“Great with a few flaws”

Ranked #35 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Chelsea, Canada
“Great with a few flaws”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Excellent service all around, but few flaws such as:

We had to change rooms because of construction noises during the night! Went to complain at 4am and had to bring the manager back to our room to prove the drilling and hammering noises.

Reservations at Da Vinci and Deva are at only 6pm if you have children! This was not mentioned anywhere.

On the positive side, the service is excellent, premises are clean and food is excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank braz_f
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We just spent eight nights at the Omni and were pleasantly surprised.We normally stay in Puerto Morelos area (Secrets Capri or Grand Sunset Princess) but needed to be in Cancun
for a business seminar at a nearby hotel. From the arrival to departure everything was first class. We were given a nice upgrade in room category at no additional charge for being an Omni Select Guest Member(you should go online and sign up for it free of charge before traveling) and started eight wonderful days at the Omni. Food was abundant and excellent at the buffets as well as the ala carte restaurants. Da Vinca(Italian) was our favorite. The staff made our stay even more wonderful. After the first day the knew our names and treated us as if we were family. Carlos and Miguel in the buffet restaurant gave us great service and were extremely helpful with bus directions and Cancun advice in general.
After more than twenty trips to Mexico we will always strongly consider the Omni Cancun for our next Cancun resort.

Room Tip: Sign up for Omni Select Guest awards program. Free signup online Omni's website.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bob S
Indianapolis
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I have been an Omni Vacation Club Member for the past 8 years and have always looked forward to spending a week there but unfortunately there have been some changes made at the resort. Upon arriving we were told that The Omni is now a mostly all inclusive resort. Omni Club Members are charged 80.00 a day per person. We were told they have added "new restaurants." One of the new restaurants was a taco/hamburger bar by the pool. It was a self serve taco bar which was more of a snack bar not a restaurant for dinner. Pina Colada on the ocean is now open for dinner but is an Indonesian Restaurant. I don't like indonesian food and I did not go to Mexico to eat Indonesian food. When I looked in one night I only saw about 4 tables being used. I guess others don't care for Indonesian food either. They also serve dinner (pasta and pizza) at the little bar by the pool. This only has about 7 tables so if you want to eat here you have to get there early. Changes have also been made at Da Vinci, the menu has changed, portions are very small and when I asked for a glass of Zinfandel with my all inclusive meal I was told I would be charged extra for that??? My group ended up eating at the buffet just about everynight that we were on the all inclusive and we felt like we were eating the same things every night. Very disappointing. If you don't do all inclusive you have to buy "coupons" for food. You cannot order a drink or eat anywhere on the property and charge your room. If you want a drink coupon you have to play like 35.00 and you are allowed to drink for a certain number of hours in the lobby bar in the late afternoon. Very upsetting! We walked on the beach to The Marriott and had drinks and lunch there on the days that we did not do all inclusive and we went across the street to Pancho Willy's for their happy hour which was great! We also had dinner at Captain's Cove right across the street and it was our best meal of the week! Glad my membership ended this year and I will not consider buying any more with the changes that have been made. Very disappointed in The Omni.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Mary H
Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 7 March 2012

First, I always have a great experience with OMNI. We have been staying at OMNI in Orlando, FL, which great facility, great service. For that reason, we choose Omni Cancun as our stay while we were in Cancun. But we were sooooooooooo extremely dissapointed with this Omni.
Staffs were great, but we felt like the vacation club staffs ' watched ' our moves since we opted out the presentation.
it made us feel very uncomfortable, we can't eat nor drink without having to go to lobby to buy coupon. it's very inconvenient, when you sit by the pool, and you want another drink or food, you have to go to lobby to buy coupon.
You feel like ' less worthy ' since we didn't buy all inclusive.
For family with small kids, this facility probably great.
But we had terrible experience.
Won't come back to Omni Cancun for sure.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank LuisF3088
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We just came back from a 5 night stay at the Omni Resort. We had an all inclusive special for 2 adults and 2 children. I think the rack rate at the time would have been $300 USD per night and it would ahve been well worth it. We loved all of the food at the buffet, I thought they had so many selections, I don't know how one couldnt find something they liked. Frederico, might just be the best waiter I have ever had anywhere! The drinks were awesome - just strong enough and fun variety. I somehow felt obligated to have several throughout the day. :)

We also took advantage of the kids club on occasion (age 5+) and was impressed. Our little ones, age 2 and 4, were too young to leave there during the day, but, we enjoyed joining the staff and big kids on some of their activites as a family.

I took someone elses advice for a lagoon view - it was much quieter at night and we had some beautiful sunset views.

I was impressed with the quality of spa services - Pedro gives a great pedicure! And the gym was great, it was clean and had a ton of machines, everything you would need as well as a steam room when you are finished.

Besides the perfect setting. I thought the best part of the resprt was hands down the staff. Everyone, and I mean everyone who worked there was amazing. And, we go out of our way to meet and talk to a lot of people - the waitstaff, the cooks, the bartenders, the bellmen - all were so friendly and would have donw anything we needed to make sure we were having the best possible time. Make sure to tip them all well too, they sure deserve it - we brought 100+ in ones and some other small bills in USD which was great for tipping on drinks, food and other services.

I thought the rooms were new very clean. In fact, I really only like "new" (especially bathrooms)so I was a bit worried when I saw some other reviews saying the place was outdated. I sure didn't see that anywhere. Maybe we were just in a newly renovated room or something, but, it was great.

My only complaint, if I had to find one, would be that the beds were a bit hard for my liking - I did a fair amount of tossing around throughout the night. But, the comfy pool chairs made up for it the next day!

We LOVED it here and recommend for couples or families. They also know how to do beautiful weddings and corporate events - we saw them setting up for both.

Everyone we talked to was having a great time. It's just an all around quaranteed good resort.

Room Tip: Lagood view for quiet nights and a great sunset view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family