“Nice resort! Would go back.”

The Royal Caribbean
Ranked #34 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Nice resort! Would go back.”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I went solo on this trip and had a nice time. The room was clean and spacious, and I had an ocean/pool view (I think that most higher floor rooms do). The only cons were that my phone didn't consistently work (a problem in an emergency situation) and the bathtub took forever to drain. Also, they didn't provide you with any mini shampoos/conditioners. Not a huge issue, but had I known I would have brought mine from home.

The staff was friendly, although it seemed to catch them off guard to actually have someone traveling alone. And my only wish was that upon check in they took a moment to explain the options available for in-house activities (pottery, tennis, etc etc). I loved my beach/pool time, but I continued to discover activities I could have been doing, as well. I never had a problem finding a lounge chair at either the pool or the beach, although the resort was definitely not packed when I was there. Could imagine it being a problem during busier times.

I took the shortcut tour to Chichen Itza through Thomas Moore (the resorts' guides), which I highly recommend. Only negative was that it was quite pricey, but it was a great way to see the site, and we arrived before many of the tourist buses did. There are quite a few options to see Chichen Itza, but this was convenient for me and left from the hotel. Left at around 6:15A, and you were back by about 3:30P. There were about 10 of us in the van, and we had our own guide who was great.

The food was good overall, but for the price I would have expected something of higher quality. They did have a nice market on-site - a mini grocery store that had a lot of options. And I had a fridge and microwave in my room, so I could eat breakfast there. I also ate at the expensive Captain's Cove across the street, which had great fish dishes that I thought was worth the price (sauteed grouper!). It's also conveniently located next to a drug store and convenience store (with prices a little cheaper than those at the resort, obviously).

Saw a wide-range of people - families, friends, couples, and some solo travelers. Ages ranged from babies to those in their 80's, which was great to see.

The grounds were well maintained - someone was always working on something! But the plants were cared for, the buildings kept up, and the beach was clean.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank cdotravel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We went as two couples and had a great time. Our main excursions were with Edventures and
highly recommend them. We also booked some through Thomas Moore at the resort. We enjoyed the steak and lobster dinner cruise on a sailboat.

We atended a breakfast provided by our conceirge (time share shark) and were taken aback when we were told to leave a tip.

The resort was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor for better views. There are limited elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Quincy, MA
Reviewed 24 April 2012

WE traded for 3 x 2 bedroom villas through Interval International for a week long vacation with our 3 kids and both sets of our parents. From the moment we got there the staff was incredibly accomodating. The manager on duty, Pedro Chi Chanche, was fantastic and went out of his way to get the 3 villas in close proximity to each other. The villas were awesome, the resort was immaculate and the beach was fantastic. A vacation to remember and my sincere thanks to the resort staff for a great week.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Overall a great, quiet family-friendly resort. We've been going to the Royals in Cancun for over 20 years and although the properties are always well-maintained, the little things are slipping. Prices for food have gone up considerably and are now comparable to more moderately priced Smerican restaurants but the quality of the food isn't as great. They have also cut back on the number of kids' activities.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Krakim
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm delighted to read that you have been a part of our family for so many years! Thank you for the kind words towards our facilities.

Having said this, I'll be sure to pass a copy of your comments about food and activities to management, in order to follow up and be able to adjust our services as needed.

I do hope to see you back again soon. Until then, warm regards from Cancun!

Camilo Olea
Community Manager
Royal Resorts
Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Spent a week with the family over Spring Break and had a nice time. As others have said, the resort and its grounds are very nice and well mantained. The daily maid service keeps the 2 bedroom condos in great shape and the rest of the resort is always impecably clean.

The first issue to be aware of concerns the personal concierge who is instantly assigned to you at check in. The "concierge" is really a timeshare sales person and while I am used to there being such folks at all timeshares, I did not appreciate the mischaracterization. The deception extended to him telling us that they offered free transportation to their sister resort in Playa del Carmen only to find out the next day that the free transportation came with a required breakfast in town and tour of the property.

The second issue was further deception by the "concierge/marketing" team which really pushed the "in-house" excursions offered by their Thomas More tour operators. We were told the benefit of the "in-house" tours was that they would not waste time picking up passengers at other hotels but were rather exclusive to our hotel. We felt that was a good thing and booked the Tulum/Xelha tour through them. On the day of the tour we were disappointed to find out that "in-house" included all the Royal Resorts and spent 45 minutes picking up at the other Royal resorts in Cancun and took a 15 minute detour to pick up passengers at the resort in Playa del Carmen. Had we known the truth we would have booked the tour through USA Transfers and saved some money.

The last issue will not apply to most people but had a huge impact on our 8 year old son and that was that ALL the pools at the resort and the two neighboring Royal resorts are 5 feet deep except for the kiddie pool areas. As an 8 year old, my son was too old to be in the kiddie pools but could not stand in the regular pools. He still had a good time but it would have been much better if there were some 4 foot sections.

The surprising highlight of the resort was the paint your own pottery activities where the two gentlemen working there did an amazing job of adding accents to everyone's pottery and making them look amazing. We went back and did additional pieces to bring back as one of a kind souvenirs and gifts.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ChicagoDolphin
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Caribbean, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the kind words about our resort, we work hard to keep it clean and in top conditions for our members and guests.

Regarding your comments about concierges and tours, I will pass a copy of them to corporate management in order to follow up and adjust our service as required. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards from Cancun.