“Very average hotel...there are definitely much better hotels in Mexico.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Costa Cancun

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #45 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
London, England, United Kingdom
“Very average hotel...there are definitely much better hotels in Mexico.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

To be honest I don't think the hotel was a 4* hotel. But let me start with the positives; the location is very good, we were situated right next the bus stop where it takes 5-10 mins to the local shops & shopping centres & the bus service is excellent. The bar was also very good, we got an all inclusive package so that meant 24/7 alcohol, which we definitely took advantage of, the bar staff were also very good in particular a gentleman named Miguel, who definitely made us laugh all throughout our 2 week stay. The swimming pool was very nice & clean also so that was nice. The lunch time menus were particularly appealing & their grilled & fried fish was amazing!

Now on to the negatives, bar the staff at the bar the hotel staff were extremely rude & unpleasant, spoke to us as if we were inferior. It took us a very long time to check in & after all of the fuss they put us in rooms far away from my friends. They also tried to tell us that there was no room at the hotel, just to avoid giving us the upgraded room at no extra cost, which we eventually managed to get, I must say that room we had was very nice, an excellent shower. I didnt particularly like the variation of food as it became repetitive. Also, my main issue which I found disgusting was their policy for visitors, absolutely abysmal. They completely disregard the fact the as visitors we paid a lot of money & then they expect us to want to pay more money for visitors. Yes I understand that visitors cannot indulge in the all inclusive facilities but its unacceptable that to visit someone they charge $80 & also they sometimes pocket the money for themselves & make up prices as they go along. In the UK we are allowed to have visitors coming to their hotels so why not at the Barcelo Costa. When addressing the issue the staff were so rude to the point it made me very angry!!
Also they need more English speaking staff as I felt it was very rude for them to speak to each other in spanish in front of us, very disrespectful. Maybe what they should do is allow vistors into the hotel but to use the facilities for the day give them a different coloured wristband or something & apply a charge that way...seems reasonable. A lot of people in the UK have complained about this & unless the makes drastic changes then the y will lose money every year.

Yet another negative there were too many English people at the hotel...all I saw were drunken football fans making fools of themselves. If I wanted to be in that kind of environment then I would go to benidorm & not sit on a plane for nearly 11 hours. The negatives definitely outweigh the postives & I would just not settle for the cheapest deal next time, tempatations is a much better hotel. So well done guys....1 unhappy customer!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
, Marketing Office at Occidental Costa Cancun, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Sir
Receive a warm salute from Barceló Costa Cancún
I hope this message finds you well. Customer’s feedback is very important to us. I have reviewed this claim regarding your recent trip to our hotel and I am deeply sorry that you encountered some issues during your stay, because customer satisfaction is our top priority and it seems that you didn´t have an entirely pleasing holiday . Although we work really hard in order to guarantee a worry free vacation.

I assure you that all departments involved on this claim where well informed about it, corrective measures and evaluation will be taken.

Once again, I reiterate our apology on this matter and hope to have an opportunity to change this bad impression and regain your confidence on a future vacation.

Regards
Marc Giesemann
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Newmarket, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

My last visit to Barcelo Costa was 18 months ago and was really looking forward to going back. I was not disappointed!
The only negative would be the amount of time it took to check-in. The reception staff I found were a little rude and a little unhelpful, however I remembered this from my first visit so was prepared.
We were in Room 119 on the groundfloor, I was quite happy with this as it was only 20 feet away from the pool and I could be on a sun lounger straight from our patio. The room was clean and again the mini fridge was stocked daily. The maid service was great, definately deserved a tip!
We ate in all the restaurants this time, our favourite being the Mexico Lindos restaurant, the food was cooked superbly. At Lunch times we ate in the Claraboya restaurant to give a bit of variety. This was either a buffet or waiter service depending on the day.
The poolside service was awesome, I never had to wait for a drink to be brought to myself.
Every morning by the pool Carmen brought me a sprite without asking, fantastic!
The entertainment team were so much better than last year, I found they were a little too pushy before, this time they were much better. Julio particularly good!
Evening entertainment was good, if not a little cheesey at times, but Michael Jackson and the Casino evenings were particularly good fun!
Will leave it a little longer before going back...but will defintely go back in the future!
A Great Hotel, A great Holiday!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank emirates123
Dear Customer,
Greetings, thanks for choosing Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us,
Thanks for taking time to value and rate our product and services,
We hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you happen to visit Cancun in the future.
With best regards,
Marc Giesemann
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

nice hotel,i always book with the barcelo company. lovely sea and exellent resturants.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joesims
Dear Sir,
Greetings from Barceló Costa Cancún It was a pleasure to have you with us. We appreciate taking time to review our services, and I am glad you have rated most of our services very high.
I would be checking on the issue related to your room booking.

Penarth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

On arriving to the Hotel there were local girls chatting to the reception whom were clearly having a laugh at our expense, after pre booking a twin double room they tried to palm myself and a friend off with a ground floor room with only one double bed, we arrived on the Saturday, had travelled a long way, were subdued to 2 and a half hours wait at the airport and were only staying for one week, after twenty minutes of pleading and protesting at the counter they offered us a camp bed and said they would swap us on the Monday, i refused as we were only staying 1 week and i said they should swap someone else whom was staying for 2 weeks, only when we threatened to leave the Hotel did the receptionist finaly move us to the 5th floor,oh and what a difference a beautiful, double twin, with pool and sea view, wonderful air conditioning, walk in shower and spotlessly clean, staff mostly friendly( the odd overworked grumpy waiter) but mainly curtious and polite, the food was lovely and i defy anyone not to find something they like at the marvelous buffet style restaurant, the beach was a dock beach but ten minutes down the road was where you see the sea and the waves rolling in along the coast by crown Paradise, some lovely trips, use phone card to phone home as much cheaper than roaming on mobile or p.c.

Room Tip: Make sure you pre book a double twin and avoid the ground floor if you can, remember there is a basi...