“R&R - got what I wanted & needed!”

Marriott Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Since I used this website (and others) in helping choose a hotel, I thought I should give my review. Was looking for a "deal" that was all-inclusive and ocean front room. I got one of the two...which turned out to be OK since I ended up adding some excursions. I stayed the week of July 4th. Breathtaking view of the pool and blue ocean from lobby! Upgraded to ocean front (not pool view/not a suite) but it was on a corner so I could see both...definitely worth it! The 4th nite was free and included $50 US credit daily (my only credit card was a debit/credit card - didn't allow $ to be held on my account which required my bills to be checked each time, annoying but worked out in the end). I did not opt for all-inclusive. I basically ate 2 meals daily to try to stay within (my) credit. Add in the costs of drinks and it could have easily run up a much larger tab (though I did have a few!). Breakfast was good selection - $22 US buffet was high. Thai restauarant was good (would be nice to be on ocean side vs. grounds since its open). If there was another traveler with me, I would have considered all-inclusive. Service overall was great- at check-in, the restaurants, housekeeping, on the beach, at the pool bar! (would recommend the swim up bar to stay open later since the sun was up well after 7:00PM closing time..they did stay open later a few nites). Safe in room/no add't charge- a plus! King bed was comfy. $15 US for wi-fi is high. Since I didn't want to be in touch, wasn't an issue for me (though couldn't get wi-fi to work in most locations in Cancun when I did try). Good location to bus stop to venture into other parts of town. Red flags were out each day....made for a rough swim. Pool at JW marriott provided an awesome view of full moon one nite. Overall, I got what I wanted & needed from this hotel for a wonderful week of R&R. Gracias!

Room Tip: Unless you want to see the pool, opt for just ocean front view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed there from July 8th 2012 through July 12th 2012. The only reason I chose this hotel was because I got it at a very price. The breakfast buffet is REALLY bad, everything tastes weird. The eggs are very strange, like made from cheap powder or something. The 'organic' coffee (regular coffee included) tasted like sweat. The beans (come on, we're in Mexico!) tasted really, really bad as well.

The rooms are nice. But dirty! So dirty! When ALL the mirrors got condensed from the hot shower and/or opening the balcony door, you could see all the nasty splashes of product that were never wiped! Also, since the floor is not all carpeted, I counted at least 10 female hairs on the floor. Really disgusting. The balcony was even more dirty! Filled with dust/sand and more female hair.

The loby is very hot, check-in is at 4pm! They made us wait more than 1 hour at the loby, all of which I spent sweating and very mad. It was'nt even that hot. It must have been like 90°F outside.

All in all, a very nasty experience. I was overwhelmed by the famous "Mexican mediocrity" (I'm a Mexican living in México)

The prices belong in a Vegas 5 diamond resort, but too bad what you get for those ridiculous prices is nothing more than mediocre food and services. They charge you like 10 bucks to deliver room service, it'so so ridiculous. I will never, ever stay here again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Carlos G
MarriottCancun, Public Relations Manager at Marriott Cancun Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to send your review. We use the best quality products in the market for all our restaurants and bars, we are sorry that some of the offerings from our breakfast buffet we not to your personal liking. Regarding your comments about the cleanliness in your room and the lobby temperature, they have been shared with the managers of those areas in an effort to have them looked more closely.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

We took a little much needed break in the fall last year and went to Mexico. The hotel staff at the Marriott made our trip worthwhile. Excellent service, nice rooms with ocean view. The pool is excellent and the jacuzzi is worth the already cheap price we paid for our room. We originally wanted a suite, but the room was just big enough so we didn't even bother upgrading. If you're a steak junkie like i am, try the steakhouse at the hotel. The surrounding areas are worth the trip, there's a sports bar and sushi place, also excellent service. There's also a seafood place across from the hotel, can't remember the name but you won't miss it because it's on the same strip, the food and service there is excellent and to die for.
Honestly, we didnt want to go back to NYC because for the first since we've been traveling, we had excellent service from everyone!!!! Even the people at the local market were very friendly, they showed us around and helped us when we were driving back, cause we got lost.
Make sure you visit Chichen Itza and Isla Mujeres.
Overhall, best hotel in Cancun!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We specifically looked for a hotel in the hotel zone that was not an all inclusive hotel. We visited July 2 - 9th, 2012 Casamagna Marriott fit the bill perfectly. The hotel is well kept, the pool is great. The steakhouse is excellent. We got the deal with 4th night free and two free breakfast buffets each day (which is expensive but great, but even better when free). Since we were rarely in our rooms and did a lot of all day tours, an all inclusive would have been a waste. This allowed us to pick some of the best restaurants in Cancun. We are not big drinkers so instead of eating buffet food at an all inclusinve, we got to pick and choose when and where we ate, without standing in line and much better food. They do have red flags on the beach most of the time as the current can be strong. Our teenage sons did the parasail but we paid at the CasaMagna pool area and had to walk about 10 minutes to get to the Aquatour facility (the one in front of the hotel, Sail Center, is not the one Marriott is having you pay for). Pool bar restaurant is good but drinks are pricey (as are all hotels). Rooms were clean. Air Conditioning was great and you will need it as the humidity is about 150%. We never heard anything from the rooms around us and is maybe the best insulated room I have ever been in.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jim N
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The hotel is beautiful and very well updated and maintained. The swim up bar is a great hang out in the pool and the beach has a nice little cafe as well. They also have waiters that will come to your beach chair so you don't have to go back and forth. The service was excellent from start to finish and the Argentine Steakhouse is amazing (both for breakfast and dinner). This hotel made the few days in Cancun an amazing trip!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends