“Good location, ok beach and nice staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Costa Cancun

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #49 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Good location, ok beach and nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

We went for a spring break vacation and the difference w/ this trip was there were alot of younger people at this hotel, many from the UK, loud and drunk. Other than that, this hotel would be great for families. Close to city, 10 min. We took the local bus which is 8.5 pesos, food was ok, kind of boring after 6 days of the same thing though. The beach isnt very large, and faces north, lots of palm trees for those interested in shady spots. Staff were nice, rooms are about a three star. Had to move 3x; first room was on main level near lobby/bar/elevators and way too loud. Second room didnt have air conditioning, third time was the charm.

Room Tip: When travelling with your family,, ask to be put in the family area of hotel...they usually try to s...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanna T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at this hotel , I couldn't have picked a better place to stay the staff couldnt do enough for you , the rooms were always clean , the food and drink was spot on , just by the beech , the clubs were a bus ring away , everyone I spoke to said how nice it was , I'm going back next year . Mike g Essex

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Mike G
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I went with my boyfriend and his family. We are from Canada, however we met up with family from England as well. There was a total of 11 of us. Each and everyone one of us said that we would return to this resort and that we were very pleased.

The rooms - Are extremely nice and kept clean. The showers The maid service comes everyday, unless you tell them not to. Everything in the room is always fully stocked. The only thing that we all found was that the beds were a bit hard, but definitely nothing to fuss over.

The service - We were extremely fortunate with our services. Because we were such a large group you would think it was hard to accommodate all of us to eat together at the same table, however the staff at Barcelo Costa Cancun did not struggle with that. Everyone was so friendly and always smiling. Constantly serving us drinks and making sure we felt comfortable.

The food - The food was really good. The lunch and dinners had a lot of variety. While we stayed there we have BBQ Night, Japanese Night, Mexican Night, Seafood Night, and a couple others. The restaurants are amazing. We didn't have to wake up extra early to make any reservations. In fact, after our first dinner there, the waiters enjoyed our company so much that they actually approached us by the pool and asked if we wanted to come back that night. No reservations, they just accommodated our large group! The food was very tasty.
The only thing that I think they could of had more variety is the breakfast. It was sort of the same thing all the time which after 10 days can get a little boring.

The Entertainment - This was my favorite part! Every night there was something going on. Starting at 9 and ending at 10. It wasn't too early but it wasn't so late that it kept people from sleeping. We had a Michael Jackson impersonator one night, kereoke one night, circus night, hip-hop dances one night and a few others as well. It was great and got the mood set for the night. We also went on the pirate ship! What an AMAZING TIME. The show was hilarious and very well done. The food was great, you can either get steak or lobster. The whole family had an excellent time!!!!

The Pool/Beach - These areas were always kept clean. Everyday you see someone cleaning up the seaweed and also cleaning the pool constantly. We never had any troubles finding a place in the sun or the shade and towards the end of the holiday, our resort had 100% capacity. There is more than enough chairs and space to relax and suntan. I also read on a couple reviews that the pirate ships block your view from the ocean. This is BY FAR FROM THE TRUTH. They are off to the right hand side and you have a clear view of the sea.

Everyone in our group was so pleased with the outcome of the resort we chose. It's all in your perspective. If you are LOOKING to find things to be upset or disappointed with then that's what you are going to get. If you go there with an open mind and stay positive, then everything will be good around you. I find it quite annoying that people will seriously nit pick at everything and anything and scare people away. I was one of those. I booked my vacation 7 months ago and I would come on here every so often, so afraid of what I was getting myself into once I read some of the reviews. But trust me, its nothing short of amazing. The fact that 11 of us all said we would come back again and spend the money, must mean something!

Go to Barcelo Costa Cancun, you will not be disappointed.

Also, if you are going with a young child. They have a kids club where all the kids go and play and they do fun little games and watch movies and play video games. Also someone comes around each morning to play the guessing came and you can win prizes with their trivia questions. There is also water aerobics every morning in the pool. I could go on and on about this resort, but they seriously always have something going on to keep their guests entertained.

Room Tip: The higher up you are the better view of the water. My room was above the stage which got quite loud...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank iTravelEdmonton
Newmarket, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Arrival: 27 March - 4 April Excellent arrival at the Airport, nothing unusual here.

Rooms: Outstanding room, marble throughout, Clean, great view, Bar fridge stocked every day with booze, pop, water and snacks.

Restaurants and Bars: Three restaurants and a buffet, very good food in all three restaurants. Mexico restaurant the best.

Beach/Pools/Grounds:Beach is a little small, lots of chairs both pool and beach, white sand and cool clear water was great. Grounds were very clean.

Activities on and off the Resort/Hotel: We didn't do any activities in the resort, just lounged by the beach every day. We did the Xel-Ha tour. This one is a must. It is a little pricy, but worth it.Other Comments:This is our third time to Cancun, first time to this resort. A must return. We had a great week, Weather was 85 - 90 all week.[<<less]

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FunSun G
Jackson, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I just returned yesterday with my family from a 7 day stay at Barcelo Costa Cancun. I was very nervous about what to expect after reading the reviews from "never go there" to "best resort", but I tried to keep an open mind since everyone does have different expectations. My husband and I had just been to Now Jade in November that is south of Cancun so I guess that is what we may have been more expecting. Reading the reviews did help me right off the start when we arrived because the hotel tried to put us in a room that was a level down from what we had paid for. We had paid for an ocean front Deluxe room. The bell hop took us to a room that had no walk out balcony and a tiny bathroom! Not at all what my pictures had shown me, so it was good that I was well aware of what my room should have. I went back to the front desk and they put us in room 103. Not bad, except when I asked them if we could have a higher floor the girl told me there was only 2 floors with this type of room request. That was not true because there were 4 more floors above us! When I asked again if we could move higher up for the view they told me there were no rooms available and to check back the next day. The front desk staff was not very friendly at all. We did check back a few times with no luck, so we stayed in this room for the entire stay. It was nice to be able to just walk out to the beach and right around the corner was the beach bar. The room itself was comfortable but looked like it could have been more kept up. My husband hated the beds because they were very firm and we only had double size beds.

The food at all the places was good. We brought our 12 and 17 years old sons so they enjoyed the buffets better for the variety, where my husband and I would prefer the individual restaurants for the better service. The staff at Mexico Lindo were great.

I wish we had been closer to walk to other places, but this hotel is not right in the hotel zone. We took the city bus a few times to go shopping and eat elsewhere a few nights. Hold on when you ride the busses here! Its like riding at a Nascar Race! I'm surprised more pedestrians are not killed walking across the roads.

Every night they have a different show starting at 9:00 and running for about 45 mins. This is nice to have something going every night for entertainment. They also have vendors selling their goods at one end of the pool for souvenirs. We bought a few items to bring home from them. Again, always try to come down from their original price offer.

The best staff seem to be the bartenders at the beach bar. The hotel lobby bar always had grumpy bartenders, whereas the beach were more friendly to my husband, me and boys! We loved Edgar, he was always smiling and joking with us and providing good service.

Overall this resort was very average. To us it seemed like the local Holiday Inn in the US. I would have rathered stayed somewhere else, even if I had to spend a little bit more money. Our trip in the fall was the same price at Now Jade Resort and it provided much better service and quality.

Even though I wouldn't say this is a terrible place, I would recommend another resort for about the same or little bit more money for better accomodations and luxury.

Room Tip: Even though we liked walking directly out to the beach, the nightly shows that took place used our f...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family