“Affordable place”

Ranked #39 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Affordable place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Went with 2 friends to Omni Cancun to celebrate her pending marriage (booked via Costco). We went during what seemed to be a slow season (after the spring breaks) so there didn't seem to that many people here.

Location
============
The hotel itself is not walking distance to the Kukulcan mall, La Isla Plaza, and Coco Bongo. There is, however, a restaurant directly across the hotel (Willy's Something) and a quickymart but we did not visit either. We ended up having to either take the bus or car to go anywhere.

Activities
============
Most days, they had nightly entertainment ranging from a "Lion King/Tarzan Dance", "Oriental Night", "Mexico Night".. - these were mostly dancing type shows with maybe some acrobatics. They also had the standard "day" activites like yoga, bingo, and pool volley ball although not many people participated all the time.

============
The buffet was as expected - although I was disappointed on the lack of choices. They tried to change the food up a little each day. The breakfast was also average - they serve turkey or pork sausages, but no bacon >_<. There is a cook stationed for eggs so at least you can request freshly cooked eggs. My favorite was the taco restaurant, which was only open certain days at night. The problem with this place is it always seems empty (it's outdoors) and the cook doesn't seem too friendly. We were standing around a few minutes waiting for him to ask us what we wanted.. and he seemed to ignore us. Only when I took the initiative and told him, did he acknowledge me. Several other guests were confused as well (they just stood there too). The sign on the restaurant says "self serve", but it's really not. You order with the cook and pick it up when he's done cooking it.
I was also surprised and disappointed the resort limits the amount of times you can go to the "fancy" restaurants, considering it's "all inclusive". We were staying only 4 nights and wanted to try out both Da Vinci and Pina Colada for dinner, but they only allowed us to pick 1 restaurant for 1 night reservation. They told us that if we had stayed 5 nights, we could reserve both. Either that or we could PAY to reserve at the other restaurant (no thanks). Da Vinci was ok, but make sure to order more than just an appetizer and entree. (Feel free to order a salad, soup, and another appetizer if you like!). The appetizers seem to be pretty small. The only thing was later that night my stomach didn't feel so good and I had bathroom issues (not sure what I ate made it act up!) I'm surprised it that all the food I ate at the buffet and other "casual" restaurants didn't give me problems, but the Da Vinci did. >_<!

The Resort
==============
The place itself is nice, however you DO see some flaws. The elevator button is cracked and on 1 elevator, the 14th floor reads "1" instead. There are only 2 main pools. The main swim up bar is always crowded and has kids there since it's a walk-in pool. The other one is not as crowded and the max depth is around 4 to 4 1/2 feet deep. The outdoor jacuzzi is a nice feature, but is not hot (it's warm). We sat in it for a while thinking it was lame, until we realized there were buttons on the floor you push to turn on the jets (woops!).

The pool lounge chairs are mesh with a select few umbrellas which are usually taken. On the beach, there seems to be plenty of chairs and tables and umbrellas (but again, it wasn't too crowded). There were a handful of families and little kids.. in addition to a few pregnant women. Not that many - so there weren't too many kids running around and bothering us.

Our rooms were decent, however there was no hairdryer. We had to request it be brought up. In addition, the room was ALWAYS humid. The sheets on the bed were just SO moist, it didn't feel too good to sleep in it. It just felt wet. I don't know if it was just bad air circulation or the humidity (although it didn't feel too humid while we were there). The fan in the bathroom doesn't seem that strong either.
We had taken a fresh hot (dry) set of pool towels for the next day and stored it on the shelf. The following day when we used it, it had stunk like it had been sitting in water for several days and dried up (I guess the towels just soaked up the moisture?!). The towels were fluffy soft anymore - there were kind of hard and rough. And when I came home and opened up my suitcase, everything stunk of stale water, even if I hadn't taken it out. It might just be a casualty of visiting Mexico - I'll have to look into some kind of travel sized dehumidifier or something >_<.

Resort Credits
===============
We had a $100 resort credit and I had trouble figuring out what we could use it for. You can use it for the Spa and telephone calls (both local and international calls cost MONEY!!) But you CANNOT use it for a room upgrade. I was a little disappointed with that when I asked, and the receptionist was nice enough to upgrade us for free (to ocean view).

===============
Service was off/on. They did regular housekeeping everyday. On one day, there seemed to be a leak cause when our elevator door opened to our floor, there was at least an inch of water all over. The staff was trying to quickly clean it up. Luckily the leak did not reach our room. The concierge is helpful and nice. The waiters in the restaurants seem to be good. However, if you are at the pool or beach, they may or may not come up to you and ask you if you wanted anything. We had to flag someone down several times for drinks and food. Otherwise, you could be waiting a pretty long time.

Overall it was a solid 3 start resort, with some minor hiccups. Would I stay here again? Probably not, but it's a decent affordable option.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank paperie
sjbk, Director of Sales at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Past Omni Cancun Guests,
Thank you for taking your valuable time to provide your kind feedback through this forum.
Your insights were reviewed by our Executive Operating Committee as with all comments received so we may always find creative solutions to maximize our service and provide enhancements for all our guests.
We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Cancun and our Omni Hotel.
Scott Balesteri
Director of Sales & Marketing
Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mpls.,Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Me and my family stayed at the Omni the week of April 14-21. Let me first say that, this hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed at. My family and I take a few vacations a year and this was the most enjoyable one we have had in a very long time. The Omni has they best staff. Everyone is very friendly and more than happy to help. Clean, clean, clean...you will not find a cleaner resort! My family and I do stay in PDC alot, so the drive from the airport to the Omni is just a short 10-15min drive which is very nice with our 1 and 3yr old children. We loved the pool situation. Always plenty of chairs, towels, and a place to park. My kids loved the "kids pool" just as much as the other 2. My son loved the non-alcoholic straw daiquiri from the "swim up bar". They have a sushi bar that is fantastic....had lunch there almost every day!!!! The beach here is great as well. Huge hot tube by the beach bar, and the restaurant "Pina Colloidal" is a great sport for breakfast or lunch (very good food). The main restaurant is the buffet which is perfect for kids and had a different menu every night and is excellent. We did even order room service a couple of times, which got to the room so fast it would challenge Jimmy John's! I can't say enough about the Omni, if you are on the fence about staying here or not...go for it! You will not be disappointed! Me and my family are planning our next trip and some of our other friend are coming with...is that great!!!!!

Room Tip: If you have a family...I know it's a bit extra, but book the Villa. Well worth the upgrade for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Olas
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was my second time back to the Omni with my fiancé. The Omni is a great resort with the friendliest staff and great food and I would definitely stay there again someday.

We were immediately upgraded to an ocean view room when they found out it was our second time back to the resort. You can also get hotel wide Wi-Fi when you sign up for their rewards program which was excellent.

The food is amazing. Make sure to try the sushi bar. Enrique at the Pinna colada restaurant will make your day. I don't think we got one thing off the menu the whole trip as he remembered us from the year before and had the chef make us a special meal each day. He remembered out favorite drinks and food. If you are going to Divici make sure you book your reservation as soon as you arrive as times fill up quickly for it. The food there is excellent and has a quiet more romantic atmosphere.

Service is spectacular everywhere in this resort. I've been to quite a few resorts and this seems to be the best for service. The staff always made sure I was stocked up on drinks and snacks whether we were lounging on the beach or by the pool.

Things to note with this hotel:

There isn't much in the way of night life here. It’s more the resort to stay at if you truly want to relax. That being said you can always hop a bus from in front of the resort or grab a taxi and be in the center of the action pretty quickly.

The other thing we discovered is that the spa is not the greatest as far as skill of the staff. They are very friendly but wouldn’t but it in the higher grade of massages I've had in my life.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ashburn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I booked a trip to Omni, Cancun, through Costco travel. the very next day we reached, our 7yr old daughter cut her little toe from a loose tile in the pool. It was bleeding profusely but no one emptied the pool to check or fix the tile. When we asked for a doctor, the hotel staff's concern was to find out who is going to pay for the doctor. We tried calling the general manager a number of times but she did not return the calls. The next day I waited in the reception area to talk to her. I spent the next 20mins talking to a lady only to find out that the general manager had sent her assistant to talk to me. Later I found out that she had been in the lobby all the time I had been waiting there but did not bother to come talk to me. Our trip was ruined as our daughter could not step into the water, sea or pool, after that. We had to carry her around for sightseeing as well.
And my husband was questioned by the security men at the pool for moving an 'american' couple's towels from one chair to the other. He moved the towels as he had to accommodate another couple who had moved their towels to one of our chairs. Even though the american couple had not claimed the chair for 2hrs, according to the security men, the chairs could stay occupied even if no one came to claim them for many hours.
The management's attitude was very racist. However, the overall customer service by the local staff, waiters and barmen, was very good.
On checking out of the hotel, the hotel staff offered us $100 coupon for our stay the next time!!!
We wrote to Costco travel and they continue to advertise this deal on their website!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank S S
sjbk, Director of Sales at Omni Cancun Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear Past Omni Cancun Guests,
On behalf of all our Associates, we hope that your daughter is doing well after the unfortunate incident of cutting her toe in the pool, last year, in August, 2011. She was properly attended to by our Security team and then through the proper medical channels and upon check-out you were fully reimbursed for the medical cost, as well as given a $100.00 usd return certificate as a gesture on our behalf.
We wish though to clarify that Ms. Sol Morales, our Hospitality Manager, did speak with you, after your discussions with the Manager on Duty, on severeal ocassions and we are sorry that you felt she or any of our staff were not providing you and your family with the proper attention you needed, as we take seriously all situations and work diligently and with the utmost professionalism and compassion in giving our most warm, genuine hospitality.
Unfortunately, you did not perceive this and we apologize for not meeting your expectations.
I will though not allow the discriminatory comment you put forth in this forum and have to honestly say that we respectfully repudiate it. The Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas is a resort that welcomes everyone and we pride ourselves on being ladies and gentlemen to all our guests and fellow Associates alike.
Thank you.
Scott Balesteri
Director of Sales & Marketing
Omni Cancun Hotel & Villas
wayne,nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just got back from a 5 day stay at the Omni in Cancun. I debated on whether to give a 3 or 4 star rating, but went for the four star when I tallied up all the pluses.

What I liked:
The villa room we stayed in was massive! 2500 sq feet for just 3 girls was more than needed, but it was nice for each of us to have our own room and bathroom and still be in the same place!
The service was very very good. Waiters, house keeping, every one we met was pleasant and helpful.
The spa was fantastic. Each of us girls had a different therapist and we all were pleased! I had Gabby who gave me a body scrub, facial and hot stone message. Great 2 hour experience! Prices are as high/higher than what you can get in the states or I would have been back for more. They may want to consider lowering prices and filling up the schedule a bit more!
Food was overall very good, loved eating at Pina Coloda for the view alone.
Didn't have a hard time finding a spot in the shade when needed.
Very clean!! Room, grounds, etc. were kept spotless.
Liked the laid back vibe. Not much of a party atmosphere and we didn't want that!

What wasn't so great:
Hotel is old and showing it's age. Not as luxurious as I would expect for staying at an "Omni" property. This is especially noticeable in the rooms.
Entertainment staff can get on your nerves. If I had to hear "Lady in the Blue Bikini" one more time.....
Pool area is not laid out nicely to take advantage of the views to the ocean. This may be petty, but have enjoyed my stay better at hotels that had nicer layouts.
Lots of kids. Didn't bother me too much, but would call that out for couples/girls trip.
Would also say that the check in-check out process was overly complicated for the staff. Took way too long for both and had to ask multiple times for the $100 credit that my package came with to be applied to the room.

I liked the stay, we got a great price for the room and it worked out well.

Room Tip: Get the villa for large family gatherings. Worth it!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends