11,017 results
All reviews sports bar annex building coco bongo quiet pool japanese restaurant every other day bar crawl steak entertainment staff amazing holiday activity pool jungle tour captain hook main buffet a la carte restaurants senor frogs flea market
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Just returned from a 5 day trip! Everything is what we expected...no expectations!!! :). Check in was quick and pleasant and rooms were adequate. All the hotel staff had great smiles and service. It was nice getting to know them all. The customer service rep even hooked us up with some canceled restaurant reservations on our first night when he remembered me walking by shortly after checking in!! We both liked the Japanese restaurant the best. Fried Ice cream was great!! There are shops right across the street or within a short walk so no buses needed. Will return!

Date of stay: April 2012
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My girlfriends and I booked the trip for our 50th bday celebration. Only after we booked did we realize it was during college Spring Breaks. We were leery but anxious to have a fun, relaxing time. We were NOT disappointed. The resort was beautiful. Rooms are just adequate, compared to the resort but anyone traveling outside the US probably knows that this is often the case. The resort had 3 pools, all overlooking the beach, plenty of bars and restaurants. There was plenty of lounges and seating in/out for meals at various buffets. The food was wonderful-huge variety. We tried the Steakhouse restaurant which was good, and the Brazilian Steakhouse, which was disappointing. The meat was dry, selection limited, and atmosphere too bright. The buffets were abundant with anything you would want. Guests came from a wide array: Europeans, Spring Breakers (who were not a problem), families, groups, couples. We relaxed all day starting early morning as the time zone was 2 hours behind EST then. The sun is bright and beautiful by 7:00 am. The staff was very helpful all day long. Tips were appreciated but not expected.
Some tips: it was worth us getting our own cab ride ($45 total) back to the airports rather than deal with the transport company that was included. It was more expensive, made several stops, waited for other flight guests and left an hour earlier on our departure date. Also, take towels down early to mark your spot with lounges and trade for clean ones before you leave to take to the room for next day. AC only works in room when door is closed. Floors very slippery when wet-bring rubber flips flops. Very humid there-forego any chance of decent hair. Dress was casual but at night people ere cute outfits, resort casual.
We will go back for sure-fantastic vacation!

Room tip: Junior Suites have two queens and a pull out. Pull out is just okay but with a pad from housekeeping it was fine. The suites all overlook the pool and ocean. They were quiet wiht the door closed.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Please DO NOT base your decision to stay at the Riu Cancun on a negative review you read. My husband and I were there from March 19 to March 26, 2012 and we had a fabulous vacation. I cannot think of anything negative at the Riu Cancun. All the staff went out of their way to please us. We had an ocean view junior suite in the middle of the building on the 4th floor and the view was incredible. The food was great. Everything about it was the best. If we get to Cancun again, we would definitely stay at the Riu Cancun again.

3  Thank dln102468
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Ok, Myself and my partner went to mexico for 2 weeks and only came back yesterday (aprils 4th).
We were hoping it was going to be fab however it turned out to be HORRID!!
After being at the hotel only 1 and 1/2 days I had eaten something from the restaurant that not only woke me up with horrendous tummy pains but also 24hours later I discovered worms in my faeces.
I could only have got it from the hotel as I had not eaten anywhere else, I also had only been drinking bottle water and had cleaned my teeth with the bottled water. so it could only have been from the food.

I have been plenty of places in the world including Egypt which is renowned for tummy bugs but this beat any type of diarrhoea you can normally get when travelling abroad!

The food was only warm it was never piping hot, myself and my partner both got the worms and there were hundreds not just one or two and eventually we went to hospital after countless times of seeing the Doctor and Pharmacists.

we took three different types of drugs and it lasted 8 day so the holiday was completely ruined.

We went with Thomson and I have to say the rep out there did not care he just said Bugs were common abroad, but I don't mean to sound vile but they were crawling out of our bums and am sorry but this is not acceptable especially when you are trying to relax!

The only thing i will say is the sports entertainment team were fab and if you dont want to eat and you just want to have fun and lose weight then this is the place to go lol!

What happened to us has put me off going on holiday ever again and I cant believe we spent all that money to have the worst time of our lives :(

Please if you have had the same thing can you let me know as we shall be suing and possibly we can help each other!

4  Thank john j
Reviewed 5 April 2012

So I'm a jaded digital professional in his mid 30s who has never considered a vacation at an all-inclusive. But a bachelor party recently roped me in, and I decided to let the group make most of the decisions for me. RIU Cancun has a reputation as a party hotel --- a deserved one --- but my skepticism was completely erased by the beautiful setting, the courteous and hard-working staff, the clean (albeit modest) rooms, and the impressive buffet.

Only two complaints:
1) The afternoons tend to be dominated by loud partiers in the swim-up bar pool, partiers you can hear from your balcony. There are three other pools you can hang out at, plus (oh yeah) the onsite white sand beach, but still just an observation. I saw lots of older couples, families and quiet young couples in addition to the partiers, but the partiers tended to dominate. At one time our group loudly disrupted the dinner at the Japanese restaurant --- which was fun for us and the like-minded tables nearby, but noticeably upset some of the other diners.

2) Reserve your dinners before you arrive, if possible. The restaurants fill up quickly. Also the buffet was splendid but even despite the changing menus and unbelieveable choices on offer, by day 5 I was sick of it.

But ultimately it was a great experience, and for groups of late-teens to late 30s folks who like to have fun, this place cannot be beat. The proximity to the club district alone should cast the deciding vote, never mind the insane value!

Date of stay: April 2012