“Quite average, middle of the road resort”

Occidental Costa Cancun
Ranked #45 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Jackson, MI
“Quite average, middle of the road resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I just returned yesterday with my family from a 7 day stay at Barcelo Costa Cancun. I was very nervous about what to expect after reading the reviews from "never go there" to "best resort", but I tried to keep an open mind since everyone does have different expectations. My husband and I had just been to Now Jade in November that is south of Cancun so I guess that is what we may have been more expecting. Reading the reviews did help me right off the start when we arrived because the hotel tried to put us in a room that was a level down from what we had paid for. We had paid for an ocean front Deluxe room. The bell hop took us to a room that had no walk out balcony and a tiny bathroom! Not at all what my pictures had shown me, so it was good that I was well aware of what my room should have. I went back to the front desk and they put us in room 103. Not bad, except when I asked them if we could have a higher floor the girl told me there was only 2 floors with this type of room request. That was not true because there were 4 more floors above us! When I asked again if we could move higher up for the view they told me there were no rooms available and to check back the next day. The front desk staff was not very friendly at all. We did check back a few times with no luck, so we stayed in this room for the entire stay. It was nice to be able to just walk out to the beach and right around the corner was the beach bar. The room itself was comfortable but looked like it could have been more kept up. My husband hated the beds because they were very firm and we only had double size beds.

The food at all the places was good. We brought our 12 and 17 years old sons so they enjoyed the buffets better for the variety, where my husband and I would prefer the individual restaurants for the better service. The staff at Mexico Lindo were great.

I wish we had been closer to walk to other places, but this hotel is not right in the hotel zone. We took the city bus a few times to go shopping and eat elsewhere a few nights. Hold on when you ride the busses here! Its like riding at a Nascar Race! I'm surprised more pedestrians are not killed walking across the roads.

Every night they have a different show starting at 9:00 and running for about 45 mins. This is nice to have something going every night for entertainment. They also have vendors selling their goods at one end of the pool for souvenirs. We bought a few items to bring home from them. Again, always try to come down from their original price offer.

The best staff seem to be the bartenders at the beach bar. The hotel lobby bar always had grumpy bartenders, whereas the beach were more friendly to my husband, me and boys! We loved Edgar, he was always smiling and joking with us and providing good service.

Overall this resort was very average. To us it seemed like the local Holiday Inn in the US. I would have rathered stayed somewhere else, even if I had to spend a little bit more money. Our trip in the fall was the same price at Now Jade Resort and it provided much better service and quality.

Even though I wouldn't say this is a terrible place, I would recommend another resort for about the same or little bit more money for better accomodations and luxury.

