“Great for what it is” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ohio
“Great for what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

The trouble with reviews of hotels/resorts is not everyone has the same frame of reference. Moon Palace is a very good all inclusive hotel. If you're used to staying at a Quality Inn on your vacations, you'll be blown away. If you're used to staying at the Ritz, you'll be disappointed.

One note - we were there from Aug 29-Sept 5 and it was a complete ghost town. Literally 4-5 tables of people in a restaurant for dinner. I was there 4 years ago and it was a LOT less people. Economy, Swine flu, etc. really have taken a toll there.
The resort is kept very clean. Our room was a standard Jacuzzi room with King bed. The room was very clean. It's big enough for what you need it for - after all you're in Cancun. If you're spending hours of time in the room not in the bed, you've gone to the wrong destination. As others mentioned the fridge is well stocked and you even have a liquor dispensor.
Service staff was very friendly and attentive. Sometimes a language barrier - as to be expected but never a rude person. I've stayed in some real 4 & 5 star hotels and some of the staff in those could learn customer service from Palace Resorts.

Pool is HUGE. Definitely largest of this, Beach, Cancun palace (all of which I've been to). Definitely lots of space to get sun by the pool - which is a bonus in such hot weather. Other resorts have less pool space - here your chair is right on the pool.

Drinks: For adults out there - the Moon has better top shelf (although still not extensive) than the other Palace resorts do. However, standard drinks are still made poorly. I honestly had to provide detailed instructions on how I wanted my margarita made. Like any place there were good bartenders and poor. My favorite understood immediately and made it to perfection every time he saw me and my girlfriend coming. We tipped him well. So, my advice is - if you like mixed drinks, make sure you know how they SHOULD be made so you can educate the bartenders (who otherwise use way-too-sweet mixes, too much ice/soda and poor quality liqour). And when getting a Tequila based drink (or a shot) make sure to specify Anejo or you'll get the cheep stuff they use in the Tequila Punch.

Restaurants - One thing I like about Moon Palace is the number of restaurants - about 8 real restaurants to choose from. Quality can be hit/miss. To be sure, quality is never better than say a Fridays - so don't expect Mortons. But it is good quality - we only had one bad meal there (don't order the veal at their Italian restaurant). Sushi, steaks (again think Fridays steak, not Mortons or even Outback), Fajitas and others were all good. To me though it is still worth the convenience of an all-inclusive to have restaurants on-site, with all-you-can-eat-and-drink. I'm on vacation to relax - not worry about where I'm going to dinner and if I'm going to wait for an hour for a table. Especially with kids, this is a wonderful concept. But you have to have the right frame of reference.

Beach - ok, this is the weak spot. The beach itself is very nice - clean, shell-free sand that is easy to walk on. But the water is not the nice blue you see up on the strip. And, of course there's the sea-weed. So, we did not go swimming in the Ocean there. We actually went 2 days up to Sun Palace (no kids allowed). Smaller pools but the beach was much better - lot less seaweed and the water was better. Not the crystal clear of the islands but more pleasant than down by moon palace. The only downside is the shuttle they run between the Palace Resorts requires you to match a return time. There are 3 departures from Moon to the strip and 3 returns and you have to come back accordingly - if you're on the 12:00 outbound, you have to take the 4:00 inbound. So you can't take first bus over and last bus back.

We also went on the sales pitch so we could get $$ towards the spa (combined with a spa credit we had for our package we were able to get a couples 50minute massage for $42 out of pocket). My advice to you is - the sales pitch is the worst scam I've ever heard of. They try to spin it nicely but it really is a bad deal. They first wanted us to buy a 30 week package. Then went down to a 10 week - for $5,000. The catch is, after the first time you have to pay your own airfare AND for a couple, $2,000 each week for "all inclusive". So, the $5,000 equates to $500 per week plus $2,000 for the fee plus say $500 for airfare for two. Total cost = $3,000. Our trip this time around was $2600. And I haven't locked all my vacation money in for the next 10 years to go to the same destination. They do a very good sales job and conveniently keep forgetting to mention the airfare and all-inclusive fee you have to pay for everyone of your weeks after the first one or two.

Entertainment - again, you have to keep things in perspective. It's good for free entertainment. But don't expect it to be a Vegas show.
I'll attach some photos of the resort for you to see

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank John G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,804)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
PhillyPhilly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

We had a great time at the Moon Palace from start to finish.
Rooms:
We stayed in the Presidential Golf Suites that came with personal golf cart for you to get to and from the main hotels.The rooms are beautiful,we had daily housekeeping,towels,mini bar refills,etc. And you didn't not have to ask it was done automatically. The showers are roomy (can fit 2 and still have room)and the jacuzzi is great :).when you arrive there is a bottle of wine and fruit.that gives the room a nice touch as well. And the room service very good,it didn't take long get your order and the food taste great.
Food and Bars:
The food was GREAT..and I am somewhat of a picky eater. And i can't thing of one thing that i didn't like at any of the many resturants.They have specilatiy drinks of the day(everyday) :). And my favorite was The BLUE LAGOON.. but when i was not drinking blue lagoons I was drinking something. Needless to say my cup was never empty....
Spa:
Me and my husband did the spa together. when you make your reservation they ask you to come a hour early before your appointment so you can do all the amenities that the spa has..WELL I enjoyed meant of it. After during all the amenities then came an hour long couples massage.My husband is still talking about it.
Beach / Pools:
The beach was nice the only thing was when you walk into the water the sand was really rocky(but I'm don't really swim in the ocean so it didn't change my outlook of the resort at all).So for the pool area the and the swim up bars they were a bunch of fun and there is always some type of entertainment going on around the pools area everyday something different and was one reason things stay interesting because everything wasn't sameo sameo..and the crowd was always nice.. It was three other couple that went with my husband and I and they al have been saying the same thing..(MOON PALACE WAS THE BEST WE MUST GO BACK).

So if you are think about Cancun,think Moon Palace..

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TheNextTrip23
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2009

We did not travel to Cancun intending to stay at this location. We booked a room at another all inclusive resort, but were approached at the airport for a tour of this resort in return for some good incentives. Upon arriving we found this resort to be far better than the one we had booked at and even decided it was good enough to buy a membership. We had the manager throw in a complimentary week while we were down and we transferred the next day. In the 5 days we were on site we were treated like kings. The rooms are kept well stocked with beer and soda, and there is even a liquor dispenser in the adult's room. The activities at the resort were far to numerous for us to even make a dent in before we had to leave. With18 holes of mini golf and 36 holes of Arnold Palmer PGA level golf, the golfers are covered. 2 large pool complexes (only one of which did we get into) kept the kids entertained. Nightly shows that are not repeated week to week are top notch quality. We were told there was a paintball course on site but we never had enough energy to look for it. The activity center and sports area were impressive but it was a little hot for outdoor sports. The excursions offered were first rate. We got our two trips for taking the tour(the same two trips each guest gets per week of stay anyway) and used the chance to visit Tulum and took the kids to the Wet 'n' Wild water park (small by Stateside standards but still a nice day as food and drinks were still included). We also purchased 2 water sports excursions. We decided to go para sailing, and took a jungle tour through a mangrove jungle on an outboard jet ski to the beach where we snorkeled over the reef. The experience was awesome for us and our children. The only bad part of the whole time here was having to leave. Even this was made marginally easier by the courteous staff who took care of getting the cab and making sure everything was in order to get us to the airport at the right time. We cannot wait to return to this resort and explore the other resorts in the Palace family.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Brentp78
Seaham Co Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

My husband and I travelled to Cancun and stayed at the Moon Palace for 2 weeks for our honeymoon. On arrival receptionist was ok, but as soon as we were in our room we received 4 phone calls off the belt from customer relations/reception/timeshare people, not what you want after travelling since 3am in the morrning from Las Vegas!!
We were also pestered by our Virgin Holiday rep as soon as we arrived, she left two officious messages on the answerphone, we later discovered we were the only 2 guests she had in the hotel as we arrived on 1st June just after the swine flu advisory was lifted. That figures as the americans would say. I couldn't believe a 5 star hotel would bother their guests in this way.
The hotel itself was fab, the majority of food absolutely lovely with stacks of choice, we really enjoyed bugumbillias at lunch when we were too lazy to breakfast. The chinese in the Nizuc side had to be our favourite. Everyone we met raved about Trattoria I thought it was slightly overrated as my food was luke warm disappointing!
The staff were all so lovely and genuinely so, we tipped well. Cocktails round the pool during the day weren't very strong I suppose they don't want everyone plastered oh and probably don't want the americans to be louder than they already are if that's possible!
I can safely say I had really had enough of them by the end of the fortnight, they can be downright rude & I had 2 personal experiences of this and saw/heard them be rude to the staff, the only downside to what was a perfect stay in the Moon Palace.
We sort of managed to escape from them as the place is so big, the Moon Grand pools being our favourite. I thought the beach was lovely, don't know why everyone whinges about it get a life!
Anyway all in all it was a good honeymoon/holiday but I think it would be nicer if it was more geared up for couples instead of loud brash yanks.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Freeho;d N.J.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2009

We just got back from a weeks stay at the Moon Palace. My wife and I and my 2 teenage daughters/boyfriend and my 12 year old son. Also my wife's sister, husband with her daughter, husband and 2 young children. At first I did not think that we would all find common things to do.
To my surprise the Moon Palace has so much to offer. Beautiful pools, beautiful beaches, great dining with so many different reataurants to choose from.
Day trips provided by the hotel kept everyone busy.
Every night they had entertainment with no charge. The Michael Jackson show was great. My entire family enjoyed it so much. We talked about it for days.
The Palace is so clean. The rooms are great. The people working there are so friendly. Never saw anyone in a bad mood. They really reach out to help everyone.
Service by the pool and in the restaurants was superb.
I can't wait to go back. My wife and I went to the Adventura Spa Palace back in February and became members then.This was our 2nd trip to the Palace and we were all so pleased with this vacation.
My sister in-law and brother in-law loved it so much that they are now members also.
Moon Palace is truly "A Palace"

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank mryankeesal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
8.8 km away
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,738 reviews

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK