from the hotel, aside from the bottled drinks in the room-fridge. Alcohol was the same, all watered down and gasless. Cocktails were O.k, but not if you like them taste nice. Either tasted of the generic goo that came from the machines, or of petrol. My tip, find a barman that serves decent drinks and stick with him. Treat him well and he will treat you well. And accept that you're not going to get a good orange juice or coffee until you get home!

So, I ended up in Hospital after 2 days of intolerable stomach cramps every 20 minutes. After being pumped full of anti-parasite and antibiotic I returned to the hotel to tell them about my $1000 trip. They were completely uninterested and prepared with the stock-line - "When it's a parasite from the hotel, we have lots of people complaining." Well done Sherlock, why don't they put you in charge of the drug-trafficking problem in Mexico. I explained very rationally, slowly and assured correct understanding, that A. I could be the first, B. There was a queue of people complaining of like-symptoms when I went to see the on-hotel G.P. and C. Your stock answer doesn't negate what has happened and I would like an apology or a gesture of good will. My friend experienced two-weeks of Diarrhoea. We both were so reluctant to eat some of the foods causing illness we both ended up on cake-only diets for last few days which was a shame(!)...

I was told the manager would contact me. He didn't. So I spoke to the Customer Service manager a few days later, and given an identical stock reply, I still didn't hear from the manager, nor receive any apology. Oh well.

On the flipside, The Japanese restaurant was of a decent standard, but the menu didn't change and you could easily have sampled everything within 2 visits.

Really, I think the people who can't find a lounger by the pool at the Riu Cancun need glasses. There were empty loungers everywhere, there are other areas where people hardly visit, namely over on the east side of the hotel, where a pool inhabited solely by hardcore Brazilian sun-worshippers spend their days. Moreover, the stretch of beach outside the hotel is one of the finest in the whole of Cancun. You can snorkel about 15 metres out, but beware of the under-tow which rips your feet away very quickly in the afternoons. The hotel was at almost-capacity but Cancun has so many day-trips for people to do that there are probably as many as 40% of residents out at some stage during the day.

The hotel housed a range of people from young groups and families up to older couples, there wasn't any friction or upset people. Expect a few rabbles coming home at 4am, but we heard or saw nothing particularly outrageous. Entertainment staff are very enthusiastic and good at their jobs, and provide a laugh.

We had an iPod and a PSP stolen from our room, had 3 different cleaners on the holiday, and untold beer-fridge-refillers. Neither were in the safe so didn't even bother reporting to Hotel, who would undoubtedly have stock-answers ready again. So ensure you put valuables in safe.

Overall, cannot fault the waiters, bar-staff and cleaners. They do a very hard job very well and don't demand tips like off-hotel staff. The management is very poor. They have obviously put the kitchen on a tight budget which has affected the quality of the food and drink. I have never eaten such horrible bland salty food anywhere in the world. I accept it isn't the most expensive resort, but would rather have less choice of food than end up in Hospital and watching my friend sprinting to the bathroom every 30 minutes. Horrible experience, which is a shame, because the rest of the holiday was so good.

I recommend very closely comparing this hotel to another of a similar price before you make your decision.

Room Tip: Better views higher up.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nick G
WALES,UK
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Having visited many counties around the world my wife and I had an invitation to attend our friend’s daughters wedding at the Riu Cancun. Having never travelled to Mexico before this was an opportunity to tick another box.

Along with the other 47 other guests we enjoyed 14 days of great hospitality and service from all of the staff at the hotel. There were certain individuals that went that extra mile to make our stay that much more enjoyable, but in fairness all of the staff were a credit to their hotel and their homeland. The Mexican people certainly know how to treat visitors from another country.

Rooms: Very spacious, huge bed bigger than I have ever slept in before, nice size bathroom and an excellent view from our 11th floor balcony.

Food: Due to a problem with my throat I cannot eat anything spicy, and going to Mexico I was a little apprehensive. Needn’t have worried, in the main buffet restaurant there was a huge variety to suit all taste buds. Breakfast time there was the normal egg chef doing selected omelets etc., a good choice of fresh fruits, toasties, etc., etc. For lunch and dinner there was everything from soups, salads, pastas, chicken, beef and pork and a variety of potatoes choices. I can only say if you couldn’t find something to tempt your pallet then you do have a problem. The only specialty restaurant we tried was the steak house, to which we visited twice and on both occasions the food was very good. Some of our party visited the Japanese and could not praise it enough.

Entertainment: Most of the entertainment is done by the in-house entertainments team. Although you cannot fault their efforts I’m afraid it’s very similar to most other all inclusive hotels and the expense of bringing in outside entertainment is probably not in their budget. One of the better nights was the Karaoke which was a good laugh.

Excursions: By now you’re probably fed up of hearing about Coco Bongos but believe me it’s probably the best entertainment venue that I have visited in my lifetime. We went there twice, once with the stag party where we were located down on the floor which was brilliant. The second time we went as V.I.P paid almost twice the amount and was stuck up in the gods next to air conditioning which was freezing. Take my advice, forget the V.I.P!!!

Coba Mayan Adventure: Early start to the day, but was well worth it just to go visit a traditional Mayan family then climbing the highest pyramid in the Yucatan peninsula, followed by a swim in a clear rock pool ( sacred Mayan Cenotes) out in the jungle, a good day out.

Catamaran Trip: This was the only trip we done without the help of the Thomson’s rep due to the fact it was that much cheaper. It was a great day out because the 49 of us were on the boat which was exclusive to us. Plenty of music, beer, snorkeling and a visit to the Isla Mujeres where we stopped for lunch and a dip in the sea.

Jungle Tour Speed Boats: For me this was the best of them all, speeding along without a care in the world. Skimming across the waves at high speed was absolutely brilliant, and an hour snorkeling in a protected coral reef half way through the trip made it a memorable experience.

The wedding was a brilliant event and Carrie, Sion and all the family looked great. Would I go back there you ask, most definitely is the answer. In all honesty what made the holiday that much more special was the fact there was 49 of us, and most of the time we met up and generally had some fun. If you would like some more views from our party then look at the reviews from Terry (Wigan) Ruth, Sion and Maz all from South Wales. Enjoy!!!

One word of warning, if you don’t want a nasty shock make sure your luggage is not a single kilo over, or the jobs worth check in staff at both Gatwick and Cancun will lighten your wallet to the tune of £17 per kilo.

Room Tip: High floor great views, no problem with lifts just your normal minute or two wait.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends