“Excellent staff , very friendly and a service second to none I enjoyed a very special time there.”
Review of Moon Palace Cancun

Moon Palace Cancun
Ranked #23 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The moon plaza offers a 5 star experience with great choice , it caters for all types of activities and the staff are only too happy to help with everything you could need.

I found our public relations officers Araceu and Alain to have all the answers and extended every courtesy to us on our trip.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Sandmoon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just came back from a week at the Moon Palace Grand in Cancun. In short, here are our impressions and judgments:
1. The staff is very friendly and efficient.
2. The beach is cleaned daily of seaweed, but the water is murky.
3. The shows are amateurish, but they are trying out new shows that have live entertainment that are an improvement.
4. The golf course is nice, but expensive.
5. Avoid the "Resort Credits" scam. You get points, but the items you would use the points on are way overpriced...and we are not price sensitive.
6. The food in the less highly touted restaurants is as good or better than in the restaurants where you may have to wait for two hours to get in!!
7. The spa is only mediocre for what is charged.
8. The grounds and pools are kept very clean and neat, but there is a lot of unfinished construction due to the fact that the drop-off in tourists willing to risk going to Mexico has hit them hard.
9. We have been to Mexico three times with friends who have a timeshare and I will say that we finally got mixed drinks that were quite good versus the watered down cheap liquor that we experienced in the two prior visits to either the Palace or Mayan resorts.
10. Again, the staff in the restaurants and by the pools really deserve kudos for their attentiveness and friendliness, but we question if it is really worth going to Mexico when there are resorts in the U.S. that are better without all the hassles of the flight, going through customs and paying more than you should for just about everything. Try Palm Springs or Key West. We have and will probably will stay in the U.S. with maybe an occasional visit to Mexico in the future.

Bottom Line: If you like to relax and stay put at the resort, it has its charm, but don't even consider buying a timeshare...just rent a room there and resist any of there efforts to suck you into ownership.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CSorensen
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Right before our trip to Cancun, I fell and broke my jaw. Although I was lucky and didn't need to have my mouth wired shut, I was told that I mustn't chew for six weeks while the bone was healing. This meant a strict blendable diet. I spoke with the resort ahead of time, and someone in public relations told me that the restaurants at Moon Palace would help me with my eating needs in any way they could. And they were wonderful at the restaurants. We went to several of the delightful choices of places, and everywhere we went, the chef blended each dish I ordered. From sushi in the Japanese restaurant to Chicken mole in the Mexican place, I ate everything the others in our group had and felt really grateful for the kindness and eagerness to please at every single place. Overall, the staff at the entire Moon Palace were extremely nice, accommodating, and helpful. We had a fabulous time. If you have to break a jaw before a vacation, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Grand section are more spacious than in the other sections. The entire Grand section is...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Judith T
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My boyfriend and I were so excited for our Mexican vacation. We had friends that were getting married at the resort and we could not wait to share their special day with them. I had read many reviews on Trip Advisor and everything I read about the Moon Palace made it sound wonderful. How disappointed were we!

We arrived at the hotel in the evening and after checking in and unpacking our things, we immediately went to meet our friends for a cocktail at the lobby bar. We knew we would not be gone for more then a couple of hours and figured all our stuff would be safe. It was so late in the evening, we figured that no staff would be entering our room (turndown service, housekeeping, mini-bar replenishment), so we did not put anything in the safe. However, we did put our phones and wallets in a very obscure suitcase pocket. Upon our return to the the room a few hours later, we immediately discovered that both our Iphones and all our cash was missing. For how obscure the pocket was, someone definitely took their time to go through all of our things. They didn't take jewelry, passports, credit cards, ipods, ipads, or our golf clubs, just our phones and cash. We immediately called security and 4 men came and went through all our stuff again and took statements from us, but that was it. They brought a machine that could tell us what time our door had been opened and we found out the robbery happened at about 11 pm. That was great news, but the security guard had the nerve to tell my boyfriend and I that it was our key that opened our door and not one of their staff. I was appalled. He was practically telling us that any of their staff has the right to come in your room and steal things at any time and too bad that you didn't put it in the safe. Well, not everything fits into a safe the size of the shoe box, nor do I expect someone to enter my room at 11 pm and steal my stuff. Once security took our statements, they left and my boyfriend and I tried to get some sleep. Kind of hard to do, when you know someone has been going through your things.

The next morning we stopped by the public relations desk, just to ask a few more questions and to follow up. Again, he practically washed his hands of us and asked why we didn't use the safe. As a guest and customer that paid almost $3000 to stay at this "nice" resort, I expected a little more compassion or even a simple apology. We didn't get either.

Overall, very disappointed with how the resort handled our situation, and believe that there is definitely some sort of "crime ring" happening within the staff. Other then that, the wedding was fun. The sports and entertainment staff definitely keep you entertained while lounging by the pool, but I do not think I will be traveling to the Moon Palace or Mexico in the near future. My boyfriend and I have been on many other tropical vacations (Cozumel, Acapulco, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, St. Thomas...) and we have never had any issues like this before.

Room Tip: Use the Safe!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Moxie35479
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The resort had everything you can ask for... great food, spotless in every area, second to none service, and entertainment at all times. This was my third trip to Moon Palace and it seems to exceed expectations every time. Great for all ages and family types... services and entertainment provided for all ages too. Special shout out to my amigo Kenny Garcia Puc, bartender at Nizuic Pool... thanks for the great memories and poolside fun Kenny, you provided at great atmosphere for everyone at Nizuic pool!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family