“Nice & quiet, but intimidation was lerking in the lobby” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laguna Suites Golf & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cancun
Laguna Suites Golf & Spa
Ranked #34 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
FULLERTON
“Nice & quiet, but intimidation was lerking in the lobby”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

My wife and I went to Cancun for our first time. We thought we had purchased the total rest and relaxation package. We were even talked into purchasing the "All inclusive package" in where all of our food, drinks and tips were included. The hotel staff told us not to talk with anyone at the Airport so that we would not get sucked in to the "Time Share" presentation. Boy, they were right! We were able to manuever through the Airport and into our designated hotel van. We checked into the hotel and were hot, tired and thirsty. The hotel staff refused to let us go to our room and we were eventually escorted to the concierge where we were made to listen to him for 30 minutes trying to convince us to go to a "Time Share" presentation. We showed him our paperwork from our vacation package stating that attending a time share was not mandated. He was obviously irritated and made a photocopy of our documentation. During the rest of our stay, it was nice and quiet at this hotel. Due to the layout, 90+% of the rooms did not have a view of the golf course. Our room air conditioner only worked intermittently at best. Our shower drain was always clogged, the beds were like sleeping on a board with a bad knot hole in it. The drinks were watered down (but what do you expect from an all inclusive package). The kitchen staff was great and the limited food selection was good. This hotel did provide a shuttle bus that took you to all of their affilliate hotels at no extra cost. Cancun as a whole was nice, but I don't think I'll be going back any time soon and especially not to this hotel. One more thing; did I mention the concierge gave my wife and I dirty looks everytime we stepped foot in the lobby......can you say "Awkward." If you are looking for a budget hotel and have low expectations, then you'll love it at the Laguna Suites Golf + Spa. BTW...no jacuzzi at this place.

Room Tip: The higher the room number, the closer to the golf course but make sure you are in an upstairs room...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank FRANK M
, Manager at Laguna Suites Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all customer comments which enable us to improve our services. We thank you for your positive feedback regarding our staff and service. We have taken all of your observations into consideration. We hope that you keep us in mind for your next Cancun vacation.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I went to this resort when caught at a weak moment by a telephone solicitor who had a "promotional deal" (read timeshare pitch) that would give us an opportunity to stay at a five star resort cheap if we sat through a 1.5 hour presentation. The Laguna Suites is at very best a 3 star facility. It is situated on a spit of land in the lagoon behing the Cancun strip backed by a golf course and far from any beach. Our reservation specificied a "fairway view" which, as far as I could tell, all rooms had this status - nowhere in my suite could I see a fairway so I complained and was moved to one that actually did. The floorplan of the suites I think are all identical except some have king sized beds and some two doubles. Only a handful have a balcony that can be used. The shower stall in my first suite flooded so I was happy to change rooms, the room i moved to had two flat panel TV's, the first had a single old console model. The staff were good, and other than the need for a decent vacuuming of the hide-a-bed, the rooms, and resort, were clean. The resort has a small pool and swim up bar, but no other bar except bar service in the restaurant. The food, a la carte, is okay but some entrees - particularly the fajitas, are too greasy for my taste. I particularly enjoyed the ceviche and several of the breakfast options. If you want to sit outside at night, wear pants or bug spray - lots of tiny mosquitoes which should be no surprise being surrounded by a lagoon. The resort shares access to three other, superior properties, which give access to buffet options and the beach. A free shuttle for use of the guests will take you to the other resorts every hour until 9:45 pm. It is a relative godsend, and pretty dependable, but can filled quickly late in the evening when people want to get back at the same time. The best thing about the resort is that it is quiet, and the staff do try to please.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a big balcony. Room 212 is maybe the best of the bunch. Ground floor rooms are a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank theonebob
, Manager at Laguna Suites Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are very thankful for your positive comments regarding our staff.

At Laguna Suites we strive to ensure all of our guests have a relaxed stay in a comfortable environment and we are sorry that on this occasion we did not fulfill some of your expectations.

Please be sure we have shared your comments with our sales staff and they have been taken into consideration. All feedback is valuable to improve our service quality.
We hope you can have the opportunity to visit us again and see the changes we are making in our Food & beverages offer, such as a low fat breakfast with juice therapy service, dinner shows and specialty dinners
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Picked up from the airport right outside the doors exactly as they said they would. We immediately met a couple staying at our resort as well, both first time in cancun.

Side note: This was my first time ever in Mexico and right away you will notice that they are not as "discreet" about tipping. I'm sure you can imagine that those employees don't make very much per hour, so don't be a cheap $@& and tip. One thing I can say is from the moment you reach the hotel, until the moment you get on to the shuttle to the airport, you will see the same staff from the first day to the last. Tip good and you will be treated good, be cheap, and you will be writing a 2 star review when you return.

Anyway...

We picked this hotel because of the reviews in triadvisor. Right when we arrived we were greeted and showed to the consiarge. She offered us to the restaurant to eat before we check in etc. We wanted to just get through the bookings and get changed so we just asked if we could do it right away. We booked the 12:00 appointment for the presentation the next day. Also, we asked if we could skip the presentation all together and she did say we could pay full price... We decided to go with the presentation, haha.

After getting to the room we TIPPED the bellhop, got changed, ate, and sat at the pool bar. The food generally was good. There are different flavored and textures so if you are open you won't have a problem. A picky eater will have to order the pasta or BLT. Im sure the menus changes every once in a while, so who really knows.

Our first night we met some of the staff. They were all great, positive, and really made us feel welcome. I can't remember all of their names but I would like to thank them for our service. They are what made our time there so exceptional. Especially Enrique. I know he was doing his job, but he was very good at it. He made us feel great and is the most memorable person from our entire trip.

After the great presentation, from Bruno, and the horrible sales situation, by all of the "managers", we were able to continue with our trip. We did eat at other resturants in the package resorts, but I would say that the atmosphere here was the best. It really did feel like we were away from it all, where the hotels have a way more amaricanized feel. There were birds and a few lizards around. I diddnt see any of these infamous cats. We went walking on the golf course and found a few Iguanas to take pictures of.

There is an Itialian pizza place 2 min up the road, a small beer/convenience store 3 min up the road, and a bigger store 4 min up the road. Pretty convenient, they were open until 2 or something. This seems to be more of a residential area. Even walking to the store at night we felt very safe.

The bar does close early but we brought some duty free booze and they diddnt have a problem with us playing crib and having a good time until 4 in the morning at the resturant tables. Like I said, Tip good and you will be treated good.

Finally, all around we had a great time at the Laguna Suites. It was quiet, comforting, beautiful place. Honestly, I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2012
6 Thank Bigworm357
atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I booked my hotel and was told that this hotel was on the beach that was a lie. The hotel has a small pool, horrible hotel rooms, and nothing works. My television did not work, my safe deposit box did not work. My door did not work it would not lock or open if it decided to lock. The employees at the resturant tried to rip you off by adding more pesos to your items. This place was not worth the money or time. I paid for transportation from and to the airport but they said I only paid for one way when I paid 100.00 and I had all emails documented that I did pay for both ways. They try to take your money every way they can. I would never stay here or go to cancun again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Tywanna A
, Manager at Laguna Suites Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We regret hearing you did not enjoy your stay. We have taken immediate action to correct all of the amenities you report were not functioning during your stay. Any problem or malfunction in your room can be reported to our front desk for immediate attention. We recommend travelling with the all inclusive plan for a worry free vacation, however for those who don’t, our restaurant prices are clearly stated in the menus. Additional fees are not our policy and we have taken action to ensure there are none. Laguna Suites is located on the Pok ta Pok Golf Course which is clearly stated on all of our websites and brochures, our guests who enjoy golf or the personalized service of a small resort enjoy and recommend this property. Free transportation to our sister beach resorts is available.
We thank you for your review and hope to have you back in Cancun in the future.
Omaha, Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We bid on and won a 5-day/4-night stay through a charity auction on biddingforgood.com. I should have known there might be a problem because there are about 35 of these packages being offered currently by various charities. They all claim to have a value over $1,000 and we won ours for a bid of about $350. On the positive side, I will say that the exterior, the lobby, the pool and the restaurant all looked nice and the hotel staff were courteous. Then it went downhill. We were shown to our room. It was as if everything of value had been stolen and they replaced it with used furniture, etc. from a bad second hand store. We asked for another room. This one was as bad s the first and when the bellman opened the small refrigerator door, it fell off its hinges. "We'll fix that tomorrow." He showed us the safe. It wouldn't work. "We'll fix that tomorrow." The floor tile was dirty. I was afraid of getting bedbugs when I looked at the bed cover and linen. I called our airline and booked the first flight out of Cancun in the morning. Yes, that's right, we flew from the U.S., spent one night in Cancun, and returned. It was that bad. We also had dinner at the restaurant. The Ceviche was OK. The main courses (one chicken one fish) were very poor quality. You could do much better at an Aplebees or something. The price was nearly $80 U.S. with alcoholic drink. Way, way over-priced. In conclusion, folks, don't go here, no matter what the price. It might be OK for college students on spring break, but not for anyone else. Ugh.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple