“Been there done that ...no thanks”
Review of Hotel Riu Cancun

Hotel Riu Cancun
Ranked #32 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Riu Cancun is certainly a party hotel, lots of young adults drunk to the hilt. One young girl was so inebriated she literally peed herself at the pool bar before her friends carted her off to bed!
Now I like to have fun and I must be getting old but was really annoyed by this fact and the alcohol continued to flow while drunken youth nearly drowned in the pool. Finally security stepped in to stop the party at least for an hour.

The rooms are dated and could use a refresh ... the smell of vomit wafts in the hotel lobby bar which is a bit gross, as there is old carpet on the floor. Considering the way past drunk patrons I don't doubt there was an accident or two.

Staff are hard working and really kind and funny. They crack lots of jokes and ensure your table is cleared while dining. The food is probably one of the better all inclusives I've had to date. Lots of fresh vegetables, fish and fruit.

The adult beach area is the best! Soft white sand almost no rocks and a quiet area to escape the partiers.

So all in all if I was 20-25 this would have been the most amazing vacation ever if all I wanted to do was drink my face off. We took the offer to go to their sister hotel in Playa Del Carmen and we were sure glad we did! We finished off the vacation at a more family oriented hotel and a bit more quiet. Now I can say I've been to Cancun ... don't think I'll return but I will continue to head to the Mayan Riviera and the Riu properties there.

Room Tip: Pick a floor higher than the 5th floor ... an excellent view!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stefarino
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just returned from a 5 day trip! Everything is what we expected...no expectations!!! :). Check in was quick and pleasant and rooms were adequate. All the hotel staff had great smiles and service. It was nice getting to know them all. The customer service rep even hooked us up with some canceled restaurant reservations on our first night when he remembered me walking by shortly after checking in!! We both liked the Japanese restaurant the best. Fried Ice cream was great!! There are shops right across the street or within a short walk so no buses needed. Will return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My girlfriends and I booked the trip for our 50th bday celebration. Only after we booked did we realize it was during college Spring Breaks. We were leery but anxious to have a fun, relaxing time. We were NOT disappointed. The resort was beautiful. Rooms are just adequate, compared to the resort but anyone traveling outside the US probably knows that this is often the case. The resort had 3 pools, all overlooking the beach, plenty of bars and restaurants. There was plenty of lounges and seating in/out for meals at various buffets. The food was wonderful-huge variety. We tried the Steakhouse restaurant which was good, and the Brazilian Steakhouse, which was disappointing. The meat was dry, selection limited, and atmosphere too bright. The buffets were abundant with anything you would want. Guests came from a wide array: Europeans, Spring Breakers (who were not a problem), families, groups, couples. We relaxed all day starting early morning as the time zone was 2 hours behind EST then. The sun is bright and beautiful by 7:00 am. The staff was very helpful all day long. Tips were appreciated but not expected.
Some tips: it was worth us getting our own cab ride ($45 total) back to the airports rather than deal with the transport company that was included. It was more expensive, made several stops, waited for other flight guests and left an hour earlier on our departure date. Also, take towels down early to mark your spot with lounges and trade for clean ones before you leave to take to the room for next day. AC only works in room when door is closed. Floors very slippery when wet-bring rubber flips flops. Very humid there-forego any chance of decent hair. Dress was casual but at night people ere cute outfits, resort casual.
We will go back for sure-fantastic vacation!

Room Tip: Junior Suites have two queens and a pull out. Pull out is just okay but with a pad from housekeeping...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Please DO NOT base your decision to stay at the Riu Cancun on a negative review you read. My husband and I were there from March 19 to March 26, 2012 and we had a fabulous vacation. I cannot think of anything negative at the Riu Cancun. All the staff went out of their way to please us. We had an ocean view junior suite in the middle of the building on the 4th floor and the view was incredible. The food was great. Everything about it was the best. If we get to Cancun again, we would definitely stay at the Riu Cancun again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dln102468
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Ok, Myself and my partner went to mexico for 2 weeks and only came back yesterday (aprils 4th).
We were hoping it was going to be fab however it turned out to be HORRID!!
After being at the hotel only 1 and 1/2 days I had eaten something from the restaurant that not only woke me up with horrendous tummy pains but also 24hours later I discovered worms in my faeces.
I could only have got it from the hotel as I had not eaten anywhere else, I also had only been drinking bottle water and had cleaned my teeth with the bottled water. so it could only have been from the food.

I have been plenty of places in the world including Egypt which is renowned for tummy bugs but this beat any type of diarrhoea you can normally get when travelling abroad!

The food was only warm it was never piping hot, myself and my partner both got the worms and there were hundreds not just one or two and eventually we went to hospital after countless times of seeing the Doctor and Pharmacists.

we took three different types of drugs and it lasted 8 day so the holiday was completely ruined.

We went with Thomson and I have to say the rep out there did not care he just said Bugs were common abroad, but I don't mean to sound vile but they were crawling out of our bums and am sorry but this is not acceptable especially when you are trying to relax!

The only thing i will say is the sports entertainment team were fab and if you dont want to eat and you just want to have fun and lose weight then this is the place to go lol!

What happened to us has put me off going on holiday ever again and I cant believe we spent all that money to have the worst time of our lives :(

Please if you have had the same thing can you let me know as we shall be suing and possibly we can help each other!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple