“Wonderful Time at the Royal Sands”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #22 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Satrasota
“Wonderful Time at the Royal Sands”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We had a great time at the Royal Sands and actually spoke to someone this morning about our experiences. We would highly recomment it to others. The people are very friendly and courteous. Our personal concierge Edwardo was extremely helpful with offering services with the golf packages. We were able to extend our stay one more day with no problem with the help fo Valerie. We enjoyed the Salsa lessons with Felix and the Spa was wonderful. We would definitely consider coming back to the Sands or trying one of ohter resorts in the complex.

Room Tip: Higher levels offer great views of the beach and ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,203)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Great place to enjoy a week of relaxation. Great food onsite and near by. We love Harry's, Puerto Madero do not eat at new restaurant Cincola Mare across the street $200 for pasta and red sauce and a little bit of Lobster.

Abingdon, Maryland
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Between the ahhmazing views, personal conceirge (Raquel) and the whole entire staff. Its an amazing and relaxing vacation, it can be all on the go for excursions or just rest and relax by the ocean (with personal palapas) or a chair in the water at the pool.
The cleaniness of the beach, no seaweed to step around.
I love the extra step in recylcling as well having a special team to protect the tortuga (sea turtle) eggs..And then to be able to release them back to the ocean in late summer months..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lifesascrm
Masssapequa, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I just returned from the Toyal Sands, Cancun. I have been there at least 10 times, not as an owner but as a renter. This time I was very disappointed. The Villa I had was perfect, right on the beach. The most convenient room in the entire coplex and that convenience was great. This time though,ithere were big disappointments. First the quality of the food has gone down tremendoudly. I was very disappointed and altough I had lunch there I found the breakfast and lunch disappointing and went out for dinner every night. Even the drinks, although were good I was surprised there was no fruit. I guess the cut backs are in place.

The biggest issue was the towels. I guess I am spoiled and I like to shower and use 2 towels. When I asked for extra towels I was told I would have to pay $5.00 per towel.. Are you kidding me. Is this a 2 star resort. I can understand that if towels are stolen you should charge but this attitude was horrendous. Is'nt this a good property. Then for beach towels you are only allowed one per person. I guess I looked upset and he let us have 4 towels for 3 people which was duly returned. This kind of think is a big turn off. I have never stolen a towel becasue who would want them. I only want to use them. If this is such a big propblem advise people they have to accountfor their towels but they can use as many as they want.

WHile I was there My friend had a time share at the Melia and I went to visit there. Now I am not sure they are anywhere comparative from a star rating. I would assume not. But the difference wasso huge. For the same money it is unbelieveable what you can get and the quality and royal treatment. If the Sands wants to keep up I suggest you make some significant changes unless you are sold out and don't care.

Room Tip: The first floor, facing the beach near the pool is Great.
3 Thank elainequigleymet
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm sorry to read that you felt that the quality of food and drinks has gone down. I've already passed a copy of your comments to Food & Beverages Management in order to follow up on them.

Regarding the towels, the reason we limit them is in order to help the environment: The less towels we need to wash, the less detergent and other chemicals that will be used; not to mention the less water required to wash them as well.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards,

Camilo Olea
Community Manager
Royal Resorts
St. Catharinea
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We rent villas from owners a few times a year because we love staying at the Royal Sands. Since we rent, not own, we were approached by our conceirge to meet at the sales office to discuss the changes that would be "affecting us" in the future. We met with "Liza" who proceeded to tell us that in Oct, all renters would be expected to prepay on arrival 185UDS/day/person for the mandatory all inclusive package that was being instituted. She told us we would continue to have maid service but in an effort to give owners more privledges than renters, renters would have to pay for towels, shuttle service and snorkle equipment etc. So, actually they are not giving owners anything they dont already have. She defined a renter for us as anyone, even a member, occupying a week they did not acutally own ie renting an extra week from another owner to extend a stay or if an owner makes an exchange to a different week with the RS. This sounded absurd but she assured me, these changes were member driven. She told me that I come to RS "for the service" (actually its the beach and the villa; service is good b/c we tip in cash) how much I pay to rent a villa (she over estimated by $1300/wk and when I corrected her she said "that's all going to change the American Economy is booming again") and guessed at our air fare (again over by $500pp) and said this new AI plan would be a much better deal financially than booking at other all inclusives. She proceed to tell us that we could avoid the allinclusive fee if we became an owner by buying a villa. When I made it clear that wasnt going to happend the meeting was over. Liza told me how much they charge but having visited them myself I knew she really didnt have a clue as to cost. I could get a nice AI trip (including air and hotel) for what the RS proposes to charge for mandatory AI alone.
Further, as guests of the owner, we were not welcome to the Sunday "welcome party" as this was reserved for members only. We spent about $1700 at the resort over the 2 weeks of our stay. I noted the resort was happy to charge and collect that amount from a non-member, a bottom-feeder, such as myself and my husband. They sure wont be getting the 185USD/day from us when that starts. Sheila Krekorian and Joe Skura

Room Tip: all have the same set up and all have ocean view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Sheila K
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Guest:

I'm sorry to read that you feel this way, but I'd like to make it clear that the information you got from the concierge is actually incorrect.

We still haven't realeased the official pricing for our AI plan. Said information will be published on July. Until then, please disregard any pricing info you might get from any sources.

Our welcome party is a members-only event, as part of the perks our members enjoy.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards,