New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #22 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
spokane
“Most amazing place ever!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

This resort is gorgeous and im having withdrawls from leaving i want to go back!!! Amazing staff, amazing views and the beach and pools and landscape is gorgeous! I will be back soon :}

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kirstin f
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5,519)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Wasn't impressed with this resort but then it wasn't our choice...we were attending a wedding. Having read some of the reviews on here since we returned, I'm beginning to wonder if I was at an entirely different place. Despite upgrading ourselves to concierge level, we didn't feel the cost was worth it because there was no difference in the service or amenities that everyone else (non concierge) received. The food was blah ... the best meal of the trip was actually at the airport on the day we were leaving. The staff were friendly and willing to help. Having been used to the Excellence Resorts, this place really was a disappointment. The only plus was the spa.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WashingtonDCDeb
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Just finishing out a fantastic week at the Moon Palace Resort in Cancun celebrating 10-year anniversary (4/21/12-4/28/12). Came with our 8 y/o and we all had a blast. At check-in we were given a quick overview and given pink wristbands to acknowledge that we were celebrating anniversary. The hotel rep giving us our initial overview tried to get us to agree to a presentation of the "membership" program (timeshare) by offering free golf, etc, but we declined thinking it would be a high pressure tactic to get us to join...we just wanted to check the place out first.

We got to our room and there was a bottle of wine and cake there awaiting our arrival. Very nice touch.

Service at this resort is top-notch! We stayed at Sunrise, and all the restaurants (No No Mo Hana, Bugambilias, Italian Buffet) all very good. The ClubHouse Restaurants have really good food too...La Trattoria was our favorite out of them all, but Bambu is good too.

Alejandro, our waiter at Bugambilias (restaurant in Sunrise) went over the top making sure we were taken care of. He made our 8 y/o several plastic figures by melting plastic drink stirrers into shapes...our daughter loved it! Also, Marycarmen at the Sunrise pool was very friendly and gave us excellent service at the pool. Our maid was fantastic too.

The service at all the restaurants was very good and I was surprised how good the food was, even the buffet food was really good. They had nightly entertainment throughout the week, fire show, magic show, dancing, etc. All of that came with the package and was free too.

The resort is very clean, food is excellent, and the staff makes sure that you are happy and having a good time. I played 4 rounds of golf and found the staff there (Jose the Starter) very friendly and willing to do whatever it takes to make sure you have a good time---they let me tee off early a few times and were very accommodating even though I was a single player.

We had a bad experience with all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana 5 yrs ago. The service was terrible and the attitude of the employees at the resort was terrible...it was like they hated us and could care less if we had a good time or not. We swore to never do all-inclusive again, but were convinced by friends to try out Moon Palace and we are really glad we did. This place is awesome, and we will definitely be coming back soon. We even spoke with a few "members" that love the place so we are going to revisit the membership idea on the next trip.

As with anything, if you look hard enough for something to complain about, you'll probably find it. But we came just looking to have a good time--and had a fantastic time, no issues at all, and absolutely loved it! Highly recommend the Moon Palace!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get one close to the hotel lobby where the restaurants are, and close to the pool. So...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank luv2travll_ennewhere
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

First I want to start off by saying that my family and I have returned to the Moon Palace for over 3 years in a row. First as a family vacation, then as a mother/daughter trip, then a girls trip for extended family, and the list goes on. The resort has great excursions, is spacious and suitable for the young and the old as well as fun and/or quiet relaxation, and there is always someone to drive you from one end of the resort to the other. The main reason I seem to return to the Moon Palace is because it has a dance floor and of course it is the Palace Resort with the greatest variety of food! Food is a very important part of my vacations. My absolute favourite restaurant is the Bambu with La Trattoria being the second best. One day we arrived quite late and as it was March Break it was busy; I made everyone wait for a couple hours because I had to eat there once more before leaving. You can get dressed up and have a lovely meal with fantastic servers. Mauricio Cupul was our favourite server and we looked forward to seeing him specifically! He was always on the ball. I would even say he made the lasting impression for Moon Palace. And if I had to put a downside to the Moon Palace it would be that The Grand section needs to improve food and service. The rooms there are absolutely stunning, but as it is new there needs to be some improvement in the restaurants in that section. The waiters were not busy but made us wait for water and the food had many problems multiple years in a row. Overall it is fantastic, personally I just avoid The Grand Section.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, but the location of them is a deciding factor. If you want to be in the party a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Vic R
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

Below I will give you my opinion on the 3 sections of the resort, the $1500 in resort credit, the 90 minute presentation, the Spa, the various restaurants, entertainment and general observations. You’re welcome to go directly to the area below that you’re interested in. I’ve also attached some pictures of the various brochures we received while there, including the spa pricing.

The Moon Palace is separated into 3 sections (See attached picture) with a hotel lobby for each of them. The three sections are Grand, Nizuc, and Sunrise. You can walk along the beach to get between the three locations or take a shuttle from lobby to lobby. Walking from Sunrise (the furthest north) to the Grand (the Furthest south) took us about 8-10 minutes, but its resort the entire way, with pools/food/drinks as you go.

**** Grand-
The newest area of the resort with the fewest, but newest rooms. This is a bit out of the way from the majority of the resort, but a great location if you would like it a bit more quite and calm. There isn’t any major entertainment at the Grand like there is at Nizuc and Sunrise. There’s one small taco stand type restaurant called Los Tacos located in one of the pool areas of the Grand. There’s also a buffet style restaurant in the Grand area. Generally I would say this area is more cozy, calm, quiet and secluded.

**** Nizuc-
This is the area in the middle of the resort, and is where we stayed. The lobby is smaller than the Sunrise but larger than the Grand by quite a bit. My generally sense is that this is where more couples stayed if they didn’t want the quiet environment of the Grand. All day long there’s entertainment and music at the pool. The entertainment included things like beach volleyball, water polo, aqua aerobics, black jack, the guessing game, etc. There’s also a stage with nightly events planned. Some of those events included a magic show, fire juggling, break dancing crews, karaoke, mariachi band, etc., There’s a similar, but smaller, stage on the Sunrise side with similar programming. There are plenty of restaurants in Nizuc, some are sit-down and order and some are buffet style. There’s also a gym with general gym equipment and both Men’s and Women’s steam rooms and dry saunas. Lockers are provided for free at the gym.

**** Sunrise-
This is the largest lobby at the resort. It’s also the area that has the conference center, so there was always some sort of conference going on here, but you wouldn’t really know it. The conference center certainly wouldn’t be a reason not to stay here. While we were staying here Tastefully Simple (the independent sales company) was hosting their incentive trip here. Apparently if you sell enough of their products each year you can qualify for trips like this.

****** Golf Course/Spa
This is another section of the resort. I didn’t play golf, so I can’t speak towards that, however I did hear someone say that they didn’t think it was “manicured” very well.

The Spa was wonderful and very well organized.

**** $1500 Resort Credits/Booking Tours with your Credits-
When you first check-in you sit down with someone that gives you basic information about the resort. They also tell you what you can use your resort credits on. When they are down giving you the basics they ask you about doing a 90-minute presentation. Read more about the 90-minute presentation in the “90 Minute Presentation” section below. There are limited things that you can spend your resort credits on and each time we talked to someone they gave us a different listing of what those things are. I’ve attached a photo showing you one of pamphlets they gave us that shows what the resort credits can be used on.

I would suggest figuring out what you want to spend your credits on and booking it right away. Otherwise they may not have an opening by the time you leave. Right after we checked in we booked messages so we didn’t have a problem with the Spa not having openings. We did want to do the Romantic Dinner but didn’t book it in time, so we weren’t able to get in. At that point we were just trying to use our credits up so we didn’t leave any unused.
*****You can only use a certain amount towards certain things, i.e. you can only use 300 of the 1500 towards Spa treatments.******

Our ******WORST******* and most frustrating experience in the resort was dealing with the people at the tables in the lobby that book your tours/spa/etc. with the resort credits. There was always a line unless you went early in the morning. Depending on the person you talked to they would tell you something different and on multiple occasions they gave us misinformation. They were also, in most cases, not very attentive when talking to us and seemed like they didn’t like their jobs. The only time we experienced this low service level at the resort was with this group. All of the other staff were very professional, pleasant and helpful. If you’re trying to use resort credits you should plan to spend a few hours dealing with this. Very very frustrating.

Lastly, they will give you a yellow confirmation form for each thing you book. You’re required to bring this with you to your excursion/tour/spa. If you loose it, you lose it. I saw two people get turned away because they had lost their yellow slips. Take them back to your room and put them in the free safe.

**** 90 Minute Presentation
After checking in the receptionist sends you over to talk to another person. They will give you a brief rundown of the resort and it’s amenities and then ask you if your interested in attending a 90-minute presentation. It’s basically a time-share they are trying to sell you, but they will insist that it’s a “membership” to their resorts and not a time-share.

We were offered $150 in Spa credits if we did the presentation. I told him that we would do it if they gave us $300 in Spa credit. He sent someone a text and then said he couldn’t do that much. We declined to do it that morning and said we would talk about it.

A couple of days later we decided we wanted to do the 90-minute presentation. There are many tours or excursions you can take that you AREN’T able to use your resort credits towards, so we asked about getting credits towards some of those excursions. We were able to get $150 in “PVP” credits, which we were allowed to use towards almost any of the tours they offered. We also got 100 in Spa credit that we could use in addition to the $300 of the resort credits that we used.

When they sit you down to start talking about the 90-minute presentation they ask you if you have a credit cards and ID with you. I didn’t have mine with me, so I asked why I needed it and she simply said we need to see that it have a VISA or MASTERCARD logo because they are sponsoring this months prize and we need to simply see the logo. So, she had someone take me in a golf cart to our room to get my credit card. THEY NEVZER ASKED TO SEE MY CREDIT CARD ONCE I HAD IT. They never wanted to “see the logo”. All they wanted was for us to have a credit card to be able to purchase the time-share after the presentation. They don’t want people to be sold on the time-share and then go back to their rooms for their credit cards and reconsider doing it. We declined the time-share and still got the promised credits.

The salesman, the manager, some other person, and the “quality control” person all tried to sell us the time-share, but they were actually fairly low pressure and professional with their approach.

I would suggest trying to get as much for the 90-minute presentation as you can. We saw a couple of people get up to $300 in Spa credit.

***** Restaurants
See the attached picture for the names, hours, and locations of the various restaurants.

There are two restaurants located at the Spa/Golf course and both of them require reservations. One is an Italian and the other is Japanese. We only ate at the Italian restaurant and it’s wonderful!

In order to get reservations you have to go to the lobby of Sunrise between 2-5pm the day that you want reservations. People start lining up at 1:00, or earlier, for the Italian restaurant. We got there at 1:15 and the staff were there at 1:40 to take reservations. It’s booked full every day.

**** Wet n’ Wild
It’s owned by Palace Resorts. We used some of our credits to go here prior to the Dolphin swim. We took the free bus that picks up at Nizuc and goes to Wet n’ Wild. It leaves Nizuc at 12:00noon, but has limited availability and people started lining up at 11:00. You have a guaranteed ride back with a paper slip they give you.

Contrary to what the resort told us, they charge you for lockers AND towels. The towels were $4 each. The lockers were $14 and you get $10 back when you return the key. We specifically asked this before going and the front desk told us there was no charge.

**** Jungle Tour and Aqua Twister
You have to pay $7.00 that’s not included in your fee or paid with the resort credits. The fee supposedly goes to the government to maintain the reef, etc.
The Aqua Twister is simply a large speed boat that goes in the water at 55 MPH and then makes sharp turns. A couple of people had upset stomachs from the quick turns. I wasn’t real thrilled with this portion of the excursion.

After the Aqua Twister you get on two person wave runner type boats and follow the guide out into the ocean and go snorkeling for about 30 minutes. This was a great experience and worth the time. I would have done this without the Aqua Twister if it was an option.

**** Swimming with the Dolphins at Dolphinaris
This is right next to the Wet N’ Wild water park. We used our resort credits to do this. I would recommend booking this as soon as you get to the resort, as we heard about people not being able to get a spot when they waited a day or two.

This was an incredible experience! We’re glad we did it.

They do spend a lot of time getting you to pose for pictures so at the end they can try to sell them to you. You can’t bring your own camera. The lowest price options for their pictures were 1 printed 5x7 for $30 or 3 pictures on a CD for $69. Their packages went into the multiple hundreds of dollars.

TIP: They try to get you to buy the pictures while you are there, but they do offer an option to purchase them online from home if you say you don’t have any money with you. The prices at home are the same as in the store, but you can at least spend more time picking the right pictures. We just looked at them online when we got home so we could show our 3 year old daughter that we swam with the dolphins. We didn’t purchase any.

**** Shuttles:
There’s a large bus that goes between the Sunrise, Grand and Nizuc lobbies.
There’s a golf cart that goes between Nizuc and Grand.
There’s a van that goes from the lobbies to the Golf Course/Spa.
There’s a bus that goes from Nizuc to the Palace resorts that are located in the Hotel District. (95% of the people on our bus were going to Beach Palace and said the Beach is amazing)

I’m sure I’ve left some things out. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about our experience. Please don’t forget to view the pictures.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jaguar building (every building has an animal name) on the second floor. We didn...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
31 Thank jimsayre56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
8.8 km away
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,475 reviews
38.4 km away
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#52 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,213 reviews
18.3 km away
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Moon Palace Cancun? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK