“Best place I've ever stayed at while traveling!”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #37 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 June 2012

This place is my new home away from home, my paradise. It was my first time leaving the states and my family and I came for a week in mid-June. There is nothing I don't like about this place. If you need something, you can find it here from volleyballs, ceramic painting, an in house market, gift shop, spa, there is even a doctor on site for emergencies! Let's not forget happy hour (my favorite part ;) ) the bartenders know the best suggestions and make the best drinks. I recommend getting a Caribbean Breeze if you like tropical drinks. The bartender made this for me after I was tired of my usual and I had Caribbean Breezes for the rest of the trip! I love how you can go to any of the Royal resorts and be able to get free transportation there, and use everything they offer at the other resorts using your own room key. The staff is very friendly and personable. They get to know you and best of all, they remember your name, face, and prior conversations. You make friends while here and the staff becomes a second family. I saw that others were complaining in their reviews how the concierge service was "too pushy" but I never got that impression and I loved Antar. He was so nice and helpful, he gave us options and wasn't too pushy on making any sale. I already told my dad that when we come back we are coming back here! Words cannot describe how much I love this place. Every single room has a view and the workers cater to you and the beach is literally what you get when you think of a tropical beach and beach advertisements. There is no where else I'd rather stay at!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at the Royal Caribbean May 25th to June 2nd. Our room was spacious and we loved the balcony with its relaxing furniture. The resort is laid out so that every unit has an ocean view. It was very quiet here. The room we were in could use some repairs, such as the shower that felt like a sandblaster and you couldn't lower the pressure, and because it was a tub/shower combo with a shower curtain, water went everywhere. We were in a 1 bedroom suite that had a full kitchen, large dining table, tv area with a wall unit and 2 murphy beds, and a separate bedroom with king bed and a separate slider door to the balcony. One of the slider doors needed a handle on the outside, it was hard to open from the outside if it was shut all the way.

The gym isn't free to guests. You have to pay a daily use fee or they'll sell you a week pass. So my son and I skipped the workouts! However, we really enjoyed the coffee shop located in the lobby. Excellent cappuccinos and prices about even with what we pay in the states. There is a decent sized grocery store near the lobby as well with an internet cafe. We were not bothered at all by time share people here! We walked by the sales office a few times every day and not one person approached us. We did get a few calls though from our assigned "personal concierge" who encouraged us to take part in a welcome party to find out things to do in the area, etc., (which I'm sure was a lure to get you to the sales pitch). We just ignored the phone messages and they didn't bother us. We didn't like that they wanted us to "charge" to our room by using our room key for dinners, drinks, etc. They really don't want you to pay cash. This is fine for some people, but you really have to watch your spending when you do this because it's hard to keep track or stay on your daily budget. My husband insisted on paying cash several times and they gave in, but it was a hassle.

This resort has a strange layout!! Lots of steps, no elevators to the lobby level, you have to go up or down a flight of steps to catch the elevator. And there are lots of steps down to the beach if you want to take the quickest route. The elevators just weren't in convenient locations here. This was a problem for us as my husband has rheumatoid arthritis, bad knees and a bad back. So if you're fit, this isn't a problem. Also, the hotel is situated far away from the main road where you catch the bus. It's a long walk past a noisy construction site to get to the bus. It would have been more convenient to take the cabs but a cab ride from our hotel to the central area on the strip where the clubs and shopping are was $10 US, versus the bus which was $2. So we took the cab only if it was raining or my husband was too sore to walk.

This resort has a policy where saving beach or pool chairs by parking your towel or other belongings on them is strictly prohibited! This wasn't an issue while we were there because there were few people at the resort, it was very quiet most of the time. But I wish all resorts had this policy. There are PLENTY beach palapas and chairs here, and plenty loungers at the pools as well. The pool water was refreshing in the middle of a hot day but in the evening it was on the cool side. The ocean was rough at this resort and we had red flags every day (meaning no swimming!), because of rip currents, so that was a let down. I think perhaps other months the surf is calmer, or it could have just been an unusually rough week surf-wise while we were there. If you go up around the point, by the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, the sea is calm like a lake! Beautiful for swimming there.

We took the boat over to Isla Mujeres and rented a golf cart and drove around the island and swam at the public beach. Very worth doing. Be sure to stop at Iguana point where all the iguanas are!

Also enjoyed the Cozumel snorkel tour. But bring your own towels if you do this! We asked the hotel desk if they provide towels and were told yes, but they don't.

And finally, if you like an ice cold beer and a beautiful ocean view, eat lunch at Mocambo's!! We had excellent fish tacos and frosty cold beers here with a sweeping aqua blue sea water view, it's right on the edge of the water.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any rooms that don't have a nice view, unless you are on the lower f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank luv2travel7779
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have a timeshare at the Royal Caribbean and have vacationed here for many years with nothing but the best experiences from beginning to end. The accommodations are excellent with a breathtaking view no matter what villa you occupy. The staff are so pleasant and friendly every day (you never see a grouchy face). The grounds and villas are always well kept and clean. I can't say anything negative about it. The age of the vacationers vary I think with the time of year because there were young and old alike while we were there. There are many activities for everyone and the restaurants are excellent. I can't praise the resort enough. We like the Royal Resorts so much we have invested in another of their resorts for the years to come. We (my family) love the Royal Resorts.

Room Tip: Higher floors give you a better view of the ocean. We have the 11th floor and love the location. V...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Cynthia J P
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My family and I stayed here in Feb. The resort is clean and the rooms are spacious we had a 2 bedroom suite and there were 6 of us with plenty of room. This is a very quiet resort with not much going on.
They cater to the much older crowd (we are in our 50s and the crowd seemed much older) not as friendly as most resorts I have been to but we had 6 of us in our group and enjoyed ourselves.
We found the employees very nice and friendly. The grounds were beautiful and the beach is beautiful...(I love Mexico and have been at least 9 times) this part of the beach in Cancun has alot of red flags as it is rough so you have to be careful if you are a swimmer. The beach itself is beautiful ....
Our room had a nice size balcony and we faced the ocean It was a beautiful view from our balcony.
So I hear the resort is going All-inclusive ..I think that is a big mistake a lot of people do not like the All -inclusive and the beauty of this resort is you have a beautiful suite to have meals in if so desired. Personally we loved having breakfast and lunch at the restaurant’s at the resort and went out for dinners most nights (ordered pizza one night from the hotel with a birthday cake and it was great) loved the fact we were not forced to have dinners at the resort with all inclusive. I really hope they don't do the all-inclusive our family will have to look at other resorts that are not all inclusive …
So all in all this is a nice resort... :)

Room Tip: Ask for a Ocean front room.........
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Pattileah
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Caribbean for week with our neighbors, who own a timeshare there. My neighbors have gone every year for the past 12 years or so, and they rave about this place. This was our first time, and we loved it.

The accommodations are very nice and spacious. We shared a villa with our neighbors -- we stayed in the separate guest room with its own entrance. The common area has a nicely furnished living room/dining area and a galley kitchen. The rooms and the grounds are very clean. The beach is very nice and great for walking, though the surf was rough during our visit, and we spent most of the time by the pool. The people who worked at the resort were very friendly.

The food at the resort was good, but nothing special. We had dinner one night at Paco's Tacos at the neighboring Royal Islander resort, that was just so so. We had dinner one night at the Tradewinds at Royal Caribbean (barbecue night), that was good. We had lunch every day at the resort, either at the pool or in Tradewinds. The first day I had a hamburger which didn't taste like it was all beef, I had pizza most of the other days. We had dinner outside the resort 3 nights, twice at La Destileria (which we loved), once at Captain's Cove (didn't love that as much). Both restaurants offer discounts to Royal Resorts guests, and Captain's Cove lets you charge the meal to the resort.

If we could go to Cancun every year, and the price was right, we would consider buying a timeshare at Royal Caribbean (or one of the other Royal Resorts).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends