New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Beach House Imperial Laguna Cancun Hotel

Beach House Imperial Laguna Cancun Hotel
Ranked #161 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
san jose
“shady and crappy EVEN for budget hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We booked a room in this hotel, a "bay view" room. First of all, a couple of things that's not the hotel's fault: not a good location, at least 10 minutes walk away from a couple of restaurants, and a 10 minute bus's ride away from the real hotel zone and beaches. Second of all, this part of the lagoon smells BAD. It smells like something is rotting. That's what you get in the "bay view" room.

My family was looking for a budget stay since we would be taking a lot of tours all day, didn't need a resort. However, this place was just terrible. The AC is super loud and has no remote. If in the middle of the night you felt too hot or cold, you'd have to get up. For someone short like me, I'd have to climb onto a chair to adjust the settings. They have a fridge and sink section that has so much rust that no one would ever want to use it. The shower had no pressure and was cold for most of our stay.

It may be okay since this hotel is cheap; however, after two nights, the front desk guy said that they only charged us for 2 people's stay, and that since we're a family of 4 with two adults and two kids, we would have to pay 1600 pesos more. (150 USD) This was at the end of a very long day; without access to phone and internet to check what was going on, we didn't want to be kicked out. So we talked to him and he agreed to let us pay only an additional 1000 pesos, IF we pay in cash. SOOOO SHADY. I've posted some pictures of this place -- if I had seen this pictures before on tripadvisor, I would've never booked this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank tracyx
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

I had read previous reviews and sort of knew what to expect upon arriving to the hotel. The hotel is located off of Kukulcan (which is the main street). Its in a local neighborhood that is fairly safe in case you rent a vehicle. There is plenty of free parking. Our reservations had said that our room would have a kitchen. Upon checking in, we discovered that we did not have a kitchen. There was a dining room but no refrigerator or stove. We informed the front desk person of this. Her english was limited and she sort of shrugged when we asked for a room with a kitchen. She made a phone call and said someone would be down to assist us. A man came 15 minutes later and they spoke to each other but did not inform us of the outcome. We had to eventually ask them and the man (who did speak English) said that we would get a kitchen. He said that they would put an electric stove and small refrigerator in our room. The hotel staff were very friendly although not very informative due to the language barrier. If you are just looking for a cheap place to sleep this hotel will fit perfectly. The rooms do have tiny bugs and you will find them all over the room. In your luggage, on your clothes, in your bed etc. They seemed harmless though and were looking for food crumbs. We just flicked them off our bed and clothes. We did not have hot water for the first 3 days there. They had the pipes fixed eventually. Overall good hotel for the price. Don't come here if you are looking to relax at the hotel. Its just a place to sleep and store your luggage.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank dee_gigi
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

If you are looking for a place that is on par with tent camping... then maybe you'd be ok here. BUT I doubt it!!!
The AC did not work. The next room's AC did though and as their unit was right outside my patio door I could hear it going on and off all night. Also the bars close by are open until 4:00am... so be prepared to listen to techno all night and the old school AC unit
Also, it is on the lagoon... so no swimming here. No beach, just slime, seaweeds and garbage. All the lounge chairs are broken. The pool filter's door is busted off. My patio door did not lock. And best of all... "BED BUGS"! I woke up and my eye was swollen shut.

Stay away at all cost!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank BC_Girl_45

Travellers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

This might have been a nice place at one time but it was downright one of the worst places I've stayed. We had to cram into three rooms because the forth one smelled so bad you couldn't even enter the room (not exaggerating). The phone was busted, the beds contained hair, the soap in one of the bathrooms had been re-wrapped (had hair on it), the back door of the room (at ground level) had no way of locking and when they had trouble getting the key card to work for the front door they gave me a master key overnight that could open every room in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lars_5
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

When I saw the room offered to me I wanted to cry. It was depressing....I had no one else but me to blame and my Christmas and New years were ruined........I want to sob! I went back and asked if there were better options....and was asked to take a look at two other rooms...... I was beginning to feel nauseous. I was a solo traveler for two weeks waiting for my husband to join me in a couple of days.

Edy, at the front desk person saw me ready to break down and told me one room would be coming free later in the afternoon and I could take a look. Thankfully it was a breather and I was going to wait for it.

Finally at 2:00 pm i checked into room number 506 and things began to work out better than anticipated.

Gabriel is a fantastic wonderful kid/person and helped me settle in. He is always ready with solutions and can speak in English.

After reading the reviews we decided not to go for the all inclusive option and I carried some basic kitchen stuff that really came handy. Gabriel arranged for a two element/coil hot plate for cooking. Since I am vegetarian I was very persistent about my request for microwave. So glad they could provide me with one.

About 'in' the hotel:
Our stay of two weeks was actually very pleasant. Everything IS walking distance. The view was really nice. We sat out every evening and morning to enjoy beer, coffee, tequila etc. The lagoon view is nice and the music from Coco Bongo etc. is always floating around. It did not bother us at all, we quite enjoyed it. Water was coldish on few occasions..sound-proofing??? nope I knew what was happening next door. But it was not something that made us want to shoot someone.
The staff is honest. The cleaning girl, Wendy was REALLY nice. Our room was cleaned every day. She just goes about her work without expecting TIPS....you will know what I mean when u get to Cancun! It's exhausting....anyways fresh towels everyday. I took my own towels and bed sheets due to skepticism. But we were OK with the bed sheets.....the towels....only when we got white ones :)
About the kitchenette - There was a small fridge....and few forks and one spoon, cups, glasses, plates(quarter,dinner and saucer), spatula. One saucepan, fry pan - that was worn out, and a big pan. Since I carry my camping kit for long travels I was OK.

FYI - There is no coffee maker or toaster.

The hotel is at a good spot. About 'around' the hotel:
LAUNDRY - There is a laundry facility very close. 10 USD for serviced wash 7 USD for self wash.
FOOD - Ty-coz is a fast food joint that is very popular. Along with a few other that are very reasonable and good.
SUPER MARKET - Well stocked super market. I found most of the things I needed there without having to go to Wal-mart. But I guess Wal-mart is a addiction.
TOURS - The prices of tours offered by these two ladies were most competitive. I had already booked online before reaching Cancun. Wish I had met them earlier.
BEACH - Well....it is only through the public beaches that you can access them. Playa Tortugas is close.

Finally my husband and me really had a good time in Cancun. We were within our budget thanks to this hotel. It helps to be aware. Good luck and feel free to contact me for any further info you many need.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple