“Superior room only superior to a tent” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Costa Cancun

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #45 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Superior room only superior to a tent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

If you decide to go to this hotel do not book a superior room.nothing suprior about this choice of room at all.I booked a sea view room to be given a room overlooking the pool when i complained they said that was what they called a sea view because you can still see it in the backround very missleading.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My boyfriend booked a trip down to this resort for 2 weeks with his friends and I suddenly had a chance to fly down myself. So I took a flight to Cancun and the plan was to pay for an extra person in the room that my boyfriend was staying in. It was 1000 pesos a night, which I expect for an all inclusive hotel but the staff, especially the management was extremely rude and disrespectful. The last night that we stayed in the hotel they changed the clocks all over Mexico one hour forward, which we had absolutely no idea about. The staff never mentioned this, and the little sign at the check in was not helpful at all. As nicely as we apologized for being 45 minutes late from the check out we had to pay for the extra day. Plus the manager treated me very rudely, telling me I have no right to talk to him as I am not the real guest in the hotel although I paid 1000 pesos a night to be there! On top of this they called a security behind us to make sure that we pay for the extra time, all very humiliating and outrageing! I will NEVER stay in this hotel again or recommend it to anyone! Not worth the money for the food or the drinks, I found a huge cockroach in our bathroom and the management should understand that altough we are in our mid twenties, we are paying customers and deserve to be treated with respect!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Julie W
McLean
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

My friend and I stayed from 17-21 April with the all-inclusive option. When we arrived at the hotel at noon, we were told we cannot check-in until 3:00pm. When I asked if a room would be available sooner (so we wouldn't have to wait 3 hours), we were given a blunt "no" by the front desk. After we checked in, the bellhop said to leave our luggage in the lobby. We were uncomfortable with that since the lobby is not secure (the luggage would be sitting out in the open for anyone to walk away with). When I asked the front desk where we can put our luggage in a secure place, they said to just leave it in the lobby (as the bellhop said) and that "every guest does this." When I expressed I was uncomfortable with leaving my luggage unsecured, she further went to tell us that we cannot take our luggage to the buffet lunch (where we were waiting for 3 hours). We then proceeded to drag our luggage with us to the lunch buffet. We were also told by a staff tour guide that since we were not leaving our luggage with them, he would not given us the tour of the hotel. No one at the lunch buffet said our suitcases were unwelcome. After 1 hr 45 minutes of waiting for our room, my friend went to see if we could enter our room, and was finally given a key (this proved you can disregard the staff who told us our room wouldn't be ready until 3:00pm). When we dragged our luggage to the 5th floor (the bellhop did not offer to assist), we found that our room had a king bed, and not two beds like we had requested. We then had to ask for another room, which ended up on the 4th floor. The room was nice and had a nice view. Other than the front desk staff's complete lack of customer service, we found that the hotel's location is not quite on "the strip", so bus rides to the center of town were longer than expected. We used the hotel's excursion service to book a trip to Isla Mujeres (a must-do!), and my credit card had fraudulent charges shortly after, so I recommend using cash if booking through them.
The waiters at the buffet breakfast and lunch were excellent. We found out that to have dinner at one of the sit-down restaurants, we have to make a reservation at the front desk between 7am and 3pm the day of. Since we were not told this upon check-in, the buffet was our only option the first night. The second day, we made a reservation and it turns out they only accept reservations on the day of the dinner (you cannot make reservations a day in advance). Also, of the 3 restaurants, a different one is closed every night, so you only have an option of 2 restaurants for dinner. That being said, the food and service at both the seafood and Mexican restaurants was excellent.
There are plenty of lounge chairs out at the beach, which is scenic. We tried sitting at the pool, but the daytime and evening "entertainment" (loud obnoxious music) was so annoying that we resorted to the beach each day. We found it strange to have to go to the front desk to get pool/beach towels.
The bartenders were all very good, especially the bar at the beach. Alcohol is plentiful and the bar service was great. The maid service was average. One morning, the maid left only one towel (for 2 occupants), so we had to call up for another one, which took 40 minutes to arrive. The telephone didn't work- we were unable to dial the front desk or Housekeeping, so we had to dial the hotel operator each time and request to be connected. The room was mostly clean. The shower was large, except it didn't drain well, so the water pooled in the middle of the shower, away from the drain.
I will not return to this hotel we had to deal with a lot of nonsense while we were there to relax.

Room Tip: If you don't want loud party noise (hotel entertainment) from 10-11pm, choose a room away from t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank skaparna
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We went for a spring break vacation and the difference w/ this trip was there were alot of younger people at this hotel, many from the UK, loud and drunk. Other than that, this hotel would be great for families. Close to city, 10 min. We took the local bus which is 8.5 pesos, food was ok, kind of boring after 6 days of the same thing though. The beach isnt very large, and faces north, lots of palm trees for those interested in shady spots. Staff were nice, rooms are about a three star. Had to move 3x; first room was on main level near lobby/bar/elevators and way too loud. Second room didnt have air conditioning, third time was the charm.

Room Tip: When travelling with your family,, ask to be put in the family area of hotel...they usually try to s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanna T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel , I couldn't have picked a better place to stay the staff couldnt do enough for you , the rooms were always clean , the food and drink was spot on , just by the beech , the clubs were a bus ring away , everyone I spoke to said how nice it was , I'm going back next year . Mike g Essex

Stayed April 2012