Room Tip: Even though we liked walking directly out to the beach, the nightly shows that took place used our f...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Michigander3
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I came here quite a few years ago with family, but I thought it deserved a review. We came when it was changing over to Barcelo and so I noticed the changes they were making by taking over (such as no longer being able to get ice cream from the buffet place inbetween meal times :( haha). Overall I thought the hotel was in a very good location and loved the private beach. The animation team were fantastic and so friendly (was quite young when I came here haha). I would reccomend the nearby pirate boats, they were well worth the trip, such a joy and really good atmopshere! Worth the money.
I was so young and unaware when I came here I literally thought everybody would be wearing sombrero's etc! Haha. Visited the nearest mall thing and enjoyed that, it had a shop (c and a I think?) that apparently used to be in Britain, which was in the mall which was really good.
Don't really remember much about it, view from hotel is really good, the sea is nice etc. I remember a group of German's not taking part in the pool games and making their own in the sea but oh well what can you say eh.
The food was good too. Would be nice to go back and see how it has changed even more since Barcelo has fully taken over.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rissCantrill_
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Loved this resort! When we arrived our timing was perfect, no line, quick to check in. (Edith was very helpful and friendly) We had booked a Superior room (regular room) but decided when we got there that we really want to wake up to a view of the Caribbean sea every day so we upgraded to an ocean view room for an extra $40 per night. I had read on here that someone else recommended to do that and I'm so glad we did. One thing that was a bit confusing is when you go into the room, the light switch didn't work, or so we thought. It turns out they have a great method for saving power, you have to put your room card key into a slot in the entryway and then the power comes on. Our room was very nice and clean. I've never seen a bigger shower! They recommend you brush your teeth with bottled water instead of tap water and they supply bottled water so this was very convenient.
It was great sitting on the balcony or lying on the hammock every evening before dinner. The first night we ate at the buffet, the food was great - mole chicken, chorizo potatoes, red rice, flan, churros - we loved sampling the Mexican food but if you wanted there was plenty of north american style food too. I've been to about 8 all inclusive resorts in different countries and I'd say this place had the friendliest staff. They really go above and beyond. They're really patient if you want to practice your Spanish and after a few days they got to know my particular likes and knew what I wanted before I asked for it. If you take the time to get to know them, they do the same. It was nice when they were calling us by name. We tipped a lot but I got the feeling that we would have been treated the same as they are genuinely friendly people. Julio, Juan, Ernesto, Emmanuel, Javier, Pepe, Carlos, Seney, Edgar, and many more, they really understand customer service.
The only thing bad about this place is what the guests did, nothing to do with the staff or the facilities. We were woken up the first 2 nights but loud, inconsiderate people coming back to their rooms. The third night we were woken up by people next door who were fighting. We called the front desk and within minutes they sent security up and then there was peace and quiet. We were very impressed at the quick response. Bring ear plugs just in case.The other thing that guests do is leave their cigarette butts on the beach. To me that is downright obnoxious to polute the sand especially when there are ashtrays everywhere. We are guests in their country and should respect it. It's a lovely, white, powdery sand beach. Lots of beach chairs. The water is calm, perfect for taking a dip.
Shopping - a quick bus ride took us to the Market 28. It's huge and has every souvenir you'd want. Make sure you barter, a beach towel started at $65 US and we got it for $20. (But then we went to Walmart and they were about $10!) Whatever you do don't pay the first price they ask for. I was amazed that they took Canadian money. One guy said he preferred it to U.S. dollars. Make sure you remember where you came in. The market is big and it's easy to lose your sense of direction. It was great drinking a beer and shopping. You can't do that in Canada!
The store in the hotel is expensive. If you walk out of the hotel, turn right and walk a few blocks, there is a pharmacy/liquor/convenience store. Prices are better there. You have to cross the street, very busy, remember pedestrians don't have the right of way in Mexico.
Yes there are timeshare people hanging out in the lobby. White tops, tan pants. They keep asking you if you want a 'gold card' to give you discounts. I had read on here about them so we were forewarned because of course they don't identify themselves as timeshare. They called our room several times and I finally said "please stop calling" and they did. They are timeshare people whatever country you go to, so don't hold this against the hotel. Barcelo Costa is a great place to stay. We had a solid week of relaxation. We'll be back!

Room Tip: request ocean view room, away from elevators and ice machines.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank L M
Little Rock, AR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Beautiful resort with decent food. Make sure you get your reservation for Mexico Lindo, one of the reservation only dinner restaurants. It is really good. Fajitas are great. The beach was a disappointment as it is only 410 square feet of the bay, no crashing waves. But the public beach - Dolphin Beach - is a short and cheap bus ride away. Just $1 per person each way. It is absolutely beautiful. I would recommend getting a junior suite instead of a regular room. Much nicer with full balcony, large bathroom and hammock on the balcony. Our trip was during Spring Break week - if you want quiet - don't go then. Also, the water is safe to drink at the restaurants because it is bottled. Nightly shows were very good and we were surprised that the vendors at the mini flea market around the pool each evening were cheaper than other vendors in town and surrounding areas. This is a nice, small resort with a friendly staff and it is very clean. Tour group services in the lobby were very helpful and fun. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a junior suite with a balcony. It's worth the extra money. Staying over the be...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel was amaing, the staff was fantastic and we enjoyed ourselves so much. The room was cleaned everyday in great prestine condition. The only problem is we had a very small balcony. The staff was so nice and really enjoyed their company and the way they treated people was amazing. The reps who arranged games was friendly and we got on with them well. They made the day even more enjoyable then ever with pool games where you could win t-shirts and also taking you out on night outs. The odd night i felt the food was a bit poor but most times it was amazing especially the Mexican resturant. If your looking for a fun, relaxing, and fantastic experience this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Be nice to staff and they will make your trip even more excitable.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple