“Nice resort for the older crowd”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #34 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Williamsville, NY
“Nice resort for the older crowd”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My family and I stayed here in Feb. The resort is clean and the rooms are spacious we had a 2 bedroom suite and there were 6 of us with plenty of room. This is a very quiet resort with not much going on.
They cater to the much older crowd (we are in our 50s and the crowd seemed much older) not as friendly as most resorts I have been to but we had 6 of us in our group and enjoyed ourselves.
We found the employees very nice and friendly. The grounds were beautiful and the beach is beautiful...(I love Mexico and have been at least 9 times) this part of the beach in Cancun has alot of red flags as it is rough so you have to be careful if you are a swimmer. The beach itself is beautiful ....
Our room had a nice size balcony and we faced the ocean It was a beautiful view from our balcony.
So I hear the resort is going All-inclusive ..I think that is a big mistake a lot of people do not like the All -inclusive and the beauty of this resort is you have a beautiful suite to have meals in if so desired. Personally we loved having breakfast and lunch at the restaurant’s at the resort and went out for dinners most nights (ordered pizza one night from the hotel with a birthday cake and it was great) loved the fact we were not forced to have dinners at the resort with all inclusive. I really hope they don't do the all-inclusive our family will have to look at other resorts that are not all inclusive …
So all in all this is a nice resort... :)

Room Tip: Ask for a Ocean front room.........
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pattileah
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Caribbean for week with our neighbors, who own a timeshare there. My neighbors have gone every year for the past 12 years or so, and they rave about this place. This was our first time, and we loved it.

The accommodations are very nice and spacious. We shared a villa with our neighbors -- we stayed in the separate guest room with its own entrance. The common area has a nicely furnished living room/dining area and a galley kitchen. The rooms and the grounds are very clean. The beach is very nice and great for walking, though the surf was rough during our visit, and we spent most of the time by the pool. The people who worked at the resort were very friendly.

The food at the resort was good, but nothing special. We had dinner one night at Paco's Tacos at the neighboring Royal Islander resort, that was just so so. We had dinner one night at the Tradewinds at Royal Caribbean (barbecue night), that was good. We had lunch every day at the resort, either at the pool or in Tradewinds. The first day I had a hamburger which didn't taste like it was all beef, I had pizza most of the other days. We had dinner outside the resort 3 nights, twice at La Destileria (which we loved), once at Captain's Cove (didn't love that as much). Both restaurants offer discounts to Royal Resorts guests, and Captain's Cove lets you charge the meal to the resort.

If we could go to Cancun every year, and the price was right, we would consider buying a timeshare at Royal Caribbean (or one of the other Royal Resorts).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DeeEss
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We are timeshare owners at the Royal Carribean and have been coming here since. 1988 - so we maybe biased! This resort is always perfect. The villas are nice sized and very well maintained. The grounds and the pools are wonderful. The maids and everyone else here are always interested in you having a great time. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: If bringing kids get a room on the 4th floor (poolside) as it is most convenient. If you are lookin...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom P
Webster, New York
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My trip to the Royal Caribbean Cancun (5/5-5/12/12) was one of the best vacations of my life. It did help that I traveled with 4 other great girls and Cancun is beautiful! But the resort was the icing on the cake. The service, convenience and friendly staff made this trip one of my best ever. From the moment we arrived at the resort service was outstanding. They were there to greet us and allowed us to check in early (way early like at noon!) so that we could change into our bathing suits and head to the pool. The amazing service continued with our daily maid service! I have never been to a timeshare that did this for free! This resort is all about impecable service, we had a personal concierge, the pool and beach wait staff were very attentive and the evening front desk gentleman actually knowing our group and my name. Wow!

The resort made it so easy to pay for things by giving all 5 of us our own individual cards that we used to pay for stuff on any of the Royal Resort and our excursions. Then at checkout we all had our own charges and didn't have to worry about dividing up the bill. This made it so easy! Perfect place for a friends trip because of this convenience feature. They also have a Thomas Moore tour desk on the property so that we could set up excursions. I would definitely recommend the Puerto Morales snorkeling trip! The Mayan Adventure trip was cool too but our guide was kind of a jerk. We went on 2 zip lines, a rappel, kayaking, into a Cenote, and looked at ruins so this made the trip cool.

Ok a bit more on service. Our concierge was Yael and he was great. The hotel took us on a city tour that included shopping and eating at a local restaurant our second night. I was looking at rings at the store and found one I loved. I was totally prepared to pay what they asked for it when Yael stepped in and asked me how much. He got the price reduced by $100. Awesome. Thursday night he met us at a club called Coco Bongo, this is a must for anyone from 20-50 something! Now Thursday he normally leaves work at 3pm. The club opens at 10 and he was there to meet our transport van. He set up VIP acess which prevented us from waiting in line, got us a table near the front of the stage and our own waiter. Yael poured the last of us into a cab at 4am. He stayed with us the entire night! He told us he was new to the Royal Resorts, they definitely picked a good employee! He was very attentive, entertaining (love your expressions) and professional. Thanks Yael from your 5 girls! :)

I also started and ended the week with beach massages and would recommend this to everyone. They were very reasonably priced, not sure if it was because my trip was a little off season but when I booked with my friend it was $50 each for a 50 minute massage. I had Eduardo and he was fabulous! Oh and if you do this wear a bikini! I wore a tankini and ended up flashing 1 side of the hotel. Eduardo was amused and made light of it which quickly ended my embarassment.

For those of you that worry about food quality and security I didn't have any worries. I rode the bus up and down the hotel boulevard (they were great too, told you when to get off) and walked this strip of road at night. I also drank the water, ate salads and fruit. The water is purified by Cancun and then again by the hotel. We went to some really nice restaurants right on the hotel boulevard including Royal Hacienda owed by Royal resorts, an Italian Restaurant, Captains Cove (seafood) and a Thai place. (Oh and the hotel made all of our reservations.) Everything I had was excellent. If you are hanging by the pool at lunch time you can get a large frozen drink and a chicken quesadilla for about $11. And by putting up your blue service flag you don't even need to get out of your chair! If you want to get out of that chair try the fish taco's at La Palapa at the Royal Mayan, yummy! I am so happy that I didn't do an all inclusive as the food choices were great and not expensive. Dinner was generally about $40 and that always included alcohol and usually an appetizer or dessert. I just lost the 4lbs I managed to gain while I was there!

I loved this place so much that I will be heading back in the fall. I am already counting down the days. Yael get ready I might want to stay out until 4:30am this time! :)

Room Tip: No need for an ocean front room. The ocean view has a great view of the pool and the ocean, I actua...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Melissa R
McAlester, Oklahoma
Reviewed 7 June 2012

After over 20 years of visiting the Royal Caribbean I still love it here. The staff is always friendly and helpful, I would love to take them all home with me. The only thing I don't like about the resort is leaving to go home. I love the three resorts in a row so you have lots of choices or catching the shuttle to the Royal Sands or Royal Cancun (VCI). You never have to leave the Royal's.

Room Tip: Choose the full Villa for the best experience.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple